1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc First Husky for the young lad

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by happy539, Mar 27, 2011.

1. happy539 Husqvarna

I have purchased my young lad a 2010 CR125 Husky. We race motocross throughout Canada and much of the US.

I was wondering what aftermarket parts I should be looking into. I read a ton of the jetting specs and will get it close.

I was also wondering if there are any areas on the bike that I should be addressing as the race season approaches. He is just 13 years of age but is quite aggressive on the bike.

We will be leaving his practice Husky a 125 and making the race bike a 144.

Any input would be great... Also, I have learned a ton by reading on the site and thank all of you that have offered input and the owners of the site for keeping the knowledge accessible.

Cheers
    Happy539
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Congrats on getting the Huskys! My own experence with my 08 CR125 and now my 144 set up tells me he will be practicing and racing two different bikes. I'm 52 and play at MX so I can't offer any big tips and I haven't had one single issue (knock on wood) with my CR that needed addressing other than getting my suspension re-valved. I wish the best for you and your young racer; good luck.
  3. smoke229 Husqvarna
    A Class

Put an FMF pipe on it first thing, throw the stock pipe into a brush pile and leave it there. We are running 12/49 gearing on our 2010. Running ported 125 cylinder on pump gas for now. Bike is still work in progress but ran 4 motos and got 4 moto wins sunday so we are getting closer. The Husky seems to be a very solid bike, im very impressed with it, just stock it needs a few more horses under the hood for serious motocross work.
  4. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'm with John01. The 125 and 144 are two completely different animals. I had an '09 CR 125 that screamed, but I didn't realize what the 144 kit could do until buying an '11 CR 150. The 150 (144) is not just a 125 on steroids, it's a whole different level on the track IMHO. Practicing on the 125 and racing the 144 may not be the way to go. Either way, congrats on the new bike and best of luck!
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yep I have the FMF Fatty and PC2 and did notice a gain when the bike wasin the 125 trim, good tip smoke.
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Krieg is either tied up, working, sleep, or doing somthing else so I'll answer......NO!!! I had mine in 125 trim for 2 years and it was a lot of fun but the 144 greatly improves upon the FUN factor. I have more power/tq every where which makes riding the bike that much sweeter IMHO.
  7. smoke229 Husqvarna
    A Class

Camstyn,
    We will be running the 144 off and on this season, running it for the first time this coming sunday race. The motocross classes we run here are straight 125cc's for the 125 and schoolboy class, that would be the only reason we would keep our bike a 125. At some of the bigger races we will run 250B,OpenB, and schoolboy2 classes which we can run the 144. 99% of the people out there would never know if we just kept the 144 on the bike all the time but im trying to play by the rules - dont know if i can resist forever though LOL....
    Hey Happy, since your coming to the US you wouldnt happen to be in IL for the ll qualifier this weekend?
  8. poynedexter Husqvarna
    B Class

i would say set your powervalve linkage, fit a 52 rear sprocket, fit an rm needle. if you have the kyb fork, get the oil changed and get the sag adjusted for him. then ride away at her!!!
  9. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Sorry, I just got back from the beach. Musta missed this. John01 pretty much nailed the way I feel about the 150. It's the fun of the 125 only better... everywhere. Well... except gas mileage.