1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st do 2 strokes flood like the 4 strokes when dropped ??

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by rabskyline, Jan 7, 2010.

1. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    most 4 strokes i have had will flood a little and can need a bit of cajoling to get on again..
    my mates 2006 wr250 seems to go first hit no matter what and so does his 2010 wr300.. now, i like the button and the only way i would give it up in this hot climate would be for a bike that does that first time every time thing so i am not knackered in 100 deg heat ! ...so , is it just his bike or are they all like that for some reason ?? i'd like to know why ?
  2. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

2 stroke are all like that.

i dont know why besides they are just better then 4 strokes :)
  3. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    Once when my WR250 sat upside down for several minutes, I had to hold the throttle wide open and kick it twice to get it started...

:thumbsup:
  4. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It takes 3 kicks to light my Wr250 no matter where.

Could take a month to light my Yamaha 426 after a drop.
  5. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I think anything with a carberator will potentially "flood" when tipped on it's side. Be it a 2t or 4t.

I was surprised the first time my 510 (which is FI ) flipped over backwards on a steep hill and crashed. Time I rolled down the hill got up made sure I wasn't broken, ran up hill to my bike which was almost a minute... it was still running. :D

:cheers:
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Two strokes clear faster than four strokes because every time the piston comes up, it's on a compression stroke and the fuel is sitting in the crank waiting to go to the combustion chamber via the transfer ports, as opposed to a four stroke where the combustion stroke only occurs on every other upstroke and the fuel is already sitting in combustion area wetting up the the sparkplug.
  7. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

we watched a guy kick his yzf450 for two hours straight at the moto track last weekend,even if he got it runnig (which he didnt) he would have been soo tire from kicking it he couldnt possibly have rode very long
  8. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well said. There is also much less (well maybe not so much anymore) rotating mass in a 2 stroke so one kick usually results in more rotations and chances to light. No valves, cams, rockers, etc., etc. to get moving. My old Yammy XT600 was a major pain in the rear to kickstart but that was older 4 stroke tech and only had a compression release; no magic button.

If a 2 stroke floods, turning off the petcock and giving it a few kicks usually clears the fuel from the system pretty quick. My WR lights 1st or 2nd kick everytime and maybe 3rd or 4th kick after getting flooded. Of course, having the right plug and good spark always helps.

My son's friend kicks his YZ85 halfway through the kickstart stroke and it lights almost everytime. That's almost as good as a push button start.
  9. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

............and they smell good too :D
  10. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

I have noticed that the Mikuni on my WR300 is just slightly more prone to flooding than the Keihins on my KTMs, when for example I'm having to turn the bike around on a narrow trail and I tip it over a bit too far.
    But all I gotta do is turn off the petcock, hold the throttle wide open, and kick maybe twice.
  11. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

2 strokes in the old days used to flood (Load up) more. Then came reed valves, better carbs, and electronic ignitions. They would start but would rev. Just sit there an blubber until you turned the fuel off and waited till the carb went dry and then it would rev up and you cut the gas back on before it died. About a 1 or 2 minute process.
    4 strokes are not bad if you have a manual compression release and know how to use it.
    DR
  12. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    FI is a different concept... my mate lies down his sherco and we use the stand or a tree in the bush... he treats it like a bmx on his driveway ! :lol:.. no petcock and no leaky.. brilliant ! oh, and a button too ! thats the way ahead surely ? EFI 2 STROKE.. :thumbsup:
  13. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Gosh, I hope not.
  14. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    why not ?? dont you like fuel injection ? it smooths out engines and also fuel economy is optimum !
  15. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I personally don't care one way or another about fuel injection. But if it can get our motorcycles (especially two strokes) out on the trails legally, then it's all good.:D