1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

Fuel Injection?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Picklito, May 17, 2013.

1. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    I wonder if SP was able to purchase any EFI/DFI development that had already been done on that rumored DFI smoker??
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    The technology Husky was using, is owned by an Austrian Company, not BMW. KTM had rejected it, to use the Orbital system. It's actually simpler than the Orbital DI. KTM may use it yet.
  3. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Forget EFI / DFI. Stick with something simple like a Lectron Carb. EFI produces no more power than a well tuned carb. So why have it ?
    Coffee likes this.
  4. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    because it's far more reliable and never requires rejetting.
  5. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    It is not more reliable, and any time you change something it requires remapping. I can jet a carb in 20 minutes, and I've never had an injector or fuel pump fail on a carb'd bike.
  6. pentonpro Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    home
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Suzuki gt 750 lemans
    If you have DI and it cleans up the 2 stroke and makes it more fuel efficient, what is the negative here?
    Riding to and from the trails as well as more fuel to go further. HMMMM, ya simplicity like in 1970s
    mnb likes this.
  7. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Complexity. I worked at a dealership when DI two strokes first came to water craft. We had Kawasaki (FICHT), Bombardier (Orbital) and Yamaha, everyone thought it was going to be great, and they ARE great....as long as everything is working. Injectors (especially the very high pressure DI injectors) fail, fuel pumps fail, if it is going to be DOT legal it will have an O2 sensor...none of that stuff on a carb'd bike. I can tell you from years of first hand experience working with DI two strokes that when something does go wrong, its a nightmare. The idea of a DI two stroke sounds great until you start to feel the realities, then its not clear they are worth the trouble. Some people will think they are worth the extra complexity, but I do not.
    john01, Huskinator and Xcuvator like this.
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I split the difference with a SmartCarb on my WB165.....no injectors, no fuel pump, no maping issues. but I do have better fuel economy, more power, smoother throttle response, no jetting to change once a simple knob is used to dial it in, runs cleaner, without the complicayions of FI or DI. Until the dirt bike word catches up the the car world I'll stick with simple all be it a modern carb.
  9. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The SmartCarb is basically a copy of the Lectron thats been around since the mid 70s.
    Motosportz likes this.
  10. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Little more than that... but either is a step up IMHO.
  11. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, its billet, some other details are different, but its still basically a copy of a Lectron and thats not a bad thing. I agree either is a big step up over a normal carb.
  12. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    I can adjust my tuning in 5 seconds on my JD Tuner. I've never needed to, though. :)

I've never had them fail on an EFI bike. And I've never had a jet clog, a tang need bending or a float bowl seal need replacing, either.

Running a carb means lighter weight, and it's easier to do a field repair on a carb when you experience a failure in the middle of nowhere. Those benefits are more important to some than others.

EFI is vastly superior for emissions control. And before long it won't be an option, it'll be required for that reason alone. Best get used to it. It's time motorcycles carried their share of the environmentally conscious load.
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

As long as it's kept in Kalafornia :D.
    Vinduro and Mike-AK like this.
  14. pentonpro Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    home
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Suzuki gt 750 lemans
    I to have been involved with DI marine world. As Kartwheel68 said they are great. Yea learning curve. Be careful what you wish for. New recent breakthrough in battery technology will results will be that the only wing a ding ding will be on the menu at Buffalo wild wings.
    I noticed no one made reference to it helping the enviroment.
  15. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Because I'm hopelessly hopeful that we Kalifornians might get street legal 2 strokes again. Not because I'm expecting more power. And now I'd like to re-direct this thread back to what Husqvarna might become...
  16. dave lindsey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XCW/2012 CRF230F
    Exactly!! the carbs wont leave you stranded miles from the truck either
    Vinduro likes this.
  17. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ya, the last time I bought a car, I told that dealer "Don't show me any cars with that EFI crap... It'll just leave me stranded."
    maxyb, bhab and pentonpro like this.
  18. pentonpro Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    home
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Suzuki gt 750 lemans
    in the late 90s Honda ran Paris Dakar rallye with a DI technology. no breakdowns. efficient and clean. Then shelved the project because they wanted to start a 4 stroke revolution. 20 years later what do you have?
  19. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The EXP-2 was both carburated and FI, but it didnt have DI.

To be blunt, emissions from dirt bikes might be a visible political issue, but the contribution of pollution from them is completely and totally irrelevant. They are not even a drop in the bucket.
  20. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    It's a bunch of BS. When I get my RED sticker (restricted to certain seasons and riding areas) for my trail bikes that don't conform to emission standards for a green sticker (all year round, all public riding land), there is always a little pamphlet that says something like "your trailbike puts out more exhaust emissions than 100 new vehicles per mile" and blah blah blah. Sounds pretty clean to me. I have been told that the public areas are closed to my WR and my other two stroke bikes from May till October because there is an inversion layer in the area where the OHV parks are. Really? An inversion layer? There are windmills out there, because it's the windiest area of our county. I hardly believe that there is stagnant air out there.
    [IMG]
    Picklito, 454x, lankydoug and 3 others like this.