1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Do I have a leak or something else to be concerned about?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by gandalf, Nov 9, 2008.

1. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

So, everytime I ride, I notice this area appears to be wet and gather dirt even when it isn't wet out. Is this normal?

[IMG]

Attached Files:

2. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I should note, it's always been this way and I probably should've asked the question a few months ago. The main point being that this isn't new.
  3. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Can you tell if it's oil or coolant? Maybe weep from the water pump seal? or maybe from the bolts that mount it. Put a little RTV on the bolt threads first as it quick and easy. Either way it's not much of a leak, just annoying.
  4. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

It's not oil and I don't think it's coolant either unless it's a very small amount. Maybe I should take it out clean and only ride it on the street where it can't get dirty and see what the wetness is? Is the water pump seal easy to replace? Maybe I shouldn't really worry much but always keep an eye on it?

Thanks,
    --g
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It's water slowing leaking out the water pump bolts. It's fine but can be stopped with sealant if you like.
  6. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just put a little black RTV sealant on the bolts? Thanks again guys:cheers:
  7. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mine does the same and Kelly informed me of the same, but I never sealed it...no problems as he said!
  8. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good to know fitness. I'm thinking I'll do the same until I have a good reason to take care of it. Thanks.
  9. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Hmm, two men say they are Jesus, one of them must be wrong. It's got to be either oil or coolant. :)

I wouldn't worry about it, just wipe it up after a ride.
  10. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    Mine does the same thing....now i know!
  11. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Will do.:busted:
  12. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Not enough to be oil leak, probably the white lithium grease used during assembly melting then ozzing out. Just keep eye on fluids should be fine. Later George
  13. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks George, I'll keep an eye on the fluids.:cheers:
  14. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

I've had that happen before on other bikes, but never that much. Personally, I would drain the coolant and replace that gasket. Due to its proximity to the valve cover, I would be curious as to wether or not it's getting in there. If it were mine & was doing it that much, I would have to investigate and change that gasket, but that's just my opinion. If it kept doing it after the gasket change, I would remachine the surface of the pump cover & regasket-under the premace that it's not flat. Though it may not get much worse for a long while, it's not going to get better.
  15. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    Bet it's coolant.....check yer hoses.

If it really gets on yer nerves, Flush and clean that area and get it bone dry then do a propper leak-check. Baby-powder blown on with a turkey baster works in a pinch...
  16. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Have you checked to ensure the torque on those three bolts is to spec?
  17. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Will do. Thanks.
  18. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks. I'm going to keep an eye on it and when I have the opportunity I'll check out the gasket.