1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc flywheel weight install mistake

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by zilly, Dec 26, 2010.

1. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    So I hate to even write this down because I feel so stupid, but oh well here I go.

Day after christmas setting about installing the new flywheel weight (Christmas Present) on my sons cr125 and everything is going great.
    Put weight on, torque new nut to spec and try to install cover. Cover, with spacer, won't fit...Take a second look and realize that I had not hand threaded the reverse threaded flywheel weight onto the shaft. It clearly explains this in the instructions so its COMPLETELY my fault. So, now I unscrew the new nut and pull the weight off which does not come off easy.

After I unscrew the new nut and pull the flywheel I discover that I have goobered the reverse threads (just the first run) on the flywheel weight and of course it wont thread on. Crap!

Needles to say I am very bummed and mad at myself right now. Does anyone know if I can just take this to a local machine shop and get them to fix it or do I eat the cost of this and try another the correct way?

thanks
  2. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Just run it some place and have a tap run thru the threads from the oppostie way. Hey, we all make a boo boo every once in a while.

Don't feel bad. I used an impact on one and forgot to put it on forward instead of reverse and snapped the end of the crank threads off, in two seconds. Had to buy a complete crank half. It was on my 87 430.
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Got a thread file? If no, se if you can clean the starter threads up with a regular file and a pick. Just work the starter threads down a bit and clean any metal from the grooves.
  4. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    thanks!

I'll be headed to a machine shop Monday or Tuesday to see what they can do.

Nice to know other people make mistakes. Its amazing how simple jobs can get amazingly hard in a moment.

Ill post up with what I find out. Going to try and get a ride in this week and I'd like for son to get to try the new flywheel out!
  5. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

6. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    No thread file, but I just followed the above link and will have one shortly.
    Thank you!

I do have a pick and will work on the weight this afternoon.
    Maybe that will be enough.
  7. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Thread files usually come in a pack of 4-5 to cover all the thread pitches (The ones I got anyway) They take great patience to save a buggered male thread but worth their weight even if you save one thread.
    If you're not comfortable with using them then a machine shop would be a good choice.
    Let us know how you make out.:thumbsup:
  8. CARL REHATCHEK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    If your feeling lucky you could put a glob of grease on the crank shaft(to catch any threads or filings) from cutting the crank seal..

Then using a battery terminal "POST" cleaner and turning it counter clockwise then clockwise it will clean up and loose threads.

I would use a good thread cutter on the none boogered side of the mag nut and try to start it that way and careful us it as a tap turning it counterclockwise and clockwise like you would be using a die BUT only run it down til you hit good threads of the nut to good threads on the crank end..NO FURTHER

If you get it started and going back and forth then I would get all the metal wiped out and clean.. I would also use a new nut to finish the job.
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
  10. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    Ok,
    took the weight to a machine shop only to be told, (think True Grit) "I can do nothing for ya."

Darn!

Went to a local tool specialty store bought the thread file for metric threads figuring I had nothing to lose.

Worked on the threads for 10 or so minutes really didn't notice a difference tried to thread the weight on and noticed it was starting but not perfect. Kept working on the threads over and over and pretty soon the darn thing threaded on.

Thread file. Great tip:thumbsup:
    Thanks for all the help.

Riding tomorrow:cheers:
  11. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Cool. :applause:

See, you don't need to stinking machine shop. :thumbsup: