EFI cleaning additive to fuel

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by 09Husky310, Dec 8, 2011.

1. 09Husky310 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2009
    During my last ride my 09 stalled and was difficult to start when I got it started it was flat when I revved it and then it would stall again. Kept repeating and it did the same probably 5 times then it ran normal again for the rest of the ride. A mate said to try cleaning the fuel system with a fuel additive. Has anyone had a similar problem, or can anyone suggest anything else?
  2. 09Husky310 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2009
    Sorry my te310 2009
  3. little squirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

since i work at bmw (cars) i always dump a little of their FI cleaner stuff in my tank every oil change...dunno if it helps but i know we use it religiously on the cars when they come in for service...maybe it has something to do with the ethenol now in usa fuel....but since working for them 7 years now, ive only see them add this as part of the service recently, like the last 2 years..they maybe onto somthing but not sure..its only like $12 though and for my bike the bottle lasts 4-5 months
  4. 09Husky310 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2009
    Thanks for the help mate
  5. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    I've been using Lucas ethanol gas treatment for the last 6 months now because of the problems I've seen on everything from leaf blowers to cars and everything in between. The claims are it's good for up to 15% ethanol and also will stabilize and the clean the system. I was using their gas additive which keeps injectors clean and lubricated and also acts like a top cylinder lubricant, so I thought that may also help keep the fuel pump lubricated. I'm trying to avoid the mess that's in the picture of the carb I recently rebuilt for a friend.

[IMG][IMG]
  6. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    ive had great results with Techron and Startron additives.

i use Startron regularly in everything i own with a gasoline engine to fight ethanol problems. going on 2+ years.
    268fords likes this.
  7. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    That's what I gave this guy with his bike when I was done with it, a bottle of Startron and told him to put it in his gas can before he even filled them.I think he was running Sea Foam through this carb when he gave it to me to fix, it cleaned everything in the carb but the problem areas.
    typeone likes this.
  8. MontyCarlo Husqvarna
    A Class

9. Catang5oh Husqvarna
    A Class

I religiously use Stabil Marine formula fuel stabilizer, so far no problems since I began using it.
  10. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    I use yamalube fuel stabilizer and conditioner in my 5 gal can which serves everything but my cars.
  11. smokinrider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2011, TE250 2010 & 2006,
    Other Motorcycles:
    TE450 2006&2008, WR125, SM610 TE250
    Correct me if im wrong but the user and service manual state under NO circumstances use any additives to the fuel or oil!!! I guess in the States its not common practice for the end user to read their manual! Modern pump fuels need no further addatives are u using 98+ron as manual states?
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    In my area the fuels have been 'adjusted' to what seems like a low emissions - and with that formulation fuel goes bad in about 6 weeks. It will run in a car/truck just fine, but will gum up any small engines such as a motorcycle.
    RockinRod and ray_ray like this.
  13. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

I put Seafoam in all my gas powered machines once a month. Never had a fuel related problem. It's fairly inexpensive & comes highly recommended by all who use it.:cheers:
    Stabil in anything that sit's for more than 3 months at a time, with a dash of Seafoam when I do start it up.
  14. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I use VP110 race fuel in bikes, chain saws, leaf blowers and the like. I figure by the time you buy alcohol free 91 and add octane boost and fuel treatments it's still not as good a race fuel and you could have just bought good fuel. Race fuels with lead are especially good for the valves in 4ts and quality fuel will last a very long time without breaking down and costing you money and time to make repairs. The only thing you have to be careful of is if you leave race fuel in the sun it will separate the lead from the fuel.
    robertaccio likes this.
  15. MontyCarlo Husqvarna
    A Class

I don't doubt at all the benefits to the engine of running leaded fuel, but I sure wouldn't want to be riding behind you on trails :( Riding behind a derestricted bike is stinky enough without adding trace amounts of lead to your respiratory system..
  16. tnttimber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Your kidding right.
    Matthew Howard likes this.
  17. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    A little extra lead will help you keep your feet on the pegs.
    PaulC, ray_ray, bigjon and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Started up my bike for the first time since mid November yesterday. Started right up, Whats shocking is I'm still running the original battery. I was expecting it to be dead since I didn't have it on battery saver this year.:banana:

Hooray for Seafoam & Stabil :thumbsup:
  19. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    This is an old thread, I know, but 98 RON = 93 Octane. We can't get that here in California.
  20. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    500ml of Metholated Spirits is possibly the very best carb & injector cleaner, is used as the base for most of the commercial carb &/or injector cleaners, as it effects the surface tension of any water in the tank
    Use 1 litre in your car
    Every 2-3 months will be enough