1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Frame Welding - What needs to be removed

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Brad_O, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Brad_O Husqvarna
    AA Class

Have a crack in the upper expansion chamber mount that needs to be welded. Other than the gas tank any advice on other things I need to take off or disconnect from the bike. Thinking some of the electrical parts might get buggered during welding but not sure.

Any advice ?
  2. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Welding with electric it "can" weld together any metal parts that are connecting. Welding with gas there is no problems noted to that fact. If you can weld right on top of the weld so the electrical current travels the shortest distance to the weld than I wouldn't worry about it. It can back feed through the earth wire (ground wire) so if you have a batterie, remove it and the earth/ground wires to be safe.
    Good luck.
  3. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    yes remove any petrol containers ( carb, tank and plug manifold intake). cover frame area near weld to avoid spatter sticking to it and make sure you have a good earth connection at frame.mig welded my sons rm 85 at the foot peg mount with no issues to electrics.
  4. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    im in the same boat as brad o, still gotta weld a nut on me bottom pipe frame mount. wouldnt we have to disconnect plugs under tank for ignition/cdi/regulator/stator & all that caper? bita welding mite help the oem husky speedo actually function correctly(ha ha i kill me)so wouldnt worry about wreckin that little gem! :)
  5. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV

Brad.... After removing the gas tank you should also disconnect the battey to avoid any back flow though the electrical system... When you set up your ground you will want it as close to the area your going to weld... Make sure the area your going to weld is clean.. Remove all the paint because you do not want that in the weld pool.... It will contaminated the weld and can lead to a weld failure... Before you strike an arc make sure you have your welder dialed in so the weld is smooth and consistent ..... I am a certified welder and this is the best advice I can give you... Good luck and let us know how it works out....
  6. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I've welded that exact mount on my 250 with all the electrics attached to the bike with no problems.

Your experience may vary!
  7. Brad_O Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the info.

I am going to have someone with a little more experience do the welding I am just going to prep it. Guess for the sake of 30 minutes work and a couple beers (which I will consume while wrenching) it really doesn't take that long to disconnect the electrical bits, although it looks like would probably be ok anyway.

Strange how it cracked right along the fold in the bracket, not sure if it was the whack the pipe took or the couple coaxing I had to do to move it off the rad hose.