Failing pump, clogged filter, blocked injectors, or what?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Arctra, May 8, 2013.

?

Do you think my bike momentarily stalling then running fine again is because of:

Dirt fuel/water in fuel 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Clogged up fuel filter 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Faulty fuel pump 2 vote(s) 25.0%
Clogging up injector 1 vote(s) 12.5%
Something else (e.g. faulty throttle position sensor) 5 vote(s) 62.5%
  1. Arctra Husqvarna
    AA Class

So today I went for a ride on my 2010 TE450 (EFI) and had an odd intermittent problem. A few times it seemed like the the engine wasn't getting fuel for a second or two - the engine just seemed to die then fire up again. On one occasion it backfired. Oh, and it seemed to happen when the throttle was relatively static (ie, I was holding a steady speed rather than accelerating or decelerating) around 33% open.

My first thought was dirty fuel or water in the fuel, but I had filled the tank from near empty in the morning with fuel from the pump - not some dirty container or anything. Also, if it was dirt/water I would have expected the problem to persist but it only happened for about an hour or so. I'll flush the tank, but I honestly don't think it'll solve the problem.

My second thought is that the filter (attached the the fuel pump) is clogged up and needs to be cleaned/replaced. But again, I wouldn't have expected the problem to be so intermittent if that was the case. And when I twisted the throttle to give the girl some juice the bike took off like a scalded cat - which it would not have done with a clogged filter as not enough fuel would have been delivered.

So my third thought was that it was a little bit of a dodgy or dirty injector. Again, why was it so intermittent then sort itself out?

Finally I wondered whether the fuel pump was on it's way out. I would have thought the pump would just fail and the bike would die rather than intermittently work, but I'm not sure how others pumps failed. Could this be the explanation?

I have ordered a new pump anyway as I wanted a spare "in case", so if it is a pump issue I can solve it quickly. But I don't want to replace the pump unnecessarily. Any suggestions or opinions from you guys would be welcome.
  2. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Could honestly be a host of issues including the ones you identified.
    You'd have to go over it and eliminate possibilities. You are going to get a lot of responses based on other persons past problems.
    That said, this sounds familiar to me:D ... it sounds like your bike's problem can be reproduced over and over at a certain throttle range 33%- so its not intermittent.
    My bike started acting like it was hitting a early false revlimiter- then powering through. Sometimes it would stall, like on an uphill. Mine turned out to be loose coil ground bolts. Once I cleaned that up and reassembled- it ran normal again. http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/spark-plugs-caps-and-coil-connectins.12265/#post-116580
    good luck!- I figured the first kick at the can should be one that doesn't cost money:thumbsup:
    Xcuvator and TE in RC like this.
  3. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    To follow that good advice, check the wiring under the tank, especially the Green with red stripe wire, it connects the fuel pump, the fuel injector and the coil all together, if it has a loose connection or a bare spot, you will get that intermittent problem.
  4. Arctra Husqvarna
    AA Class

OK, so there have been some developments. I went to take the bike for a short ride to warm the oil up before servicing it and had big problems. The bike started OK and I set off only to have the engine die after about 100m. I managed to fire it up straight away again and tried going a bit further.

Not even 50m further and it died again, but this time when I hit the starter button there was nothing. After a few seconds I heard the pump fire up again (the same sound when you first turn the key on) and then could start it with the button.

I tried to carry on but the engine just kept stalling. Sometimes I could start with the button, sometimes it didn't work till I had heard the pump pumping again.

So now I am wondering if it's an electrical/wiring problem. I will try going over the wiring to see if there's any exposed wiring (as suggested - thank you) and if there isn't, then I will replace the pump with the new one when it arrives. If I still have a problem then I may have to resort to taking it to a dealer to see if they can fix it.

Still, if there are any other suggestions I am all ears.
  5. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Check the battery terminals for looseness from the battery to the main fuse- nothing happening (starter/pump/etc?) indicates no power versus 1 thing being wrong (fuel pump). But this can also occur with shorts, open circuits, and with the coil ground being bad (open/intermittent open). Eliminate possibilities 1 by 1 before spending money on parts, if you can't diagnose it, better to pay someone to replace the right part once than guess work and replace many. We can only guess based on the info you provide and the things you check. Keep at it:thumbsup:
  6. Arctra Husqvarna
    AA Class

So today I got to test my bike properly. I have installed one of the replacement pumps off Felco on eBay thinking the problem was the pump. I went to fire the bike up this morning and she just would not start. After a LOT of stuffing around we discovered there was no spark from the spark plug. After putting another plug in (not a new one, just a clean and working one) the bike finally fired.

