fuel pump problems

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by auto, Aug 3, 2010.

1. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    I'm working on a friends 08 te510.The bike cut out about a hour after putting a new IMS tank on.The tank was new and clean.It starts,but dies in about 10 seconds.Switched the relays,zip tied the pump in place,cleaned electrical connections.Where I am right now is,if I sub merge the pump in a can of gas while it out side the tank it will run for about 10 seconds and then you hear the relay click and the pump stops.Turn the key off and on,same results.I would think the pump would just keep running since the outlet is open and the pump can't max out on pressure.Any ideas???? thanks
  2. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Faulty relay?

I'm not sure if these are replaceable but I seem to remember it being mentioned just this week on a thread.

I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12070&highlight=relay

Check a post by Waserman (Post #18) where the dealer says the relay could be at fault. Other items there might help but hard to say.
  3. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    I don't know... but I would assume the ECU is turning it off after 10 seconds, Because I don't think it should run and run and run if it can't build pressure. I mean it would make sence to some degree to have that "controle" in the system. If you power it with 12 volts uncontrolled by the ecu and relay's your test may show then, in theory, that it just runs non-stop.

What does the bike exacty do after it dies? does the bike still prime the fuel pump and not start? How is the case cap vented? Bling Dohicky one way or straight vent hose. There is a test for the pump in the manual- if you don't have it PM me your email and I'll try to get that section to you- it was posted somewhere before.

Gasoline and electricity- be carefull. and never run the pump dry for more than a second or two- it will burn up.
  4. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    I tried it in bucket of gasdirect to a battery.Pump will run continues.It did sound like it was laboring the longer it would run.Did not run it too long that way.Right nowwith it back together,the pump will run and prime up.the bike will start,but run crappy.Like it starving for gas.The bike dies and the pump will not run.I wait 5-10 minutes and the pump will run,but it acts the same way.I think the pump is going bad and will not make max pressure and the locks up.This guy has had a lot of issues with this 510.I tell him he needs a $600 dollor pump on top of the other problems he's had.I'm sure he'll be done with Huskys
  5. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    There are a few threads on Thumpertalk that document pumps going out- this sounds like 1 or 2 of them. The laboring part, could be the pump dealing with internal friction unfortunately- HOWEVER, it may be worth trying to change the Fuel Filter as a last attempt in my opinioun.

For me- if my pump went out- I would be very disheartend, although I have had many miles of very positive results from my EFI fueled Husqvarna. I would not loose any faith in the system itself or the bike. I do wish a solution was found so you could "just" replace the actual fuel pump rather than the whole fuel pump assembly.

Good on you for helping a buddy too:thumbsup:
  6. CARL REHATCHEK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    You may check to see the battery is holding 13-14 volts while it is running as the votage loss will produce the same senerio.

Any of the relays on the side should be the same(on a 2010 TE 250 they are) and if the turn signal one is then plug and play and see if it continues..

Chow, Carl
  7. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

The fuel pump power is controlled by the ECU through the 'power relay'. It normally is energized for ~3 sec when the ignition is first turned on. It also re-energizes when it senses crankshaft movement. So the only time the pump runs continuously, is when the engine is running.

Have you connected the pump output to a pressure gauge? It should be about 40 psi. If too low, pump is bad, filter clogged or relief valve stuck open, too high-pressure relief valve stuck closed.

Having iBeat information on injector pulse time at idle would be helpful.
  8. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    Thanks for any ideas.It defently is low pressure.Is there any way to check the relief valve?
  9. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

The pressure relief valve is part of the pump assembly plate. It is oart of the casting between the outlet fitting and the fuel filter hose.
    You could check it by connecting compressed air in place of the filter hose and block the outlet fitting. With a pressure gauge on the air line; I think you should be apply at least 20 psi before the relief valve opens.

The other way would be to connect a pressure gauge to the outlet fitting and submerge the pump assy in paint thinner (less flammable than gasoline), power the pump and check the pressure and see if the relief valve is by-passing fluid.

The relief/ bypass valve is design to regulate the fuel pressure by returning excess pressure above ~40 psi. The valves outlet port is just an open hole since the valve is inside the tank.
  10. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    I need a new pump.Is there a plan B for a replacement pump,instead of the grossly overpriced OEM assembly?
  11. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    I'm surprised someone hasn't retrofitted a pump instead of replacing the whole assy. Have seen low priced pump assemblies for Honda atvs and several other manufacturers. One of these should work OK if care is taken to replace the pump alone and leave the pressure relief and associated hardware intact. Being the cheap bastard that I am I would certainly exhaust all the possibilities before shelling big bucks for a pump assy. just to replace a $20 pump!
  12. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    I'll find a pump.I have a friend working on it. I do think it will be a bit more than $20,but not $600.Thanks for your help
  13. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    I see on www.Ronnies.com a fuel pump assy. for the Honda TRX 680 ATV is $140. Don't know if pump is suitable for retrofit but flow capacity should be good.
  14. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    I found a pump that works.A little bigger,but maybe that's a good thing. After I test it long term and see if it holds up,I'll offer them up for sale.
  15. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    You might want to check your gas. I just put on a IMS tank 1yr ago put gas in it the gas turned black immediately maybe a reaction to the plastic, I dont know. Anyway to make a long agonizing story short, the "black gas" turned into fine particulates that ultimately went through EFI filter and clogged it up and went through the pump and destroyed it. Pressure dropped would not run at all. Paid $500 something bucks for a new pump solved my problem.

Still dont know to this day if it was the IMS tank to blame or if that brand of gas just did not like its environment.

Good luck.
  16. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    I hope IMS did their home work
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I'm a Husky guy through and through but if I do get to purchase another bike, I will not purchase a 08,09,010,011 model in the future that has a fuel pump.... this is just too much $ and too big of a chance of faulty devices ... Maybe something can be found to fix this issue in the future but I doubt it ... It has been going on too long ...

Good luck with the gas issue :)
  18. cristian Husqvarna
    C Class

All fuel injected bikes have fuel pumps :). Simply an issue of finding a pump with 40psi pressure output.
  19. brock Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is it within his 2 year warranty?I guess not...
  20. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    In the US we get 6 month warranty ^