1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc dumb transmission assembly question. wr 6 speed conversion

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Wheelie, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Wheelie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    couple honda vtr's
    finally getting around to putting my wr 250 motor back together after ~8 months of having it apart (yikes!) anyways, im not sure how to tell if the mainshafts are shimmed correctly in the cases? I assembled it and put the cases together, it seems to shift through the gears correctly, although sometimes the shifter jams where it wont select the next gear, if I give the input (or output) shaft a swift back and forth the shift drum seems to click back and allow for the next gear. I chalked this up to not being able to consistenly spin the input shaft by hand while shifting.

does this make sense? sorry if my description isn't very good, im just nervous about putting this time (and $) into my motor only to have it come apart as soon as I get it into (what I hope to be) overdrive greatness!
  2. WVdag Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250 W/300 kit, 2013 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1987 Harley FXLR 10th year edition
    I'm assuming that you put a six speed in it??? That would be normal to have to jiggle the main shaft to engage. Just like when you try to find neutral and have to rock back and forth. When I installed mine just made sure the end play wasn't excessive but not to tight so as not to bind up .
  3. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

My guess is that you are fine. How much in and out play is in the out put shaft? The input shaft is held captive by the clutch. You want ~.005" of play but I have seen them work fine with none and also >.010".
  4. WVdag Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250 W/300 kit, 2013 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1987 Harley FXLR 10th year edition
    Mr. Wallybean coached me through mine. Very much appreciated it.
  5. Wheelie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    couple honda vtr's
    thanks guys, ya im putting a 94 wxe 6 speed in, im really excited about this, been a long & slightly rough road to get these parts and get start putting it together, but I think its going to be sweet. i'll check the in & out play on the ouput when I get back to the motor (taking tonight off from wrenching for a 400 mile road trip to collect a streetbike motor so I can fix that bike too!)
  6. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    The clearances are what I'm used to working on other bikes and make sense to me. Before I took my 250 apart for the conversion I checked and had .015"+. I put the gearset in and can't remember exactly, but had .018"+. I called Hall's and Brian (I think) said .015"-.025" is the spec. Sounds big to me,:excuseme: but it shifts fine.
    wallybean likes this.