Environmental Lawsuit aims to shut down Ocotillo Wells off-road park

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Tinken, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Environmental Lawsuit aims to shut down Ocotillo Wells off-road park

[IMG]

Pretty lame if you ask me - this is such bull :censored:

Two environmental groups filed suit in Sacramento on Tuesday seeking a court-ordered shut down of open-riding areas at Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area.
    The lawsuit alleges off-road vehicle activity at Ocotillo Wells has violated environmental protections mandated under state law.

Specifically, the suit describes widespread erosion, damage to desert soils and plant life, and non-protection of the park's 1,200 archeological and historic sites.

It seeks a court order "to immediately suspend the open-riding policy at Ocotillo Wells" and limit off-road vehicle activity to designated trails in the park.

"Off-roading is a family adventure. The off-road kids, brought up in the off-road industry, they're taught from the get go, you protect your environment," said Dennis Nottingham, president of the San Diego Off-Road Coalition.

Nottingham said off-road permit fees pay for environmental protection and enforcement at Ocotillo Wells.
    "Anybody that has an off-highway vehicle, they pay $52 every two years. That goes into a green-sticker fund, which helps support the state park," said Nottingham.

"Sure, there may be a few less plants, but it's an off-road park. That's what it was built and designed for. How many millions of acres do we have in Southern California that have got plants off over the place?" Nottingham said in his earlier interview.

Ocotillo Wells' newly-hired District Superintendent Garratt Aitchison told News 8 his rangers do take environmental laws seriously.
    "Oftentimes on these busy weekends during the fall and winter, the skeleton crew of rangers are responding to injuries and accidents," said Aitchison.

"I don't know if you have noticed, but there are a lot of new signs that have gone up. Right now, we're down four peace officer positions so that affects our ability to enforce," Aitchison said.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/22285653/whistleblower-claims-environmental-damage-at-ocotillo-wells

http://www.cbs8.com/story/22379894/...n-open-riding-at-ocotillo-wells-off-road-park
  2. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    Roost the do-gooders lawns...

Then leave a note:
    "if we can't ride there, we'll ride here. Have a do-gooder day"
    Blair7, 454x, ray_ray and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Yup. Mentioned it in another thread. The area has been open ever since I can remember. And it was designated to be for open riding. Back in the 80s, somebody raised a fuss about some plants, so they fenced off some small areas to make sure that the plants weren't run over. Later on, they fenced features of the area, such as the Gas Domes and the Pumpkin Patch to keep vehicles out. I don't want them to close the area down. I don't ride there too often, but if the place were closed, it would just put more riding pressure on the places I do frequent. Then somebody would go out there and complain about the wear and tear on those places and have them closed too. It's all about eventually stopping people from enjoying offroading altogether.:(
  4. Soviet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC 450
    It's all true. We need to write letters to the parks we visit telling them about our enjoyable experiences. How we, our friends, our kids, etc enjoy this and pay money to do so and how the riding spots are getting fewer and fewer each day. I've talked with numerous state rangers and they see 1000 complaints in thier mailbox for every 10 compliments. Some of this hate mail from people that "fly their private planes overhead and were furious to see trails littering the terrain like ants." TRUE STORY- I'm thinking about going out to the carnegie expansion meeting because it's the same deal. People in force, absolutely furious that we would even think about riding on soil we have purchased through OHV funds. They want the land we paid for, for thier own uses. I'll never quite understand it, as the land is only good for cattle grazing, which does harm to the soil! Regardless, show up, write a letter, tell people to get involved if only with a pen and paper. you seriously will make a difference. The state NEEDS to hear about people enjoying what they offer. If all they hear is bad from people like above (private plane man-are you kidding me?, places get closed. :thumbsdown:
    panhandlebars and Coffee like this.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    That pic shows how worthless that ground really is ... Those millions of acres or whatever the size is out there, only exists to hold the earth together and that is about it other than home for snakes and whatever else ...Just like AFGN except it grows lots of the worlds poppies ...

Not sure what the do-gooders are really after ... Other than riding a dirt bike or horse across it, what are these desolate places good for? Telling your friend that there is a flower out there? Or flying across and looking at ? lol ... Anyone bitching about it needs to tell what usage they want for the place and saying the flowers are there or another wash has happened is really small minds at work and is worn out && provides nothing of use to man today.
  7. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Anyone ever gone to the Poppy Reserve out on hwy 138? Its a great day ride and teaming with bountiful clusters of our state flower. In the last year they put two huge solar arrays within spitting distance. I know for a fact they dozed acres upon acres of poppy field down to erect these ”green energy” monsters. We set down in a helo one day on the way back from Frazier Mtn. in the exact spot where one of these plants now sits. We were surrounded for 1/4mi. by flowers.

