1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc First ride on my 150

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by NWRider, Jul 19, 2010.

1. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

[IMG]

I got to take my new 09 WR150 out this weekend and thought I would post my impressions. I had a 06 WR125 before this.

First of all I would like to say thank you to all the early adaptors who worked out the bugs. I was in a recliner with both feet in cast when the new 09 came out. I read about all the bog problems. Then came the updated power valves. Then I read as people tried to make the stock carb work. Then people discovered the power valve adjustment. Then just recently the factory 144 came out. With all this information I knew exactly what to buy and do. The only long standing issue left now is the fuel tank. I really hope that will be solved soon.

The purchase began with my excellent local dealer, Bills Motorcycle Plus. As always the price of the bike was amazing and I received a very fair trade for my used Husky. The bike was prepped properly and ready to go.

Mine came with the factory 144, a FMF fatty, and FMF turbine core installed. I got all the spare parts also.

Prep was simple. I bought a 38mm JD jetted carb from Motosportz. I see the air boot is touching the top of the shock but there is not much movement here so I think it will be OK. It also touched, just differently, with the stock carb.

I also picked up some radiator guards from Motosportz. They look real nice installed. I hardly ever crash but my rads still got beat up on my old bike from all the brush.

Additionally I installed my faverate bars, flipped the bar clamps forward, and put some cycra hand guards on. I tried to put my Fastway footpegs on but they really don’t work with this frame.

After a couple heat cycles I started to see what the motor could do. It ran very well as I had it but it felt just a bit rich below ¼ throttle. I went from the JD Blue needle in #4 to the red on at #4. Jetting for now is 45, JD Red #4, 180 main. The throttle response is crisp and there is only the slightest trace of spooge. I might try to lean out the main a step or two when the motor has more time on it but I am very happy with the way it carburates. I spent many days dialing in my 125 jetting so it was nice to make one simple change and have the 150 crisp.

I did not have the dreaded bog other people were talking about. In fact the bike felt perfect on the trails. I did find one really steep but technically easy hill which let me really load the motor in third. It seemed a little resistant to climb onto the pipe. If I had not read all the power valve threads I would have not worried about it and just stabbed the clutch. But I pulled the pipe / power valve cover and moved the bolt from the bottom to approximately ¾ from the top. Now the bike pulls perfect from idle to top. That sure was easy.

I bought the bike for the new frame and suspension but the motor was really the stand out feature yesterday. It does not require the throttle control of a 250 yet needs very little clutch work. On my 125 I would usually run a gear high and feather the clutch a lot. I hardy touched the clutch on the 150. The bike still feels easy to ride but it was dry. This is one fantastic motor. It is so crisp, responsive, and just always has the correct amount of power.

As far as ergonomics go the bike feels smaller then my old 06. It is laid out to ride aggressively and it is very easy to get on the front of it. They sure did not put much padding on the front of that seat though. I need to get the suspension dialed and before I really know how it handles but so far it feels like a good improvement over my 06 which already handled great.

I know the suspension has great potential but it is a bit harsh at this time. Usually I like the stock shock valving but it felt a little bouncy and it kicked a few times. I have not played with the clickers yet though and I think I put too much preload on it. The forks stated loosening up some. From what I read they come needed some preload added and the inner chamber is not always bled. I am not sure if I should fix these issues myself or if I just need to send them to LTR if I want them to work?

There were a few nitpicks I noticed. When backing the preload off all the way I discovered that the lock ring rubs the airboot. When removing the plastic guard over the front sprocket I noticed the lower bolt hole had some sort of metal insert. Is this a new think or did the factory screw up my threads? The bolt that was in it was messed up and I had to replace it. The V-Force reeds were installed with the “V Force III” lettering facing the pipe. This is just cosmetic but if a bike comes with nice parts stock you want to show it off. I see that the reed cage still has those stupid tamper proof bolts. The pipe mount near the stinger seems really stupid to me. If the pipe is off just a little bit there is no way to mount it. I will miss the grease zircs also. The old chain was a Regina and the sprocket was Renthal. What chain is on there now? I would like to get a spare master link. Overall though the bike is a nice improvement. It is even easier to work on and I really like the way the new tank comes on and off.

The bike works so well with the little prep I have done I don’t know how much more I will do. I have to do something with the suspension and put some decent tires on it when the rain comes. And of course a bigger tank is needed. That’s about it. I really could not ask for a better woods bike.
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well congrats and I am glad you are able to ride and report. Excellent pic of the bike and very nice write up.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That is my finding as well. :thumbsup:
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I liked Woodschick's bike for the little amount of time that I rode it, even though we around 8000 ft + elevation. It ran ;pretty good and I think it would run great at lower elevations.:thumbsup:

Makes me wish that I were rich.:D
  5. naga Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250. TXC450
    Great thorough report! :thumbsup:

Problem is - now I'm stuck trying to decide which kid to sell to buy a new bike... :D
  6. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Excellent heads up, these 150's sound like very exciting machines. Good luck with her. Dirtdame you are very rich in life.
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Nice report NWRider. :thumbsup:
    I had ~20 hours on mine when I sent the forks to Les and he said they still weren't broken in yet. I will say that I think it is a no-brainer to box up your shock and forks and send them to Les at LTR. Mine are absolutely amazing since he revalved mine. All that trash you used to try to avoid or brace for now just doesn't exist.

Walt
  8. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thanks for the report. Youve done the same mods that I would do and have a great bike. I guess a few more rides and you wil have it sorted.
    As you say there is more improvement in the motor which leads me to think 144 kit is more important to me than a model upgrade at this stage..
  9. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

For now the motor is what really impressed me. But I could have saved a lot of money by just making my old bike a 144 if I just wanted that. I know the forks can be far better then the 45's so I hope to have them working well soon. It feels like it should also handle better but I was taking it easy by myself, and the suspension is unbalanced, so for now all I can rave about is the motor. I think it has been improved in many ways but the older one was already a real nice bike.
  10. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Get 20 hours on the bike before you worry abot the forks. Mine seem to get better every ride as they break in.