1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc floppy 125 shifter

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by NWRider, Apr 20, 2009.

1. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

my shifter has a lot of slop in it. Not in the tip but from where it mounts on the shift splines. I took it off, applied lock tite on the splines, then put it back on and it was solid. But after a little riding it migrates out on the shaft as far as it can and gets loose again. I checked the bolt and it was as tight as I dare get it.

Does anyone know a fix for this? Do shifters off any other bikes work on the Husky 125?

Thanks
  2. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Make or buy a spacer that goes between the bolt and shifter. It acts like a washer and I was able to tighten it more and have not had a problem since. Mine is approx .250 thick so a longer bolt would be needed.

[IMG]
  3. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I might try that but I think it is tight enough though. It is very hard to get a wrench on that bolt which I am assuming the spacer is a fix for. I used a dremel on the lever to fix the same problem. I can crank it down as tight as I dare now. I am thinking that maybe before I did this fix the loose fit allowed the shifters teeth to wear and now it is just not going to work. It is nice and tight when all the way on the shaft but it always migrates outward then is floppy regardless of how tight the bolt is.

I have some red loctite that is made for securing interface fits. Maybe I will try to put it all over the shaft and see if it stays tight.
  4. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Definitely start with a new shifter. If you try to use an old one it will not work. The splines have already been damaged.
  5. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Do you know if this is any oem only part? I was thinking there has to be a crossover but without a pile of shifters from other brands I would have no idea what to get.
  6. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm sorry, nothing else fits.
  7. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Moose Racing steel one for late 90's through '04 or so fits. I put one on my '02. MYA17 is the part number.
  8. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

It fits a newer 125? 06 - 09?
  9. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes.... I put newer alloy one ('04 up) on the '02 and kept Moose as a spare. The splines are same '99-'09.
  10. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    Another way you can get it tighter is to file a couple of teeth off the inside of the shifter,it worked on my old Triumph.
  11. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    thats the best advise.....

the steel splines on the shifter shaft will still be ok...

its a good idea to check the torque of that bolt every few rides.....
  12. rajobigguy Administrator

Check with George at Uptite. He makes a spacer that goes between the shifter and engine case. It's simple and works like a charm. If you're old shifter is already wallowed out you should get a new one but get the spacer and install it at the same time.:cheers:
  13. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks. I notice that is a Yamaha shifter. I wonder if certain other Yamaha ones work also? Steel would probably be best anyway so I will look for the Moose one.
  14. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sweet, thanks for the correction. Is it the same profile as the stock one?
  15. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Any other aftermarket or OEM Yamaha shifter that fits same Yamaha application would fit.

Sweet, thanks for the correction. Is it the same profile as the stock one?

Close, but cruder and very square in profile. I ground the inside top edge to get better clearence by chain. At $24.95 it makes a cheap spare in your tool box. OEM Husky alloy one was $90.00 at Cagiva pricing, but may have come down with lower Husky NA parts pricing. OEM Husky '99-'02 one is steel, but is shorter than the alloy one or Moose steel one. Bike shifts better with longer one.