1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc First WR250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jmp2001, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jmp2001 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Hi Guys

Just purchased a 2013 WR250. Previously, I was riding a Yamaha TTR125L. Whats the best way to break the bike in? Any other tips or suggestions that I should know about as a new owner of this bike? Thanks so much!
  2. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 HUSABERG FE 350 ,2014 KTM 300XC
    30:1 pre mix and pound the crap out off it !!!
  3. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    Drain the cooling system of the goop that's in there and flush with some hot water, then replace with real coolant. I changed to a 1.6 radiator cap which solved my coolant loss on every ride problem. I think my stock cap was defective. Check your coolant every ride!
  4. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Don't do this.

Find a ratio you are going to always use, jet the bike for this ratio and ride the bike. Adding more oil makes a leaner air fuel ratio and we all know what happens when you lean thing out to much.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    True. I brought home my new 300 last spring, and as soon as I made sure that it had the correct jetting in it, I mixed the Motorex at 60 to 1 and have been running that ever since.
  6. tbeaton Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz250f
    whats the ratio from the factory?
  7. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    the factory ratio is sort of a default thing
    imagine someone buying oil at wallmart and wondering why a high tech engine failed
    buy good oil and never look back, currently Golden Spectro 50:1 considering 60:1
  8. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 HUSABERG FE 350 ,2014 KTM 300XC
    30:1 At break in , read the manual
  9. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    manuals are irrelavant

dissconnect the negative cable :thumbsup:
    Dirtdame likes this.
  10. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    32:1 i believe. first tank at least!
  11. muggsy Husqvarna
    A Class

I have an 09' wr250 ..... I broke mine in on Amsoil Dominator @44:1 and have been running it ever since.... I did install a Keihin PWK carb after about 6 months of constant jetting woes however. So far 2 yrs. of trail riding and about 15 or so Hare Scrambles, still on the original top end and running great.... for that matter I'm still on the original spark plug !!! Never over heated.... never lost coolant... It's a great bike, like any bike it has a few quirks but are easily fixed... One thing for sure, either fabricate a strap to hold the kickstand up or remove it all together (I opted to remove it).....It likes to come down at very in-opportune times ! It's a far cry from your TTR .... Take it easy on the first ride... then let'er rip !!
  12. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    I created a super high tech, bling bling kickstand strap for my wr. 2 zipties attaching a 1.5" long section of a used front tube works awesome, stretches nice and holds it secure and it doesnt cost anything but a coupla zip ties. Make sure you do secure it tho!
    As far as the premix goes, i started with the break in mix for like 2 tankfuls and then went to 42:1. May seem a little thick but it runs awesome, never stalls, and Ive only changed the plug once in 20 hours just cuz Im a stickler for maintenance. There was nothing wrong with it.
  13. Motojo Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 Adventure
    I also switched to the Keihin PWK from JD jetting on my 2010 WR I run Belray H1R with 44:1 ratio and no problems. Best rule of thumb on mix ratio is to follow the oil manufactures recommendation
  14. sned2502st Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR250
    30-1 would be a richer mix as far as the amount of gas to oil ratio. Adding more oil would make it richer not leaner and would most likely foul the plug right away.
  15. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    in reality adding oil means less gas going through the carb jets, but in the real world unless you are leaned out as far as you dare you will find 32:1 vs 40:1 not as dramatic as it looks and that is a big change
    now that sid I always reccomend rejetting after any fuel or ratio change
    as to 32:1 is 3% added oil as in not fuel and 40:1 is 2.5% added oil, 32 parts fuel to 1 part of oil,
    over the years I have changed oils I remember when 16:1 was the common mix, I went to 32:1 in the 70's, 40:1 in the 90's I am currently running 50:1 and I did rejet as necessary
  16. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    wow thats some good info. I thik i'll try changing my ratio a little and see how it goes.
  17. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sure what ever you say. I have only being repair mistakes like this for 30 years or so but I'm sure you're correct. Thanks
    Glenn haynes likes this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep, I agree. Manual says so and there is no issues doing that. Going from 40:1 to 30:1 with good oil will make no difference and you have to go way off the map to make it so gas lean it would be a problem and you would have so much oil it would be near impossible to seize it. Run a few 32:1's through it and then find out what you want to run and do that. I like Amsoil at 40:1 and feel it is super reliable doing so. Have tested this big time a few times.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

More oil means leaner mixture because there is less fuel per volume. The more oil displaces fuel per unit and makes it leaner (air to fuel mixture). Make sense? IMHO though not enough to matter.

No reason to have an attitude about it, this is a wide spread misconception and understandable. Would have taken the same effort to explain as it did to be sarcastic.
    Long_Stroke likes this.
  20. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

No reason to have an attitude about it, this is a wide spread misconception and understandable. Would have taken the same effort to explain as it did to be sarcastic.[/quote]

Sorry Dad won't happen again please don't take my Xbox away.