Eel River Overnighter

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Jul 28, 2010.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Eric and I went up to the Eel River this past weekend to celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary :thumbsup: Camped in Leggett Friday night, headed south to Laytonville and then east on Dos Rios to Poonkinney to Covelo (mmm...tasty MarcMuffins for breakfast!) to Mina Rd to Kettenpom to Zenia to Alderpoint...took 7 hours and that was without taking a ton of photos :) It's just as well I didn't take too many photos; I noticed the crap on the lens right away but I missed the fact that the little dial thingy had gotten moved to some bizarre setting when I wasn't looking...

What the...? Where's my sleeping bag? I sense a u-turn in my immediate future...
    [IMG]

AArrgh! :mad: I was really hot, tired and hungry, the bite valve on my Camelbak was fubar'd and I hadn't had a drink of water in 90 miles, and all I wanted to do was get to the river and jump in. I only had to backtrack 15 miles, though...
    [IMG]

Gas in Kettenpom was a nice surprise. It was a lot farther than I had anticipated, especially with the detour to retrieve my gear...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

We had to stop in the booming metropolis of Zenia...
    [IMG]

I like the lettering on the post office sign...
    [IMG]

This sign has been here for a very long time...
    [IMG]

After a steep, sandy descent and a somewhat...er... bumpy ride, we landed here for the night...
    [IMG]

Ahh, a smooth island of sand in a sea of rocks...
    [IMG]

No photos of the BBQ'd ribeye steaks we had for dinner. The insulated bladder reservoir in my new backpack really works...they were still kind of frozen at 8pm! Still had ice in the bladder, too :thumbup

We spent most of the next day swimming in the 80-degree water here...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

We goofed around all day til it got late. We saddled up the horses and headed outta Dodge...
    [IMG]

We blazed back on Alderpoint Rd (whee!) to Garberville for dinner and then south to our camp in Leggett. We had a great time and it was fun to actually experience some warm summer weather for a change :)

WoodsChick
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    There just is no such thing as too much adventure for you guys.:D
  3. Srad600 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '04 TC450 Plated
    Other Motorcycles:
    '96 XR650L SUMO, '11 KTM 990ADV
    You two are my riding heroes :notworthy:, you find the coolest places to ride.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Happy Anniversary :thumbsup:

:)
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Well, at least nobody had to go to the emergency room this time :D

Aw, shucks, Srad600 :o There is just so much neat-o stuff out there! You and I are blessed to live in such a diverse area. The only problem we seem to have is not enough time to get out and explore all of it. I love my job and I enjoy going to work every day but I hate how it cuts into my riding time:)

Thanks, Dean. It's been a fantastic ride thus far so I expect the next 18 will be more of the same :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  6. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Some nice country side you have there Woodsie. Looks great.:thumbsup:

Happy Anniversary couldn't think of a better way to spend it.

:cheers:
  7. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Happy anniversary and what a great way to celebrate it Good to see Eric back in in the saddle...... Oh yeah... How do find all of these cool places to go???
  8. jckid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Previsouly owned: SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, KLX351, CT110
    Very cool. Swimming in the river sounds fun, but I'm assuming there's eels?!! Happy Anniversary! Went riding for our anniversary too, but not on the Husky this time.