DirtRider Magazine's First Impression: Husqvarna TE And TXC449

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by DesertHusky, Jan 27, 2011.

1. DesertHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    This bike is sounding like it should rule in the desert where traction and straight line stability are premier qualities for a bike...
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Let's dont get the MX hopes too high, the platform/chassis feels more XC than MX. As for enduro/dez/XC it is really good feeling.
    And with a tech thought about how and where the all new bike has been racing in US BITD and H&H comp thus far it is amazing from an racing evolutionary standpoint. They are really "right there" with the other brands with only a couple of races under the belt in a real alien environment from the engineering and test areas of Italy. Think, a brand new racing machine with different tech and its all ready competitive with the much evolved other brands. short of fuel, hard to quick fill, some electro gremlins, easy to solve and bullet proof. no chassis issues,motor issues thus far this thing looks good and competitive at the nat/world level coming out of the gate, that is impressive.
  4. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

A couple of thoughts about the ride impressions in SoCal [Cycle News, DB and DR]:

1. Not much mention of weight as an issue. There hasn't been any "top heavy" sort of comments like there was at the intro of the TC in Italy.

2. The different feel during turning [a bigger deal in MX to be sure] the bikes exhibit seems to make sense to me intuitively. The CTS essentially removes the "squat" of a "normal" bike under acceleration. Thus, the rear end is higher under throttle and a taller bike [higher center of gravity] is harder to turn. Seems logical to me.

3. The CTS is bound to give the whole bike a "peculiar" feel and those comments seem to be present in all of the reviews. The flavor I get though is that even though the bike feels strange -- you get used to it. Prediction -- once you get used to it and the advantages in traction and stability -- you'll have a hard time switching back. Think -- steering damper or Rekluse.

4. Engine is good -- consistent with thoughts on the BMW. Not one complained of lack of power. Some said there was no "hit." I don't get that myself. If you want "hit" why not slip the clutch a bit?

I'm stoked. My local dealer is bringing some of his bikes to my club's ride day in March. He sells Husky, Gas Gas and Husaberg. I'm hoping to ride the 310 and a 449/511. Maybe meet you Portland/Vancouver guys in Bend and beg a spin in the springtime...
  5. DesertHusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    on the whole "squat" thing: ....bikes dont squat under accell, they (non-atak/cts types) lift in the rear due to a lever (torque) effect from the chain.

sames why ya gas it to jump farther/reduce bottom on take off, and, gas on landings to keep from splatting. the chain is a lever and unloads the spring reducing sprung weight. conventional design has an advantage for mx app's there as well as less tendancy to stand up in corners (still atin figured that one out). conventional design uses much lighter springs too.

just some info etc....off topic i know sorry.

still want a TC511, like right NOW.
  7. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good info -- I can't wait to see one of these sexy beasts up close and personal. [IMG]
  8. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    me too....im super horny for a TC511, did i mention that already? lol.

dude, is that a submariner logo on your avatar? my brother served in the silent service, looks familar.
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    As you guys see I am telling you, it just looks and feels very refined, almost makes everything else kind old school looking even the Al perimeter Japanese models and the latest Katos look very normal/familiar and average in comparison. You will all be impressed at the "hi-tech" look and layout they are very slick in design and execution. (from my 1 day limited view/ride of the TXC511)
    The ride feel is just a little different nothing way out of the "norm", just different, I think any competent rider(all of us included) will get used to this machine with no issues and learn to exploit the new chassis tech to advantage.
  10. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yup -- USS Gurnard SSN 662 Fast Attack Boat stationed in San Diego. Been there done that![IMG]
  11. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    right on! thought so. thanks fer yer service man. [IMG]
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The OP review seems to be a little different than the rest. Others found no problem sliding the rear end. And the other reviews found the motor made great power bottom to top where this guy says it is all mid range. Also stalled it which the other reviews say is very hard to do. Interesting.
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I was just reading 2 reports on a 011 TE310 ... both good but they kind of contradicted each other slightly on the engine performance ... maybe it is just different test riders or maybe the writers are just winging it some ... there is really only so much that can be said ....

That new FS system is gonna add traction and a different feel and riding style apparently, even though some reviews did not say this out right ... I would not be surprised if the bike is a tracker and not so much a slider ... U'll find out soon for real enough ...

DW also said the suspensions feel different between the TE and TXC models ... Expected I'd think ...
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just think and be aware of the different testers and the skill sets of the testers. Some of the Magazine guys are B level riders and some are sen A and some are AMA # Pros or vet pros. So there will always be differing reports.
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Dave,

When is your ride day? I would love to come down and check out the new models.
  16. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Walt -- The weekend will be March 26/27. We are camping out in the desert south of Boise [about 45 minutes or so]. My local club [TVTMA] has its annual "Chili Ride" that weekend. We'll camp Friday and Saturday nights. There will be people taking off on rides both days with stuff for all ages [including the kids]. I'll probably tag along with Motosapiens on one of his long ones. Sunday there are usually a couple of dealers who bring bikes out to ride around a bit -- usually Moto Tech brings out some bikes [they carry Husky, Gas Gas and Husaberg]. Last year they brough an FX450 Husaberg and the TXC 250 [which I enjoyed a bunch]. No telling what they will bring out this year... won't know until it gets closer. After a day of riding there is usually pots and pots of Chili to consume along with your beverage of choice. If you are itching for a road trip -- come on down. It should be a hoot.

BoiseDave
  17. n4hhe Husqvarna
    C Class

I'd like to see a free body diagram of that. An initial look finds the chain under tension being pulled over the swing arm pivot which results in a moment which serves to compress the suspension.

Then under acceleration there is the tilting of the center of gravity vector, which further contributes to rear squat.

I think I can make an argument that the concentric swingarm pivot does nothing for rear jacking/swat. All it really does is maintain constant amount of slack in the chain. That any difference in jacking/swat is due to changes in the chain tension.

Someone who has a bike might consider putting it on a bike stand with rear in the air. Lock the back brake while slipping the clutch in 1st. I think you will see the rear wheel rise as the swingarm tries to rotate with the countershaft sprocket.