1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Fork seals leaking on my new wr300

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firecrotch, Jul 2, 2010.

1. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I laughed. My new 09 WR300 was leaking fork seals in the garage after an hour or two break in ride. The reason I laughed? My 87 husky cr 250 would always leak fork seals no matter how many times I changed the dang thing. Is it the same with this bike or is this a fluke and should I just fix em, buy some fork seals and ride?:cheers:
  2. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

i think it is a fluke.the 50 mm marz forks are not bad leakers at all...usually.i think a warranty claim should be made.dan
  3. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    70hrs on mine with no problems. Except I need to service them.
    I hear Synergy makes superior seals than OEM for these forks.
  4. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

About 78 hours or so on our WR125 with the 50mm Marz, and one finally started leaking after a hard couple of days in mud/clay.

JS
  5. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

I run seal savers on all my bikes and have minimal problems. And when one does start weeping, I use the 35mm film trick/goggle tearoff and it stops the leak 90% of the time. I haven't had to change a seal in years.
  6. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    You can say I'm crazy, but I seem to get much better seal life when I use Mobil ATF in forks. I normally only use it in the outer chamber of TC type forks.

I've also been using LEAK PROOF PRO MOLY seals with good results. They are similar to SYNERGY SEALS and you can remove, clean and reinstall them if they do start to leak.
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I used to use Dextron III in all my old style forks. In my old KDX 200, I never once had a leaky fork seal. A few years ago, I overhauled the forks with new bushings, seals and wipers. I decided to use regular fork oil in them on that rebuild....and both seals blew out. I went back to ATF on the last seal replacement.
  8. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Hmmm....at such low hours...I would think that your zokes are not lined up right.....try loosening the axle pinch bolts on the bottom of the right leg...then slide it around to find a spot where it will sit on the axle with no tension...then tighten the pinch bolts back up

Also not uncommon if lots of muck is involved..it only takes a small bit on grit to get in there...its a good idea to slide the wiper off and clean the seal area with contact cleaner and then apply a small amount of silicone grease...running a piece of 35mm film under the seal lip will dislodge grit just try to rotate it downward when turning to make sure your not pushing grit into the fork....

lately I have been pulling the wiper off when washing my bike and shooting the seal area(carefully) of muck...dry it off and slip the wiper back on....

BUT....leaky fork seals is a real bone of contention with all bikes regardless of make.....when you think of it the seal controls 12 inches of leg travel..in muck...rocks..fine dust..etc all low down these days with USD forks the seals take a S.it kicking...I am surprised that someone hasnt come up with a better design for protection

seal savers are a step in the right direction......
  9. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

Still have the stock oil seals in my 07, bought new at the beginning of 07 and i am on the end of the 4th top end. One of the seals did start leaking but did the 35mm film trick and it stopped.
  10. Anthony_1978 Husqvarna
    AA Class

11. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Troy may have hit the nail right on the head. If the forks arn't aligned properly they can weep. I have found that the quick release handle on the front axel can be a hinderence here. Make sure it is not up tight against the fork quard-at least untill you have correctly aligned the forks.
  12. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

I always rotate the pull forward on the axel, not because of the alignment issue but because it would push my fork guard into the guide on the fork.
    I also leave the pull side loose comp the forks a few times to align the forks, I also pull the dust seals off clean inside where the oil seal is and then put grease on the dust seal, keeps the dirt from getting to the oil seal you just have to remember to clean it out because the grease gets contaminated with dirt
  13. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would say that it is a fluke. I would fix the fork seals. I have had good luck with the zokes except if I went riding in alot of mud or clay and at the end of the day was to lazy to wash the bike. (i should not have done that) the next time I went riding, bingo, blown fork seals. My friend has and 09 wr300, and has had no problems whatsoever. If the bike is new I bet a good dealer could warrenty them for you. Goodluck! Oh yea, and if you do not fix them you will need new front pads to.
  14. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    So, of you folks that have done your own seal replacement, what would you rate the difficulty level at? We have successfully replaced fork seals on Kayaba and WP forks, so we have serviced forks before. I have a full manual for the forks (which, incidentally, I can e-mail to anybody that wants it). Are the Zokes any more difficult that the aforementioned brands?

2009 TXC 450
  15. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    They seem to be like any other brand. The ones on my TE450 are the open cartridge style, so those are super simple and quick to change out.
  16. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    The twin chamber Zokes are cake to do fork seals on. Much easier than the twin chamber Showas or the open chamber kayabas I have done.

Here is a quick step by step.

special tools required...
    4mm pin spanner for top cap (I use the tool that came with my grinder)

50mm fork seal driver (can be made of PVC pipe but once you use a real one you will never use PVC pipe again)

I use a plastic sandwich bag, turned inside out and covered with grease to keep the new seal from getting nicked on the top of stanchion tube where the bushings go.

A soft jaw vice is handy also.

1. loosen top triple clamp pinch bolts
    2. loosen top fork cap
    3. remove front brake caliper
    4. remove front wheel
    5. remove fork guards
    6. loosen lower triple clamp bolts
    7. remove forks
    8. completely loosen the top cap
    9. pour out old oil
    10. tighten the top cap a couple turns
    11. remove 21mm foot nut
    12. loosen top cap and remove inner chamber (set it somewhere clean and safe)
    13. remove spring and spring spacer
    14. slide dust wiper to the bottom of the fork
    15. remove the spring clip that holds the seal in slide it to the bottom of the fork
    16. slide the inner and outer tubes apart like a slide hammer until they separate
    17. remove bushings
    18. remove fork seal washer (this is directional, the step faces the seal)
    19. remove fork seal
    20. remove spring clip
    21. remove and clean or replace dust wiper

Assemble in reverse order, add 280ml of your favorite oil and you are ready to roll.

Later,
    Anthony_1978 and Phoenix like this.
  17. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks to both of you. We'll give it a shot. It certainly adds up to spend $150 everytime a fork seal blows!

On a similar note, does anyone know of any speed bleeders that work on the newer Zokes?
  18. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    Leakers

We have had a few leakers the last year on new or almost new,all 3 of them had plastic tape in the seal from the assy process at the zoke factory,we just warranty them.billf
  19. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Seems from asking those with leakers.......the caliper is going first. All but 1 of 8 folks that had a leaker were caliper side.........hmmmnnn.
  20. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well we finally took the plunge and did the forks. What a piece of cake! Got the Motion Pro driver and All Balls seals/wipers. The manual I had said to put 370cc of oil into the fork...I had forgotten you mentioned 280ml. I'm wondering if the manual I have isn't exactly for a dirt bike. Its not specific, so I imagine not.Oh well, fork oil is easy enough to change.