1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Easiest way to fit gudgeon circlips - tips?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Neesmo31, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Neesmo31 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR300, 2010 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Did have - XC125, KDX200, XR250
    Hey all, doing a rebuild on my 125 and would like to know the easiest way to install the circlips into the piston. I have tried a few different ways, pliers and curl them in, fingers and push them in etc etc.... but it seems quite hard at times. I have been practicing with my old piston and circlips as everyone knows how soft the piston material actually is. One little slip and you could damage the piston either with the pliers or by scratching the piston with the clip.

What seems to be the best method for doing these with the least possible chance of stuffing a new piston? Success stories appreciated :)

Thank you.
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have seen a little circlip tool that should make it easy. I just start one end and use a small screw driver and carefully push the other end in. Next time I see that little tool I'm gonna get me one :D.
  3. Freaky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250 x-lite Race ECU/Injector
    I use a really small pair of long nosed pliers, I've used a small screw driver too but after one circlip sprung accross the shed, never to be found again, I prefer to have a grip on these lively little fellows!
  4. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    swearing at them helps together with shaking your fist Basil fawlty style.
    Robracer, shawbagga and Freaky like this.
  5. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I use a pair of short nosed hemostats. They hold the clip pretty well, lock down, and are small enough to maneuver. Also, make sure you put one circlip in the piston at the work bench. There's no need to risk dropping TWO circlips in the bottom end by installing them both while the piston is attached to the con rod.
  6. utopia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250, WXC125
    The tool is called a c-clipper. They have a website. Saves a lot at time and cursing. Worth every penny.
  7. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Look at the threat MATTR put together for installing the 165. He did a whole section, including tools, and parts you need for the tool to install this clip. Seems if you dont want to fight it, this is the way to go.
  8. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Here is a link to the index thread. If you scroll down to the Big Bore section (post #5), you will see the links that Blake refered to (teardown & install for the WB165).
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2-stroke-thread-index.23293/

The c-clipper tool from Bux Tools is worth it. It was a breeze to install. Highly recommended!
    john01 likes this.
  9. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks guys I knew I saw a pic of the c-clip tool and now I can order one :cheers:. See Nessmo31 ask on this site and you will receive great info; awesome site.
  10. Neesmo31 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR300, 2010 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah cheers for that link page :) Seeing as though i wont be able to get that tool tonight lol, i might have to go the careful approach.
  11. Neesmo31 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR300, 2010 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Quick Q - with the new Wossner piston, there is 2 small recessess in the new piston that arnt there on the original item (to help flow or mixing etc) Now will jetting need to be changed to suit the new piston even though its the exact same compression/size etc - just with the new ports on the piston?