Dumb Ass move of the month

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Jimmy250, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    So I am a Dum Ass! I was cleaning the air filter the other night after doing a routine oil/filter change. I hung the filter to dry and stuffed a blue paper shop towel in the air boot so no dirt could get in till I re-installed the air filter. Well--I forgot and started the bike up and I was like why is the bike revving to like 8k RPM. shut the bike down looked it over and it wasn't till I walked away for awhile that I remembered doing all that. So I took off the air boot loosened the sub frame and found towel stuck in throttle body. Pulled it out with pliers and now bike seems to be fine took it up the street and seems normal! Can you guys think of anything else I should have done like should I have taken the throttle body out and inspected it etc? Thanks for reading and much appreciate your feedback. Jim
  2. Indorider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TZM, Suzuki RGR (2 smokers)
    Depends on if the shop towel is still intact or not. If it's all there I wouldn't worry about it.
    We all do stupid stuff while working on our bikes. Recently I was power washing under my fenders (the only spot on the bike I powerwash) and wrapped my powercommander/AT and airfilter with plastic (just in case). After I washed the bike i went for a spin around the block to air dry her out. Man it was running bad, thought I'd sprayed water somewhere I shouldn't have. Opened the seat, hmmm a plastic wrapped air filter probably doesn't make for a good fuel mixture. Bet that Autotune was goin' crazy trying to map the FI!
    duggoey likes this.
  3. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    Thx it looks like the very end got a little chewed up but the rest was really intact. So I quess its ok?
  4. Bart Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC450, 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TM Racing EN300 and EN450
    Strange it actually ran with that little air in it, must've been awfully lean.
    Anyway I wouldn't worry to much about it, if it runs okay, well then keep on riding.
  5. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    Thx agreed! Just feel like an ass! I am really anal about my bikes and I was so side tracked I totally forgot! Should have left the seat off as a reminder. I will never do that again Lol
  6. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    Don't feel too bad,I and probably quite a few others have done the same thing:lol:.
    Jimmy250 likes this.
  7. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    I would guess that if it made it though the body and intake valves it would have been vaporized into carbon and went out your exhaust. That is if it was normal paper, if it was a cloth type it may be a different story.
    Jimmy250 likes this.
  8. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    Agreed! I rode this week and it rode great!!! Thx Jim
    duggoey likes this.
  9. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    I once had a 1975 DT250 set up for ice racing-about 10 years ago so it was already old haha. When I bought the bike it had been sitting in a shed for many years. When i put the bike up on the lift to tear it down and go over it, I opened the airbox cover and about 2 cups of dogfood poured out onto the lift! I thought I had gotten all the dogfood out and weeks later, out on the local iced over lake, I took my first lap. Bike was running great and was sliding into the turns just like you would expect from a short, overweight, underpowered 2 stroke from the 70s. About halfway around my second lap, I was headed into a turn. Closed the throttle and she kep screamin along! After many cuss words, frantic maneuvers, and holding down the kill switch while falling over, I got the bike shut off.
    Low and behold, there was one more piece of dog food in there. In bounced and rolled its way down the intake boot from the airbox and sat behind the slide/needle and locked the carb in full throttle haha!
    Cleaned it out and rode the rest of the day.
    OlderHuskyRider and 268fords like this.
  10. Jimmy250 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Polaris Quad
    Omg too funny!