DAMMIT! I KNEW this would happen!

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by krieg, May 3, 2011.

1. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'm getting addicted to road riding. I found myself doing a 30 mile "ride around the block" this evening. The bad news is... it scares me to be on the road. The good news is... it scares me to be on the road.
    But I come home completely relaxed. [IMG] What's a guy to do?
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Ride more. I love DSing from my house, hitting some gravel and trails and road home. Liberating huh? Fun stuff. Still loving the 449?
    krieg likes this.
  3. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Aren’t you like half an hour from the dragon ? :eek:
    Man.........17 inchers, sticky rubber, you’re so close to some of the best roads in existence.......RIDE

:thumbsup:
  4. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, 1971 Bultaco
    Take it easy and enjoy it. Develop your "radar", look ahead. Those folks in the cages don't see you. It's your responsibility to look out for them. I've been a road rider for over thirty years, recently added off-road to my repertoire. I don't see it as instead of...it's in addition to. [IMG]
  5. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Are you kidding me???? I LOVE the 449. It does everything. Although, I must admit, tonight I had it to 65 MPH on the highway and I wimped out and found a back road. This bike, with DOT knobs, doesn't like to be on the road above 50-55 MPH. A steering damper might help! (HINT HINT) [IMG]
  6. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I think I've instinctively developed the "radar". I'm so paranoid on the road, I watch everything. I find myself so much more attentive to everything on a bike versus in my cars.
  7. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Actually, I'm about 3 hours from there. But I've ridden it in a Mini Cooper a few years ago. I think it would be fun on a bike. Maybe after a year of road experience.
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Congrats on discovering the "other side" of motorcycling, krieg :cheers:

Now do yourself a favor and go take the MSF street riding course. Seriously. Sign up tomorrow. I took it when I first started riding 25 years ago and I still practice what I learned in the class. I have no doubt in my mind that the training I received there has helped to keep me alive on my daily commutes into San Francisco on one of the busiest and gnarliest bridges in the country.
    The street is a different animal, and it takes a whole different skill set to stay alive and in one piece. Your dirt riding experience will help you be a better rider, but the training on how to actually stay alive is invaluable. Do it!

...and don't get a Hypermotard for your first real streetbike.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    yep, its fun and easy riding out there ... Use the dirt bike skills and U gotta keep a close watch on all traffic ... I treat them all , cars, trucks, intersections, stop lights , people walking as trail obstacles to be dealt with at every moment of the ride ...

Stay alert and stay alive ... Cuse one day, a car or truck is gonna come at you and the driver will never look because he did not see you ... And it is that same story every time ... So U gotta see them and drive around \ avoid them same a rock on the trails ...

Stay alert and stay alive :)

PS -- watch for coppers also ...
    Scootskipper likes this.
  10. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    If nothing else, you really start to get a sense for all your bikes after riding on road and off road. They really have different personalities. I'm feeling it a lot lately going from Triumph to Husky nearly every week. Stood up on the Triumph out of habit the other day crossing train tracks and unplugged my heated gear[IMG]. Ooops.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    There's a big different there also with braking .. Unless you are going SM, forget that lock up and slide move on the hard top ... And do remember the term 'speed limit' and the term 'reckless driving' ....

Rubber is the ~biggest issue I have now ... Knobbies just ain't for the street...
  12. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    When on the street just get ahead of or behind of, just don't stay in the traffic cluster. When I am coming to a stop or a slow down in traffic I always give my rear view a look in case I have to bolt away from some cager. The blacktop is fun! No need to be scared. [IMG]
    Muddy Waters likes this.
  13. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I find the road is very good fun and do it every week end but it is not as engaging and dirt riding. Love my Ducati but really adore my Husky
    WHITEROCKET5.9 likes this.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep, i always ride a little faster than traffic so I see what in front of me not whats overtaking me and hard to track.
    Muddy Waters likes this.
  15. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    yes, do this, and end up with this -> [IMG]
  16. ozzie Husqvarna
    AA Class

What I do is look at the hands on the steering wheel they are the first thing to move if some idiot doesn't look when your in traffic. Get your mind up to speed and then double it, and like what other people have said get in front of the traffic don't sit their with cars all around you. Here when you are stopped at the lights you can make your way to the front and stay in front of the traffic that way. Last one STAY OFF THOSE BLOODY WET WHITE LINES [IMG]

Kel
  17. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I agree with this 100%, although I will add that a little bit of fear will serve you well. Nothing to be scared of, but extreme vigilance of the highest order will keep you alive, plain and simple. So will knowing instinctively how hard you can brake with both front and rear, and knowing where your escape route is at all times. Practice evasive maneuvers. Know your safest position. This is all stuff that MSF will teach you...things you might not think of yourself. Give everyone a little extra room. Don't assume that because they have their right blinker on at the split that they're really going to go that way. Assume that they will swerve into your lane at the very last minute (hopefully before you've mentally deleted them from your "threat" radar) as soon as they realize the McDonalds is on that side, not the side they were heading for. I can't stress it enough...give everyone enough room to drive like a jerk while keeping them out of your crumple zone. Each and every vehicle out there is a threat to your health and safety, and if you ride with that mentality each and every day you will live a long and happy two-wheeled life [IMG] I know I probably sound kind of over-the-top to most folks, but I've been pretty much riding every day here in the SF Bay Area for the last 25 years (8 of which were car-free) and I think my safety record speaks for itself (that sound you hear is me knocking on wood [IMG]) I see carnage every day, and I read about it on the local forums all the time, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let it happen to me. It's a whole different thing being on a street bike in an urban environment. It can be rewarding and liberating, and it certainly effects my day in very positive ways when I arrive at work wide awake and alert in the morning, but it takes effort and a "clean slate" when hopping on. I kind of see it as doing battle. Every day when I get on my bike (whether commuting or riding pavement for fun) I ask myself "Are you ready for this?" and I always try to be honest with myself. If I'm angry or upset or focused on something other than the task at hand (arriving at my destination alive) I make sure it's all on the back burner before turning the key. It has served me well. The last time I didn't go through the drill I almost landed in jail due to a laundry list of offenses committed with tears streaming down my cheeks. I learned my very expensive lesson [IMG]
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'll add to all this that a nice big screened Garmin GPS is dangerous on a street bike. I had to fight myself from playing with it while riding. Pay attention Kelly !
  19. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    I might add, leave the bike in gear at stoplights and stop signs so you can get out of the way of the idiot on his cellphone that's not paying attention.
    I second the ride faster......... don't pace the cars or trucks next to you. Jersey Barriers don't work very well for bikes.

Be safe
  20. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

from the little road riding experiance i have on this bike ive already had one guy pull out of a truckin center in his suburban not even look my way while he was on his cell phone. to his defense my bike isnt street legal or anything and it was on a frontage road where from the way i was coming thers usually nothing but farm tractors........... fact is people dont watch, we all have our times. good luck n be safe out there!!