Did anyone start a campaign to stop this project? Nope.

Its all about political influence and printed money my friends!!! These guys with big money donate to politicians, who in turn green light projects with little or no ” environmental” oversight. Printed federal money is funneled to these donors, who happen to be contractors or developers to build said project.

Can you say high speed rail? Stepping off the box now.
    panhandlebars and ray_ray like this.
  8. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    The same "greenies" that piss and moan about this kind of stuff have no qualms whatsoever about the billions of acres that have been bulldozed and paved over for their subdivisions and shopping malls.
  9. huskydude59 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Dont worry guys, this is evolution pure and simple... this is an actio due to a lack of resorces. We havethe same issue here in OZ. I have spoken to a few DSE guys and they say that thet just dont have the people to patrol such a large area, so they start shutting it off. Go goes around comes around... I have been riding for 40 years and have never lost places to ride... and for the best of it will never stop finding new places to go..
  10. NewHuskyGuy Husqvarna
    A Class

This is the same old story we see over and over again. The classic " we need to protect us from ourselves" we hear from those all mighty elites that are smarter than everybody else. These activists are always looking for a way to stop some one else's means of recreation and enjoyment. Ocotillo Wells is otherwise a barren wasteland if not for the offroading that takes place there. Lets not forget that this park is designated for this type of recreation. Their argument is always the same. Soil erosion, plant degradation, habitat destruction etc etc. As long as they get consensus from their pier reviews they don't really need to prove anything they claim. No one seems to bat an eye when thousands of acres of solar fields are going up all over the place!! You know, the ones that only contribute miniscule amounts of energy to the grid. They span from 138 to Mojave to Desert Center and Blythe to Yuma and out to Vegas. Those areas were "GRADED" with equipment completely taking everything off the soil. The irony is unbelievable! How about this.... This is an attack on Freedom. Here goes the lunatic fringe in me but that scientist in the cbs8 news article needs to mind his "Federally employed" butt and worry about his million acre park that is barren also. He doesn't think there should be an 18th trail on a hill climb. SO WHAT!! Who the heck is he? What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?? All they have to do is file suit alleging "anything" and we are sent scrambling to prove otherwise. The burden of proof is supposed to be on them and boy how the tables have turned in this country. I am ashamed that most everything we once could do has been cut off by the nanny state. I could go on and on all night. Sorry for the rant everybody! Everybody forgets that "WE the People" are in charge but we are constantly having more and more of our freedoms taken away while they give us a sucker and tell us it is for our own good.
    panhandlebars, Dirtdame and ray_ray like this.
  11. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    AMEN BROTHER I still fly my flag every day, but its sure ain't because I like what the government is up to.
  12. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's why my flag is upside down.
    panhandlebars likes this.
  13. panhandlebars Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm200sold!klx125&drz 70 kids
    Funny how fascist greenies want such control of a chunk of dirt in the desert, select what citizens can use it citing law...meanwhile anybody and everybody can cross the border with no reprocusion , where is the control on that chunk of dirt? It's lawless. Greenies and their lobbyist will buy what laws they want go home and park their Prius in the 5 car heated garage and blog about how they saved the Star Thistle form mass exctinction.

Of course I am not surprised with a country that spies on its citizens,it's media reporters,judges and fellow politicians, while terrorists slip across the border,it's ok to lose your gun rights while we arm radical muslim Syrian terrorists, it's ok to use the IRS to bully conservative political action groups,it's ok to let them fend for themselves in Benghazi and lie about it it's ok to bury fast and furious and let the ATF just cover it up while Holder evades any accountability .....I could go on but realize this isn't why you get on cafe husky...sorry this stuff just pisses me off...

So I guess it's ok to ride wherever you want.

I suggest the affected users unite now and get some backing for the motosports industry..make them greenies pry that husky from your cold dead fingers.
    Jersey Woods and Kevin_TE250 like this.
  14. hedz0r Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 KLX351, 2008 ZX-6R
    Stop building shopping malls, it is removing natural plant life.
    Stop buying Priuses, they are contaminating soil where their batteries lay to rest.