1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc First WR300

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by dbldtop, Mar 3, 2013.

1. dbldtop Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi,
    I have a TE450, and now I own a WR300 as well. I picked the bike up over the weekend, but the bike won't idle. I adjusted the idle screw (on the carb with a jam nut?)..nothing...and then I adjusted the throttle cable...bike starts let it sit and it will die....clogged jet?

As the bike is stock, is there a sticky on all of the mods available for this bike? I love the smooth acceleration, bike runs good...I just need to get this idle licked.
    Thanks,
  2. Bryan M Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    10 GasGas ec300, 12 Ducati Monster
    i had the same problem with idle on my bike. ultimatly i ended up changing my carb to the Keihin PWK. Its still a bugger to cold start but im working through that, but it idles sooooo much better now... good luck!
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    What year 300? First of all, your throttle cable needs to have some slack in it. You probably have a clogged pilot circuit causing the problem. Take the float bowl off, clean anything that looks gunky. Remove the pilot jet and air screw. Clean the jet. Make sure you can see day light through it. Blow compressed air through it. Blow compressed air through the hole that the air screw fits in. Are you running a Mikuni carb? Make sure that you have the right size pilot jet for your carb. I ran a #45, then a #40 to get things close. The air screw should be reinstalled and turned in til it lightly bottoms out, then turn it back out about one and 1/4 turns. Set your idle after the bike warms up. If you have a Keihen carb, Somebody else will have to tell you what size pilot jet will be ideal.
  4. dbldtop Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a 2010 wr300...Mikuni ...the AS is turned in all the way and it's locked by a jamnut....turning it out with the jamnut is worse....i will try what you recommended...i was looking at a jet kit so i will try this out. thanks..i am a neebie at the wr so i am open to suggestions to further tune this bike...thanks
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    did the bike come with jets? The stock ones are WAY lean.
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    that's not the AS. that's the idle screw and should not need messing with. back it out til it's flush with the nut, maybe a thread or two poking out, then lock the nut.

the air screw is between the fuel line and the boot. lil tiny sucker way in there. back it out 1.5 turns from all in after the clean out dirtdame suggested. if you are not familiar with the jetting process please take it to a mechanic. not a chop just saying its not worth burning it up. i got mine to go ok with the stock needle/nozzle with some fiddling but its super easy to go way wrong with the stock nozzle/needle combo.

i finally got the JD kit and replaced the jet nozzle with the #9, the red needle @ #3, 430 main, the rest per directions.

it was good before, it's outstanding now. just the sound it makes idling and coming down the trail makes peeps comment. and, move the hell out of the way.

if you hammer hard and are using the stock stuff do a #45 pilot to start, AS 1.75 out, needle clip in the bottom groove, 440 main as a safe baseline and trim from there. again, its easy to go way wrong with the stock nozzle/needle combo. if you try and lean anything out from this, turn the AS back into 1.25 to 1.5 at thevery max and keep reading that plug.

i HIGHLY recomend the JD kit at the very least, no room to type all the reasons, next would be the Lectron carb.
    Motosportz likes this.
  7. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

do you ever lay the bike over on its side until the gas runs out of the carb then pick it back up and kick. Sounds bad but it really does work when the bike is cold Just try it
    454x and Glenn haynes like this.