1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Fork oil in 06 WR125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by James Patton, Jul 7, 2013.

1. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    How much are you guys running? I know my manual says 3.18 but hoping to learn something.
    Just put new fork seals in, I use the bike for tight single track, and playbikeing, I like it almost
    trials like, suggestions?
  2. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    So anyway, I disassembled the forks several times aligning springs, rod, some truing on the tubes, till they moved
    smoothly, disregarded oil instructions in manual. Keep trying different levels till it felt right.
    Took it to ride yesterday, played with the adjustments, it is really nice small bump and very progressive.
    could not believe that getting the springs unbound and getting things working smoothly could make so much
    Difference. It took me about 4 hrs., but it was worth it. Ended up with almost a full bottle of 2.5wt. PJ1 in each
    Fork leg. Was not aware the tube were not true. Used a dial indicator, V blocks, a large C clamp to true, there
    Was a small amount of binding that seemed amplified when reassembled. Once that was removed they work as
    They should.
  3. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    FYI, forks should be filled by oil level, not oil volume. In other words, fill it until the oil is at the correct depth from the top of the tube (fully compressed, springs out). Don't worry too much about how much fluid they take, I just use that as an indicator of how much to expect to use.
  4. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    Yes, 1st time thru them I went with the 3.18" from top, but then I knew approximate volume and tuned from there.
  5. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    3.2" is about 80mm, which is higher than most people usually run. If it's working for you, I suppose go for it, but usually people run 110-90mm.
    R_Little likes this.
  6. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    I started at 3.25, and worked my way down, I don't know what the measurement was at the end.
    Somewhere around 650 cc and they are right where I want them. I think getting them working smoothly, and
    everything aligned properly is more important than oil level. If these other items are not correct the oil level is moot.
  7. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    upto 135mm from top if you want them plush drill out the base valve orifices to 3.5mm i did a thread on this mod a while back look up on the search for 45mm shiver mods.
  8. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Here's the link to your thread: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/45-shiver-mod.27271/

You say "drilled out the bleed holes" but you also say "just enough so they do not effect the shim sealing surfaces." Generally, "bleed holes" are any holes that allow oil to get through the valve without having to go past the shims. Did you drill/add bleed holes, or did you enlarge the existing ports behind the shims?

You also say "also positioned one of the smaller shims behind the largest shim to help with the flex." Can you clarify what shim stack you ended up with, or how you changed it?

I am probably pulling my Shiver 45s apart this weekend and I am going to work on both of these things, I have some plans of my own but would be curious what you did.
  9. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    my bad terminology not bleed holes but enlarge the existing ports behind the shim stack that the shims mate against, i merely moved the existing shims around in an all or nothing attempt to get the forks to be more compliant before laying down some cash on gold valves.
    as described in the mod you can do the work by just removing the forks and working on them upside down, the effect may be the same just drilling out the holes, i had the same issue with the wp 43s on my gasgas but after looking at the base valve design decided the problem lay elsewhere and have had to do the shim stack and sticky seals.
    hope everything turns out well but if you want a plusher ride this is a definite step in the right direction.
  10. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

80mm is the stock spec for MX....I run about 100mm