1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Fighting with a BRP Chain Guide…so I thought. Help!

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by pahusky, Jul 1, 2010.

1. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    '09 WR125…I do believe the chain guide is as advertised and a correct fit.:thumbsup:

However, after what I thought was going to be a ''quick bolt on'' turned into a ''what the heck'' moment I have come to a disturbing conclusion...

The bracket that has the tabs for the chain guide; that is welded to the swingarm; appears to not be installed at the centerline of the sprocket. :confused:

After installing the new BRP guide, the chain would not even go on the sprocket because it was hitting the inside sidewall of the new guide.

I checked the rear wheel alignment, eyeballed this from every angle, had another beer, used a straightedge on the sprocket to check measurements to the tabs and have come to the conclusion that it was not right from the factory. The tabs are not bent; all my observations are based on center line at the swingarm not the bottom of the tabs.

I know there are issues with the stock chain guide being tight. It did not take a close observation
    to see the stock guide had a huge groove worn on the inside plastic.

The mounting bracket seems to be offset to the outside a weak 1/4''.

What am I missing??:thinking:

Anybody with a similar issue? And any solution?
  2. MURPHMONSTER Husqvarna
    C Class

I have the same bike and mine bolted right up. New sprockets,chain and BRP chain guide all installed with no problem. :thumbsup: Now the TM DESIGNS chain guide i took off was acting like your BRP and is why i changed it. Very odd!:confused:
  3. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

The TM Designworks guide fit my '09 WR125 perfectly and I had no issues with the stock guide. The axle wheel spacers are the same on both sides so that can't be an issue. If you want I could take some measurements of the tabs on swing arm of my bike this weekend and you could see it it is the same on your bike.
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    The one I have on my '08 TE seems to line up, but I was getting uneven sprocket wear with the one on my WR250, same reasons as above, so I took it off. Lines up fine with the stock guide.
  5. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Appreciate the insight…and offerings of help.:notworthy:

The next step, under advice from my dealer…

With the chain off and the BRP guide bolted on,
    adjust the rear wheel until the sprocket is centered
    in the guide and measure the swingarm bolt to axle
    centers on both sides and compare…

Usually I do this with a new bike anyway to see
    if I can trust the punch slots for adjustment accuracy.

The late night eyeballing (is that a word?) could have easily been off.

They actually make a tool for this…I think he's going to let me borrow
    it to do the check. I'll report after the next garage episode…Stand by
    for the chance to see how much of an idiot I've been.:popcorn:

Thanks,
  6. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Garage report update…Act II

Armed with the latest technology, a clear outlook and a cold beer I was ready to reassess the issue…:thinking:

The tool was a straight bar with adjustable centering pins; one for the swingarm and one for the axle. With the chain off I set the axle to the same adjustment marks and measured; marks are spot on. So, supposedly the swing arm bolt and axle bolt are parallel and the marks are useable. Meaning the sprockets should line up.

Camstyn, good call! I did this with the chain off. I was able to use the straight bar of the tool and set it on the backside of the rear sprocket; it lined up on the backside of the countershaft sprocket. So, supposedly the sprockets are in the same plane.
    Meaning that the chain guide should now be centered on the sprocket… Not!

There is an offset.

Next, I adjusted the axle until the sprocket was somewhat centered in the guide tabs (actually could not get the axle to physically offset enough to get the sprocket pointing at the center). The swingarm to axle measurements were off, the rim was 1/4'' closer to the swingarm on one side and the straightedge test had it crossing completely over the countershaft sprocket to the outside edge…

Conclusion remains the same…I think the chain guide mounting piece is welded in the wrong place.

Shop wants to see it,:cool: taking it in today…

And eyeballing really is a word! Encarta says ''transitive verb''

Intermission, Act III upcoming…:popcorn:
  7. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Mine is the same. I went through pretty much the same drill and could not get the guide to line up in the center of the rear sprocket. This was causing the rear sprocket to wear uneven.

I replaced the chain and sprockets and checked everything again and the stock chain guide will run the chain true to center line. :thumbsup:

But, the BRP causes it to run slight offset. :thumbsdown:

First time I ever took over 4 hours to do a chain and sprocket swap. :banghead:
  8. mr3 Husqvarna
    B Class

Hello all, bringing an old thred to daylight

I have a similar problem with my stock offroad chain guide from Husqvarna. I have tighten the chain according to the manual and instructions given by my local husky dealer. On my original stock guide the chain "cut" straight through the right wall (standing behind the bike) this resulted in an excessive wear on my sprocket so i changed it with a new one, and fitted the offroad chain guide for more tight and better leading of chain. The problem continues and my chain is after 3 days of riding road halfway thru the metal, the inner rubber/plastic is history.

The only thing i can understand is that the chain guide is not aligned with the chain and the connection on the swing arm has to be out of line !? Ive done everything according to original manual. Anyone has a slight idea of what might be causing this extreme wear of chain guide?

I am taking the bike to the dealer today to get the mechanics point of view on this. All answers is welcome and much appreciated.

:excuseme:

Thank you in advance

mr3
  9. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry about not updating with Act III…

Yes, the tab piece is welded off center to the sprocket. Actually seems like this is common, and acceptable.

I ''Adjusted'' the tabs. Large pair of channel locks did the job. It's scary just how easy the pieces moved.

But it really did not have to go far at the swingarm to make the bottom of the guide line up with the sprocket. It has a slight lean to it, but at least it's leaning in.

All should be ok…:cool:

The boy went out yesterday and thoroughly put the bike to the test, 3 hours non-stop. He's really lucky; we do race GNCC and have made some great local contacts.

Ended up spending the time with an XC1 rider and 3 'A' riders, some at the top of their classes in GNCC. The better part is they wanted to ride the WR. They did like the way the bike rips on top and handles, and after some input from them I need to work on the mid-range, sounds like ''The'' spring kit from Wally will be next.

Last year one of the riders dad set up an advanced youth school at his house. Ended up being 6 riders, one my son, with Jason Raines. Two days of workout and riding, opened some eyes...
  10. mr3 Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for Act III paktm :)

I went sherlock on it and its actually the connection points (wich is welded onto the swing arm) that is not paralell with the chain itself, check with a ruler or something else straight. I can only understand this as a production error from the Husky factory itself. Taking my bike to the dealer today and i am going to try to use the warranty to provide me with a new swing arm :) And i am gonna get a black one ^^ :thumbsup:

Ill keep this thread updated as soon as i get some feedback from my local dealer. My bike is a 2009 510 SMR.

Starting to love this forum :) Now you guys have a great day, twist that handle!

mr3
  11. mr3 Husqvarna
    B Class

I just returned from local dealer, they agreed with me and fixed the problem by knocking the connection points at the swing arm into center position. I am gonna ride with this for the coming days checking wear frequently. Will update here if anything abnormal happens.

Best regards, mr3