1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Fellow racers, opinions on WR300 large fuel tank for hare scrambles

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by K5PL5, Oct 26, 2013.

1. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    So the race season is almost over and I feel like Im at a crossroad with my WR. I have a large IMS tank on the bike and Im contemplating going back to a stock one next year.
    My concern is will the bike last 2 hours without refueling? Anybody have experience with this and a stock tank? What are they 2 gallons?
  2. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I race the same series as you on a stock tank, but I don't know for sure how much my experience will translate.

I race the morning event, so it's only 90 minutes instead of 120. I am also slower than you, so I am probably going through less gas.

That being said, I can race the morning on my stock tank and I have never hit reserve.

I am racing tomorrow, I will try to remember to see how much I have left after 90 minutes.

I usually go about 60 miles until I hit reserve on normal trail riding. "Normal trail riding" for me and the guys I ride with is usually getting pretty saucy with it, but probably not quite as much as racing.
  3. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok cool. Have fun tomorrow. I cannot make it.
  4. uranys Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00 wr360/02 wr360/09 wr125/09 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 xr600r
    I had the ims tank on my 250 and ditched for the stocker it at the beginning of the season when I switched to the lectron. I hit reserve once when it was really muddy and I stopped for fuel during another mud round (more because I was tired) but the other 8 races I rode without re-fueling. I usually ended up doing around 50 miles.

HTH
  5. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the intel. I think Id be good to go on the standard tank but will plan on a refill for midrace. Good excuse for a goggle change and a "you rock" from the Girlfriend lol.
  6. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I don't think you'll have a problem with a 2 hour race, unless it's really fast and you are on the main jet a lot. It's right at 2.5 gallon and I've been to 2:25 on it without running out of fuel. I don't have a reserve on it since I have a CR petcock, so I can't tell you about that part.
  7. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeh i did an AMA national this year and didnt stop. Just put the tap on reserve at the start of the race. 3 hours on that big tank and still had fuel.
    Is the CR tank smaller?
  8. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    When did Husky last make a CR bigger than the 125/144?
  9. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    I think 2005 was the last year for the 250.
  10. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I have a WR tank with a CR petcock. The CR petcock has no reserve setting, it's just "ON", so it will use all the fuel in the tank.
  11. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    You can eliminate the the reserve function easily on a WR tank. If you pull out the petcock you will see that there is a tube which sticks up midway into the tank. When the petcock is in the normal position it will run out of gas when the fuel level drops below the height of the tube, then you need to switch to the reserve setting. You can just pull this tube out of the petcock and you will have access to the full tank of gas in the normal position.
  12. gary alger Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz250
    Unless you are an expert or really really fast A rider you can go 2:20 - 2:30 on stock tank. I am a vet A rider and have ventured into the 220 time zone twice with stock tank and rejetted stock carb...
    K5PL5 likes this.
  13. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Is there any reason you couldn't just run the WR petcock on reserve, instead of going through the trouble of modifying it?
    shawbagga likes this.
  14. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yes, you can. But, I'm a sick-o. :banana:
    454x likes this.
  15. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250

That would give you the same result. I don't know about other bikes, but the petcock on mine is very stiff and I find it easier to remove the reserve function so I don't have to twist it all the way to that position.
  16. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I race B Vet so no, Im not an animal haha.
    Just waitin for someone to ping on this site for a swap for stock tank.. :)
  17. Hoov165x Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The Latest: 2014 FE250

I posted on your other thread. I have a stock 06 WR250 tank- grey, if you want to swap.
  18. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    I run a stock tank on my 300 (and with the 360 engine in there) and depending on the race conditions 2 hours is usually absolutely doable. If it's a high speed always on the main event, then yeah, you suck gas quicker. If it's a technical or slimey event, where you aren't running the piss out of it, then you should be golden for quite a while longer than 2 hours.

It's actually surprising, I would all but suck the big IMS on my KTM 200 dry by the end of a 2 hour harescramble, but the 300 (and 360) you really just don't need to run it near as hard (and on the 360 I just CAN'T run it hard). That being said, if I'm worried about it, I'll still plan to pit around the 1:20 mark and drop in no more than a gallon. Figuring 40 seconds pitting for myself is quicker than pushing the bike in the last half mile. Nothing's worse than unneeded doubt nagging you in a race.
  19. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    You need a set up like ajaxauto and I have, with the Dry Brake adaptor on the stock tank.
    K5PL5 likes this.
  20. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cool. Got pics?