1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st DIY Pipe Guard

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by KXcam22, Dec 19, 2012.

1. KXcam22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630, 2017 300XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    08FZR6;07CRF450;98CBR900RR;02KTM200
    I thought I would post this DIY for a kevlar/fiberglass pipe guard I built a few years ago. Ended up building 7 of them. It was very simple and highly successful. I did not use the high temp resin, which might be better.
    1. With the pipe on the bike, mark an outline of the area to be protected.
    2. Remove the pipe and wrap it in saran wrap.
    3. Using fiberglass or kevlar roving, fiberglass the marked area making sure to overlap. I tried to end up with at leat 1/4" thick. I used kevlar roving for the main part just because I had some, but the fiberglass ones I made worked as well or better. I made a thin shell then removed it from the pipe once cured. With the shell on the bench I then built up the FG layers. Roving works the best and is very string.
    4. Once cured, trim the outsides and smooth the edges with a file. The finished guard should clip onto the pipe. In final form it gets attached with 2 large hose clamps.
    5. Paint the outside and put a layer of tinfoil on the inside for a heat sheild.

When the pipe gets hot you will smell fiberglass resin. This goes away after 2 or 3 rides. Since this guard is so strong I would suggest glassing in a mount so that you can attach it to the frame for additional support. Here are some pics. Cam. _0021_resize.JPG _0022_resize.JPG _0023_resize.JPG PG_s.jpg
    marcmo0, john01 and surfer1100 like this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice work. I have done a same a few times on some pipes no one made a guard for.
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Vey cool. I may give that a try one day. I even have some Kevlar if that can be added to the mix :thinking:. Man I'm starting to itch just thinking about fiberglass!
  4. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    Very cool. I made a clutch cover guard the same way for my KTM and a pipe guard for my Husky is on the to-do list for this winter.
  5. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    That is great! Thanks for sharing