1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Desert racing set up for the 300.

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Blair7, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Blair7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300, 93 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 WR250F, 01 YZ250 2t, 98 VTR1000
    I'm looking into entering a few races in the outback and was wondering what set ups you desert rats run?
    I've got the high compression head but I was considering running the stock head with a thicker base gasket. Also I'm running the smart carb but have not had much chance for any sustained high speed riding with it, does anyone think the absense of a Power jet (like on the Lectron) would have any detrimental effects?
  2. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    Probably need to go do some 1/2 to 3/4 and full throttle plug readings before the race to make sure you are safe.
    ASO likes this.
  3. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Why would you want to use a thicker base gasket? the compression with std head isn't especially high and thicker gasket will effect port timing.
  4. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would also choose the standard head. I,m no fan of high compression on long wot runs. it builds up more heat, which kills horsepower, and Engine bearings will take more beating too. you will probably get quite high exhaust temp if you run the stock pipe with it's narrow stinger section. I would use a motocross pipe and silencer if they have bigger stinger section to avoid heat buildup if you run on wot for a while.
    ASO likes this.
  5. ASO Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610-08 WR300-10
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 65sx
    If you run long time WOT never brake with the engine because it will run high rpm without lubrications... Pull the clutch and rock the throttle few times
    Johnnymannen likes this.
  6. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

What??? I just keep it pinned and hit the kill switch My kid back in the day when he won the # 1 plate in the desert on a YZ 85 use to tell me once the banner dropped he never lifted It was funny to hear how he rode, pinned and to slow down he would hit the kill button. Never blew a motor
    I was a sen Expert on a YZ450 then even won a #2 plate and the little kid beat me a few times When you lift you shut off the fuel and the fuel has the oil the piston needs
    I have been racing my 300 in the desert for a few years now with no problem Here is my set up
    Stock 2010 Wr 300 motor with 2002 CR 250 electronics
    Stock 2006 WR 250 carb I bought from Walt I swear it is stock and I do not even know how it is jeted and I never change it from sea level to 8,000 feet
    FMF Pipe with turbin core spark arrestor because we have to have a sparkey
    Stock gearing no matter where I go 13/48 about 80 mph tops But 14/48 is rocket fast top end and the motor will pull it
    around 35 to 40 to 1 with leaded race gas straight 110 do not know if it needs it but it works for me
    Zip ty coolant with stock rad and rad caps you will never lose any coolant as the zip ty stuff will not boil
    Stock air filters but I really put a lot of air filter oil on them
    Stock spark plug #8
    That is about it for the motor now it is the suspention that makes it a winner Ohlins ft and rear
  7. ASO Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610-08 WR300-10
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 65sx
    If you do that you will get unburned gas to exhaust pipe perhaps with the bad results..