First big snow ride of the year...

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Motosportz, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    We rode in deep snow at Diamond Mill yesterday...

That was fun / crazy. Not sure how many miles we did but it was not a ton and mostly in 3"-1.5 feet of snow. Amazingly the traction was still good. Lost the trail int he deep snow and had to pull 2 bikes out of a steep hillside. Good fun.

On the way up there...

[IMG]

Looked like it was going to be clear and nice for the day until we got the bikes unloaded and...

[IMG]

Brought the Snow machine, with new rear tire and grip heaters.

[IMG]

Was not bad at the bottom, and hit some fun trails...

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then we headed up traill 66 (Plastic) and it went up and up and up into the deeper and deeper snow...

[IMG]

It's starting to get fun...

[IMG]

So we thought we would hit the steeper trails, seems reasonable :smirk:

[IMG]

I figured we were done about here...

[IMG]

but no...

Red says "bring it"

[IMG]

Me asking if we are having fun yet...

[IMG]

So I manage to pass everyone on the hill and start busting trail until I can't see trail any more. Now we start the hike and verify trail method...

[IMG]

Axle deep and still thumbs up. We have come down stuff were not sure we can go back up.

[IMG]

Does not look it in the pic but this is a steep down hill we are not going to be able to come back up EZ so were kinda committed at this point...

[IMG]

[IMG]

We check Reds GPS and realize we are 400 feet from the road but in white out conditions we can't see the trail so Red hikes down to the road to verify while we yard to bikes up the hill that have gone the wrong way down a steep section.

This guys says we are at Code Red :smirk:

[IMG]

There are no more pix from this point on as we needed to rob my camera batteries for the GPS to find a way home. We slip and slide around and manage to get back to the truck about 3:30 and still snowing pretty hard.

Fun day, thanks dudes. :thumbsup:
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I don't know how you get the front wheel to roll in anything over a foot deep. Last time I tried to ride in snow that deep, my powdersugered donut front wheel would simply stop rolling. (snow might have been a bit more packed than what you were riding in.) Glad you had a safe outcome for your adventure.:D
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Elephant Ears Rock I always have mine in my pit box RFI (ready for installation).
    Looks like a blast!!
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I just got the new Moose ones, work GREAT. Those and grip heaters maks all the difference in the world. Now i need some heated fog proof goggles.
  5. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

studded tires? looks like no
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nope brand new 120 MOTOZ Terrapactor and WOW. I wheelied up a big hill in second past the dude on the KTM. Traction was amazing. The snow was just right though, not slushy not fluffy, perfect snow ball density and made for some amazing traction. There were several places i was sure we were done but had to fan the clutch to keep the front end down.

Need to mount up the grip heaters and Terrapactors to the WR400, the big bottom would have been FUN.
  7. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    ride once with heated grips, never do it again w/o. absolute best thing ever.

dual pane lenses work great. they fog for a quick sec then clear right up, mo bettuh with no-fog stuff on. is there such a thing as heated gogles? that would rock w/ a fan.

looked like a good day to die. adventure rides rock.
  8. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    that pic of Red with the snowlfakes lit up is uber-epic...like a KTM xmas card or something. WOW.
  9. CARL REHATCHEK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Habervision makes a very trick no fog unit that has a fan in top and works when moisture is present.. turns on automaticly or you could leave on.. great for winter riding and all snow sports.

Chow, Carl
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thanks for the info, looks like they have an add on unit too.

http://www.habervision.com/product/HaberEliminator.aspx
  11. CARL REHATCHEK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Yes,

I forgot to mention that.. It is a 10 minute fit to Smith and Scott goggles too. No vision loss and very, very, quite and the smart little fan makes you wonder fit they are turned on.. They a puff of moisture and on and off she goes..

Chow, Carl

The company is no dummy to the eyewear goggle scene..
  12. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    out product testing in the snow? lol
  13. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Good fun! You guys get the "Hardcore" medal!:cheers:
  14. spinkta boy Husqvarna
    A Class

Must be pretty crazy out there!?! My Seattle office is closed today and tommorow.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Does not take much to mess stuff up here as there are a lot of bridges and hills and once the snow / ice hit is is a mess to travel in. Seattle is a mess right now as it is a lot is steep streets with ice on them.

dude on TT from Seattle reports...

Let's see, awoke this morning to 17F degrees and 3 inches of fresh powder. It is now a quarter to 2 in the pm and it is 15F degrees and snowing with over 10 inches on the ground and more coming.

Tonight's forecast low is -2F. Should be down right chilly out tomorrow. At least I don't have to deal with idiot drivers or mass "transit".
  16. cbienusa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01 CR250,17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 YZ250
    Hey Kelly they make these things called snowmobiles for that kind of riding. Just getting ready to dust mine off. As soon as the hunters are out of the woods I'm there.
  17. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Heck that looks like a real blast. I guess you guys are close to putting your bikes away for a while. It funny we don't ride as much this time of year either-its too ruddy hot
  18. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

True True...but I am a Trelly guy and prefer that over a sled. I don't worry about the hunters mostly as I ride on my land that they should not be on.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Put them away? NEVER. This is the fun season :D Learn mad balancing skills and it's a freaking workout. I have 4-5 sets of gear for this time of year to keep them clean / dry. I love mud riding and a good snow ride once in a while.
  20. roostafish Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 KTM 350 XCF
    Ditto, winter is when most of my miles are added up. We don't get all that much snow, and this stuff will go away within a couple of weeks and we'll be back to riding in the rain and mud.

Snow riding here is a novelty, and most of us love to get out in the snow when it first hits. If it sticks around, I usually stud up a set of inexpensive knobbies. They work great for our kind of snow.