EFI Tuners - One size fits all?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by MattS, Feb 20, 2013.

1. MattS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 KTM 350 XCFW
    Noticed a JD EFI Tuner for sale on Ebay for a different brand of bike and got to wondering. Is the only difference between models the connector that comes with the tuner or does each model have unique internal (board-level) configurations? It seems to reason that since the units are adjustable, there shouldn't be much, if any, internal hardware differences. Any thoughts or insights? Thanks
  2. hpmainiac Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310
    I was wondering this myself. Could I install the 12 hole injector and new ecu, then take it to my local non Husky bike shop and have it tuned? The closest Husky shop from me is 280 miles.
  3. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    Compare part /model numbers on the original manufacturers website, if they differ then chances are they are different. The hardware may be superficially similar but the data on the chip may be unique for each model. You can email JD, they have pretty good customer service.
  4. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I know for sure some of the tuners have different plugs, even the husky ones have different plugs between the models.
  5. jxg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '10 TE250
    they are programmed different bewtween husky models. I bought a used one, and sent it back to JD and they reprogrammed for my particular bike.