Death Vally dual-sport report & pictures - Part 2

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by MorrisBetter, Mar 28, 2012.

1. MorrisBetter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS
    Meanwhile, back in Titus Canyon....

I didn't get many pictures from the later parts of Titus Cn. It's an amazing place that should not be missed. Rock walls almost straight up. It's very narrow, and one-way traffic from east to west. This is shot of a rock formation that looks like sideways terrazzo flooring on steroids.
    IMG_01984.jpg

After the ride back to Stovepipe Wells, it was time for food and drink. Snore....

Day three involved packing up and moving to Furnace Creek Ranch where we staged for exploring the West Side Highway area. There are several canyons that lead off to the west from the "highway". The first one we tempted kicked our butts. After nine miles it was like riding in pea-gravel. Too much work, too little fun. We gave up with seven miles left on the route according to the Garmin.

This is a shot from the easy part. The canyon in the background is where the tough stuff was.

IMG_2011.jpg

We passed several of the other canyons . Another trip will be required to fill in the blanks.

The Queen of Sheba Mine Rd was the next side trip. It's six miles of 1st & 2nd gear riding. I had to stop in places to find the road. It looked more like river-bed than road in the good places.

The mine itself has been abandoned for who-knows how long. It's a weird place. I couldn't shake the feeling I was being watched. Keith said the same thing. I drew comfort from the 10mm Glock in my tool pack.

This is some of the dilapidated equipment that is everywhere.
    DSC_0048.jpg

And a view down the road that we came up.
    DSC_0066.jpg

We next headed out to Badwater road and pointed north. A quick stop at Badwater to breath some high-density air and taste the salt. Yup, it's salty.
    DSC_0075.jpg

Next stop was Dante's View for a different look at Badwater. It was warm at -282, but not so warm at 5,500 feet. The last few miles of the road to the top was damn cold. We zipped in the jacket liners and put on the cold-weather gloves. Problem solved. Amazingly, we had full strength cell service here. The nearest tower was 20 miles to the north at Furnace Creek. Go figure....
    DSC_0088.jpg

A moment to reflect...
    DSC_0091.jpg
    And that was it for day three. Back to Furnace Creek for a tasty salmon dinner and beers... And tequila. Snore....

Part 3/3 tomorrow.
    Dirtdame and MotoXotica like this.
  2. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    What Husky are you riding? What size is the tank? Did you carry extra fuel in a can? A stock Husky isn't DV friendly.
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Great shots of the view there .... ESP Dante's View and the walls in Titus Cn ... 5500 ft is pretty tall ...
  4. MorrisBetter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS
    The bike is an '08 TE510. The tank for the trip was the IMS 3 Gallon. I also strapped on an additional 1.85 Gal bottle on the back. I averaged 46MPG, so that gave me a calculated range of 220+ miles. The most we rode any one day was 185 miles, so I was comfortably within the limit.

You can see the extra bottle in this pic. I bought these bottles over ten years ago from an on-line surplus place. Didn't use them until this trip.
    IMG_2019.jpg
  5. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks like a fantastic journey.dan
  6. MorrisBetter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS
    I was great Dan. Thanks for finding that tank for me at the last minute.
  7. jfoulkrod Husqvarna
    AA Class

Were the mines old Borax mines?
  8. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    46mpg? Wow. I avg 35 on my 310 and 40 on my 610. And no aftermarket tanks are available for either.
  9. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
  10. MorrisBetter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS
    The borax came from down in the valley floor. I think most of the mines in the hills were gold mines.
  11. jfoulkrod Husqvarna
    AA Class

Would have been nice if you found a few gold nuggets at the mine entrance.
  12. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Scotty would be livid. After all that time lying to his benefactor about gold, only to have some hoodlum biker reach down and pick up a nugget.

DV is such a cool place. I've yet to do any off road riding there, although I've been there twice for street rides. The right trip at the right time just hasn't happened yet. That might change next year. One can hope! :)