1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st ducatti vespa cdi onto sem stator

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by ty w, Sep 14, 2012.

1. ty w Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 wr 240-250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha IT 200 , yamaha TY 250
    so i bought an 84 wr 240. 5th ride blew piston,bought 250 piston, bored n rebuilt to find out its off balance( twisted crank), back apart trued new seals n bearings, reassembled , now no spark i must have rotated it without the spark plug grounded, dead cdi :( so in the search to find one i discovered so many that seem so similar. so i ordered thu ducatti one for vespa for 33$ total shipped from germany. plug in got spark check by timing light its on time ish about 2mm btdc. put plug in and kick and it fires and starts, but wont rev past about 2000rpm, timing light says the spark is cutting out at above 2000 or so rpm. think think think, check many a forum saw some using resistors and capacitor to buffer the trigger signal. the sem stator has higher resistances than the vespa one so i suspect the sem puts a stronger charge and trigger signal. so using a variable potentiometer i made a simple voltage reducer, (like 2 series resistors) to drop the trigger voltage and voila , now revs up :) i live in an appartment so i cant run it for too long in the underground parkade, but for the 10 seconds it ran for, it seemed better, hitting 7000 rpm smoothly and not cuttin out at 2000. my refining is not quite finished nor do i know if it will last, but ive progress and thought to share. and i do sincerely appologise for making mix match husky, but someone has to forge a way to replace the expensive not available mith cheap and readily available
    i thought this was a good idea
    hindsight is,,,
  2. ty w Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 wr 240-250
    Other Motorcycles:
    i like this bike, but shes angry,looks neglected, and judging by the nearly new trelleborg tires, i suspect shes hasnt had much riding for the last decade. now rescued, safe and in a good home. must have had water in case as the crank case inside has corroded on the inside, where the original black coating was machined off for clearance purposes. how unfortunate.the rear fender was missing so ive crafted one from a white plastic pail, even cut around to keep the warning of the drounding baby. funny thing is that nobody even notices that its not original until i point it out, i think im gonna mount some sort of tail light on it.
  3. ty w Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 wr 240-250
    Other Motorcycles:
    so i test drove alright , but not quite as fast as it could. im not sure if timing advance curve is right. or if there is in vespa cdi? now im thinking to get a variable timing curve cdi. first more ride to get in tune, might be thats it. also i delayed the timing so it dont kick back like it used to, which no doubt effects power
  4. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Post your questions here, you'll probably get more feed back.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/vintage-restoration-projects.67/
  5. ty w Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 wr 240-250
    Other Motorcycles:
    ridden more, tuned a bit, rips a plenty :) :) :)
    seems i need more armour and pilot skills, and a clutch lever. cursed blackberry, piq-piq, under bandage, sting more, they'll come out, in time
  6. ty w Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 wr 240-250
    Other Motorcycles:
    about the vespa cdi coil, i went back to the drawing board. it was a hastle, adjustin the pot for start speed spark of high speed spark, and if it wasnt starting wondering about the spark. so i tried the nice looking gold box in aluminum heat sink, supposed to ge racing curve.that system fired once at tdc and next fire would be half way up compression stroke. nomatter how much i rotated stator. so i found blueprints for original sem cdi and set out to build one. finally, after months of figuring ive a gone full circle and now take the other path to find out its only a few hours not months, i should have done this first. so i made my own cdi and it works on many 12 volt igniter coil
    after a four hour rip im so impressed that ill offer to make them upon request. small like a flasher relay like one inch cube. actually if you use the chinese scooter round coil with the green and black bossed terminal conector that hangs by one bolt mount hole, itll be a lighter set up than original one piece cdi coil, not by a hole lot, but better than heavier. and i think it will work with any sem stator, i think. some where i read they changed resistances on stator windings at some pointand so the one i made is for the 22 ohm trigger pickup and 1750 ohm ignition power coil. i forget actual values but around there.
    if you go to any bike shop in this town they tell you the part is obsolete and nothing to replace it with. even though they where used well into the 2k century. they will try to sell you on a whole new set up thatll cost a fortune. i dont know if there any better, possibly, more in it to go wrong probably as with most modern stuff.
  7. ty w Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 wr 240-250
    Other Motorcycles:
    ... and heres a thought, cause i can build cdi so small, why not put 2 unit in one block, for when you finally reach BFN and it craps out, you swich 4 wires and run on backup.ive ordered more parts and when they arrive thats what im gonna do. and with the small size of the scooter coil, you could have an entire redundant ignition fit nicely under the gas tank. all except for the stator.if that blow youre up the creek
  8. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Looks like you've been talking to yourself here! I'm a MacGiver type myself! I appreciate your efforts!
  9. ty w Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 wr 240-250
    Other Motorcycles: