1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Dwight was Right! Wr-125-144 Suspension

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by CelticDude, Apr 6, 2012.

1. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Per Dwight's posting on the subject I first changed over to a 4.0 Kg fork spring from the stock 4.2 and since Dan had a 5.4 rear spring in stock I tried that last weekend. Much better! But since Dwight insisted that the 6.0 Kg rear spring was right for this bike, I had Dan go ahead and order one for me. This is not a standard spring available from Husky. I tried it out today and it is perfect! The bike feels very balanced and never kicks the backend up like it did with the stock spring and all headshake is gone. Thanks, Dwight! :cheers:
    Vinduro likes this.
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I think I need stiffer springs for my 08 CR how can you tell which one's you need?
  3. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

At 170lbs I have been using 5.8 rear and 3.8 front. Love it.
    Vinduro likes this.
  4. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Have to use Dwights method on preload amount on ring collar. Older pre 09's use a different linkage ratio, so spring doesn't have to go as high. Newer frame have the increase linkage ratio, thus have to go up on spring. My 250 is I think 5.8 now but my 09 125 is 6.4kg.
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks I'll look into it.
  6. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
  7. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks I read all 6 pages and it just hurt my head LOL. I'm going to make a call on Monday and see how much can be done for me. Not that I'm lazy just suspension challanged :D. Thanks agin for all the info provided.
  9. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Nobody can just pull the correct springs out of the air for you. You must set the sags correctly to get the correct ones. Maybe someone here weighs similarly to you and you can just what they used. DO NOT JUST GO TO SOME TUNER AND EXPECT GOOD RESULTS. They will change things but past experiances tells me that most just know about tuning for MX and nothing about offroad. You can't go to websites spring generator and get the correct springs for your weight. It just doesn't work that easy.
    ohmygewd likes this.
  10. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Must say I am a bit confused with the 6.0 kg spring on these 125/144s
    Is the linkage different from the 250/310s as I thought it was the same? Antoine Meo and Juha Salminen dont even use anything like that on there works bikes and I think that are just a tad faster than most !!
    All the test in the MX versions all seem to settle on between 5.4 and 5.8 at a maximum so please someone enlighten me an others as to why
  11. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
  12. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I set the rear sag with the stock springs.
  13. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

What does that mean ? Does that mean you have 33mm static and 103mm rider ? With stock spring ? Or do you mean you set your rider sag to 100-103mm ? I could do that too but my rear was way too high and had trouble throwing a leg across. I also found that I got a smoother ride with the heavier spring due to less preload on the shock spring. Too much preload makes it harder for the shock to respond to the smaller roots and rocks. You want 8mm or less on the spring preload. You will have this when you have the correct spring for your weight and bike.
  14. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Go read my post about setting suspension.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/vinduros-suspension-setup-recommendations.17836/#post-155652
    You can set any suspension regardless of travel as long as you figure out your percentages. On the rear you want 11% of available travel in static sag and 34% in rider sag. You still want less than 10mm in preload on the shock spring. If you can't figure this , let me know and I will do it for you and post it here.
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Awesome I appreciate all the help I can get. Yep I have 102mm rider sag and yep the bike is real TALL in the rear and very stiff front and rear. It's a little better with the comp all the way out but still needs help. Now I need to get the static sag numbers.
  16. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I don't want to hj this thread so if you like I will start a new one. I just got my measurements I have the following: 102 mm rider sag rear, 16mm static sag rear, 64mm front rider sag, 45mm front static sag. This is on a stock 08 CR125 (WB165). So how do I get from this info to which springs I need? Thanks.
  17. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Successfully using the 6.0 spring I think is a case of a heavier spring with less preload to get your numbers. I think this would give you the ability to tune the compression dampening for a nice cushy first few inches of travel. (off road advantage) I also believe that all spring manufacturers aren't spot on when they label their springs. I have no doubt that it would work. I use a 5.6 spring that is longer than the stock spring and with 8mm preload my numbers come out right. I weigh 210 with no gear.

Some of this is going to boil down to personal preference.
  18. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It is the Static sag that will make it easier to get on and off the bike and keep the rear from being so TALL feeling. Also the less preload will make a plusher ride.
  19. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

OK, You need to go down a size in the front forks. Right now you have almost too much static sag and not enough rider sag. You want 42mm static (+-2mm) and 75mm rider sag.
    On the rear you want 35mm static sag (+-2mm) and a rider sag of 109mm (+-2mm). Your preload should be about 8mm. Back off your preload and reset to get a rider sag of 109 and then see what your static sag is. Right now you are trying to push the front end down in the corners with too little rider sag / too much preload in the rear. Both ends need to work together. You will probably need a bit stiffer rear spring but not as much a change as we have to make on the newer bikes.
  20. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

MX bikes need more preload so they can bounce higher over jumps. Offroad bikes need plusher suspension so not to bounce off roots and rocks. How do you know what springs Antoine and Juha use ? Works bikes are also just that Works bikes. They could have altered suspension linkages. I also don't know what they weigh.