1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Do 125 piston kits really go from 98-2013?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by old3, Feb 16, 2013.

1. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm starting to look for a ring or full piston kit for my 99 WR125. Do the parts really cross over from 98 thru todays new 2013 125s? Any difference in the WR vs. CR 125 pistons or cylinders in 99? Was OEM a single ring or double?

Thanks, Jim
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Same piston. Single ring. OEM piston is a very quality piece.
    jmetteer, CelticDude and ray_ray like this.
  3. Race858 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 CR 125
    Yes they do fit that many model years.
  4. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Awesome, thank you. Looks like I'll just ring mine then.
  5. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Does that go for gaskets too? Specifically the cylinder base gasket? I can get a ring in there with just that, right? Thanks, Jim
  6. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

LOL! I thought the ring might be a bit tired as it was so easy to kick, till my son tried it and said it had at least as much resistance as his KTM 125 with a brand new top end. I guess that I need to adjust more than my riding style going back to a 125! Looks like the top end can wait!
  7. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts

I put a new piston in mine, a 1998 without breaking the head/cylinder connection. The only reason I did that is power valve broke where a little rod pushes and pulls it in it's bore. If you hear a vzzz kind of noise stop immediatly before the powervalve hits the piston. The origional is quite an impressive high quality item at least in my opinion. The advice I go was to use the thinnest gasket which I did and that was what was in there at least within my error range.

The ktm 125/200 design seems to be able to carbon up and stick but none of the parts seem like they can get loose. I can't see a way to inspect the place that failed without taking the cylinder off. The husky design neved did carbon up and stick on me.

Attached Files:

8. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Frank. Do you recall if the gasket is the same as later/current models?

Jim