But I still struggled a bit with what I would have described from intermittent fuel starvation problems. It might be a case of spark/ignition problems. We also noted a fairly strong smell of fuel like the bike had flooded, so I am also wondering whether the air/fuel mapping needs to be re-adjusted (possibly the TPS too?). Will call the dealer this week and see what they think.
  7. Stirlo Husqvarna
    A Class

I've had exactly the same problem with mine. They changed the loom when it first happened and was problem free for a while and now the same thing has come back. They stuffed me around for 2 weeks and didn't really do any thing. Took it for a fairly sedate ride and didn't have a problem. The other weekend i got it out of the shed and it started ok, ran it for a bit with the choke on to warm up. Pushed the choke in and gave it a small amount of throttle , it backfired and stopped. Cranks but won't start. Took the plug out and tested it, had plenty of spark, changed it for a new one but still had nothing..... Another week in the shop and I get the impression that they don't know what they are looking at. Surley Husqvarna has some kind of tech support they can call upon. It seems to me these sort of problems are not un common! Let me know how you go...
  8. gergte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 2st, TC 250 2st,TE 250R 4st
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA CRF 150R, CRF 110,Z50,APRILLIA
    check the fuel pump fuse the fuse holders on the huskies are not great they let dirt and moisture in - it wont be blown just loosing contact - pull all the fuses out and clean them and the holder with contact cleaner include this in your preventative maintenance routine.
    This was an issue with my te310.
    Stirlo likes this.
  9. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    1. Dirt fuel/water in fuel - have blamed this before and has never really been the culprit
    2. Clogged up fuel filter - have blamed this before and has never really been the culprit
    3. Faulty fuel pump - replaced my OEM, been 2.5 years on the replacement
    4. Clogging up injector - have blamed this before and has never really been the culprit
    5. Something else - wires rubbed bare have been a problem on my bike
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I've seen this before and the fix was a water temp sensor.
  11. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The fuel pump on my 2010 would fail when the bike got hot....as in riding an enduro section.

Replaced the pump and it has been good thus far.
  12. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    +1 . Just from these forums it seems the 450s had the main share of this.
  13. Townzer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE510
    If it is the water temp sensor, is there a way to test it before replacing it?
  14. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

very similar issue with my TE630 and had tried to resolve it using most of the recommendations mentioned above including swaping electrical and fuel components with another 630.

I found that the MAQS electrical connector had water in it and was shorting out. Dried it VERY thoroughly with a hair dryer and put dialectic grease on the connector pins and solved the problem.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/low-manifold-pressure.24462/#post-317835
  15. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    sensor is a 10 dollar item
  16. Aussie Sprt TXC Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 TXC250
    G'Day mate, im from Victoria running an '09 TXC 250. I have intermittent probs with the engine completely shutting down during operation. It's getting worse. Husky dealer has no idea all be it they made 9 attempts on a fix. tried everything from fuel to electrics. I find the fuse/moisture issue very interesting. would it be possible for a bit more info on where to find them. Importantly...did it fix the problem for you..? Thanks heaps, Mick.
  17. gergte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 2st, TC 250 2st,TE 250R 4st
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA CRF 150R, CRF 110,Z50,APRILLIA
    Hi the fuse is behind the right side plate there is three the fuel pump is is at the rear remove it clean with contact cleaner and put it back with dielectric grease wrap it up in glad wrap - the rear wheel pumps dirt and water into those fuse holders possibly causing intermittent issues during wet muddy conditions - may as well do all three - i have no issues - the fuse holders are an open cage style not a great design possibly causing intermittent fuel pump operation as well as other issues - put it on your preventative maintenance list.
    Worth a try mate.
    duggoey likes this.
  18. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I took a quart zip lock baggie, cut a hole in the bottom, inserted the 3 fuses and blocked off tip-over sensor into the bag, taped the hole up where the wires entered and now I have dry fuses and still a quick way to get in and change a fuse if needed.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  19. Kreza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 KX80 2013 TM85
    I would bet electrical gremlins, go through every connection. Clean and put some dielectric grease on everything, all while checking for worn wiring insulation.