EFI O2 sensor removal why?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Bart, May 31, 2012.

1. Bart Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC450, 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TM Racing EN300 and EN450
    So I see a lot of people doing the power up kit (obvious), but I can't understand why the O2 sensor gets ditched and they need to use a JD tuner, or similar.

Isn't the whole point of the O2 sensor and EFI it corrects it self, so it has top performance every time no matter what temperature, weather or altitude?

It seems to me with a JD Tuner (or similar), you're just imitating a carb and the whole point of EFI in my eyes is we don't want to mes with it to get it running right.
    Please enlighten me.

Regards, Bart
  2. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    Regarding the O2 sensor, the ECU will run a very conservative fuel map while it is installed. Once you remove it and add the resistor plug to the harness, the ECU switches to a race map instead.
  3. Bart Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC450, 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Okay but why not fit the race plug, and leave the O2 sensor?
    Maps can be altered through PC/Laptop is it not (the TC449 proto certainly could).

Regards, Bart
  4. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    The reason for tuning, beyond the stock map, with a tuner of any kind is because the "stock map": that which all the sensors attempt to achieve is not always "perfect". Think of it as "its working exactly as its told to" but what its "told to" is not perfect (in the real world/ with variences it did not count on like rider prefferances and mods that it can't or does not account for). Main thing you'll notice below is that the "O2" sensor is NOT a wide band and does not have the capabilities to adjust often assumed it does.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/jd-kit-no-pu.19589/#post-170584
  5. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    My discussion is completely about "legacy" models. The 449/511 uses a different system altogether. None was specified in the thread: Mikuni versus Keihin... However, in both the O2 is a narrow band sensor and does not do what you think it does. In Mikuni systems we can modify the maps with Ibeat- with Keihin/Husky there is no known way to adjust the stock map in that way- without a Piggyback system. Yes some japaneeze company's use Keihin and have adjusters sold by the Manufacturer- husky does not- so they use a Jd, or PCV, and appaently another is available now.
  6. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    So now Im confused, Im on a TE449 with a JD and the sensor still hooked up. I was under the impression that it was bypassed by the JD, is this not the case and its suggested I take the sensor out of the loop?
  7. Bart Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC450, 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Okay I'm understanding it a bit more.
    So wouldn't it be possible to upgrade the O2 sensor/ system so you can put different maps on it using a OBD, and don't need an JD tuner or PCV or the like. I want the bike to be bare as possible with all the electronic controls it's just to much to go wrong.

What is the main benefit to a carb (I can't see any).

Regards, Bart
  8. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    If I understand your question, you couldn't do both since the plug goes into the same harness that the O2 sensor goes in.
  9. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Don't let me confuse you, I was speaking about Mikuni systems (legacy bikes, and a few xlite models) because I didn't know the topic was about the 449/511 till ti was later mentioned (I assumed, based on my personall default) I can DELETE my POSTS if that would be Clearer:
    ..... I have not even seen a 449/511 in person at this point. I can only speak in generalities of efi in regards to the Keihin/Husky setup. Many differences exist in regards to tuning them and PowerUp processes. Look to guys like JD, Motosportz(Kelly) and Sam511 and other's who are familiar with that system.

Do you own a specific model/ and have questions about a specific model? Or are you looking to simply learn/ trasition to efi models in general?

I am with you on doubting EfI benifits versus Carbs: I liked my FCR's ALOT and was familiar and comfortable. Many of us took the leep of faith, and some regret it and some don't. Certainly there is adapation and learing process mixxed with a little luck good and bad from reports. EFI- Does adjust for conditions on the grand scale- Temps and Altitude and such... But possibly not to perfection as in totaly 100% accuracy.
    But generally, in my experience: I have ridden high and low altitudes in cold and hot temps and my bike performs the same- starts everytime- the same. Some minor adjustments to the Air Bypass Screw (like a Pilot fuel/air screw) may be necesary from time to time in different conditions. Other than that- its stable. However, changes in exhaust effect the system greatly effect the state of tune and adjustments need to be made with whatever tuning application you use. To make a change with mine- I plug into Ibeat click click tap and I just "rejetted" in less than 30 seconds (no gasoline on my floor or wrestling with carb boots). But there's problems such as Pumps, coolant temp sensors, injectors, battery dependant systems and such- but some of us have not had an issue in 3 seasons with proper preparation. Carbs need rejetting and maintenence too. So yea, there's good and bad...:thumbsup:
  10. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    There's a guy on another post that said his bike does NOT adjust for temperature, that he has to JDadjust it when temps get into the 90s. I agree with him, I do not think there is any way that the EFI systems we have on these bikes can adjust the mix based on air temperature.

I myself believe that there is no way for the bikes to adjust for altitude either.
  11. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    I'M AN entirely different guy witn another opinion based on my own understanding and experience which I remarked upon. AND I said it does adjust,
    And that's do to the MAQS, and not just because it didn't fail yet doesn't mean its not working. If you look that up you'll see that the description of that that does is what you said the EFI bikes don't do- and you own one?

I have ridden carbed bikes and with carbed bikes in HIGH/LOW/HOT/Cold and - the efi is certainly running better with the variation like that than carbed bikes- if they didn't adjust you'd be waiting for it to be 70' f with a 20% chance to rain at 1000ft in order to ride your EFI bike because That's the only time it would start and run any good because that happend to be the conditions they calibrated everything at the factory and efi cannot adjust itself. (sorry but I am just trying to help)