finally got out with my wxc 250

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by aya16, Jan 3, 2011.

1. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

Jan2 2011 I did it, rode my new to me 96 husky. Some impressions I have of the bike.
    [IMG]

Its torqy, she pulls from idle to half throttle with a big grunt, My kx 250 explodes in those ranges, at half throttle the husky explodes. I like that, trail ridding, desert or mountains, the bike is very predictable.

She really looks good too, Glad I had an old pair of blue riding pants
    wouldnt want to ride in KW green:)
    [IMG]

Some one wrote here, that the wxc250 has to be ridden like a 125 to stay on the pipe and I agree if you are riding a track but the big torque
    that the bike has gives you lots of options riding mountain twisty fire roads where you dont know whats around the corner. Come into the corner, lug it down to a safe speed, make your turn and if its clear, stay in third gear and twist the throttle, she grunts up to speed just fine.

Get out into a loose dirt corner where you know whats on the other side, and you can drop a gear, twist the throttle and blow a berm apart.

The suspension, was fantastic, other than set the sag, I havent touched it yet. The conventional forks work great, they dont wash out the front end, and over whoops, stand up and plow through with little effort from the rider, very stable.

All in all, I never thought there would be much diff. between my kx's and the husky, I was wrong. The husky is a real joy to ride and is really predictable, you can ride it like a four stroke, or ring it out like a two stroke, and it does a great job either way.

I have always trail rode, never raced, but the best trail bikes to me were the MX bikes (kawasaki mostly) explosive, quick handling of the 250 and up two strokes made for really great handling and riding desert trails, with lots of throttle and gear control, you cant beat an mx two stroke for a trail bike (in my opinion). But the low end grunt was always a bit lacking except my kx500, till now. The husky is extremely good at this, yet if I want that explosive hit, all I have to do is drop a gear while riding the husky.

My mount for the last few years, do I like the husky better? No its just diff. I love all my bikes, but the husky filled a place that was lacking in my rides. If I could only have one bike would it be the husky? Thats not fair, I wouldnt own just one bike. I wouldnt go play golf with just one club...:busted:
    [IMG]

I can see why you people that have been riding husky's for a long time love your bikes

Yep it started to snow on us, just added to a good day
    [IMG]

My wife Karen, she's put up with me and my hobbies for 30 years
    She knows how to prep before an outing, chek out the designer Elmer fudd hat.
    [IMG]

Mike
    bigjon likes this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You nailed in on the motor. Nice and smooth and predictable on the bottom, great for technical riding and RIPS on top. Best of both worlds. Those husky 250 motors of any year water cooled are real hard to beat. I had a YZ250 and while it had a great motor it was much to explosive on the bottom even with the FWW and was a handful in the slick or loose stuff. The husky is awesome in this stuff and still as fast on top.
  3. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

Yeah it was pretty good, most of the guys that I know who feel the same about the two stroke being a great trail bike, try and copy the way the husky's power comes on, in their bikes, they use flywheel weights and raise the gearing, things like that.

Out of the box this husky does the job. Its going to be real interesting riding with my nephew in the desert up against his kx250. Not racing but just the handling and motor
    dept. As far as top end, which we rarely do, I think the husky can hold its own, I did have some small sections I could open the husky up yesterday, and it felt very much like the kx at that time, all with an extra gear toooooo.

I do have an fmf pipe I bought from ebay last week (cheap never used) It will be interesting to swap out the dyno port pipe I have on it now, just to see what we have here. The bike also came installed with an fmf turbine core muffler. So it should change a little bit of the hit, (from what I read) But Im real happy with the way it runs as is.
    Mike
  4. KnuckleBucket Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1996 WXC 250
    Mine was a blast to ride in stock form.
    I finally found an fmf pipe on eBay (we're you in a bidding war for the pipe you purchased on eBay? If so, that was me)
    Took me a couple years to find a pipe but it really wakes this motor up. The midrange pull is absolutely incredible. I need to fatten up the main as it is a bit lean but the difference is noticeable.
    Another benefit of losing the stock pipe is weight. The stock pipe and silencer on this bike are really heavy.
    The pipe I did find was in pretty bad shape. Many dents, some really deep. I sealed the pipe, put 25-30 psi to it and hit the dents with an acetylene torch. Takes a bit of time per dent but they all come out.
  5. bigjon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1996 WXC410 2000 TE410 2008 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FJR 1300 Polaris 500
    A 250, wow that is so cool. I have the 96 WXC 410 and it is my 1st Husky I have ever owned. I enjoyed it way too much. mever ever lacked on the ggrunt and I could climb the toughest hills and still go out on the fire roads @ 80 mph.