Fuel Pump won't prime after motor warms up?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Harvooo, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Harvooo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE 450
    Hi all, I have a 2010 TE 450 that was bought new, (dealer non current) this spring and only has about 1500 klms on it.
    Now here's my trouble, The bike starts and runs fine when cold, but after everything warms up after a ride, you don't dare shut it off unless you are back home because the fuel pump will not prime again. Let the bike cool down and the pump will prime and away you go again.

I have checked fuses, they are good.
    I replaced the Temp sensor and that didn't help.
    I pulled the fuel pump and put 12 volts to it and it didn't do anything??????. good or bad
    Put it back in the bike and it primes and works again, until the bike warms up, and you shut it off.
    My dealer has a new pump on the way,(it's been 2 weeks) but I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas on what this Gremlin could be.

Thanks in advance Har-veee :banghead:
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Same thing happened to my bike, the inside of the pump has developed a thin layer of varnish that is impossible to get out of the pump...believe me, I tried, the pump heats up inside the hot gas tank (right above a hot, race motor), the pump swells up just enough to stop turning, the only thing that will help it is cooling gas, pumped in, or time to cool down. You must replace the pump, and for a bolt in solution, you need a 30mm pump body (think very smnall pump, the smallest car pump is 38mm).

You can get a 30mm pump off fleabay, but at least 1 member here had bad luck with the cheap pump he got there. The best place to get one is CAcycleWorks, I've heard they have a reallly good guarantee.

http://ca-cycleworks.com/products/fuel-carbs/fp-hus

[IMG]
  3. Harvooo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE 450
    Thanks OHR,
    The 1 from the dealer has been awhile coming but it is under warranty. I think I will order 1 from cycleworks and express deliver it. Never hurt to have a spare.
    "Keep your Right Hand Cranked" Harv
  4. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

It will help if you put the reflective shield under the tank ...doing both is good insurance ...
  5. proeasy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE-630, TE-510
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1100 RT, XR-400R
    Having a very similar issue with my TE-630 lately, same thing. Shut the bike off, but then will not prime/start. Have to wait about 10-15 minutes. Any Ideas?
  6. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG

How many miles on what year model bike? Possibly same remedy as my post above except i dont know the fuel pump requirements of your bike.
  7. proeasy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE-630, TE-510
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1100 RT, XR-400R
    It is a 2011 TE-630 with about 2,200 miles
  8. my_urban_chaos Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwak Z1000
    Where can I get some reflective shield? Is it a tape or a blanket made specifically for the bike?
  9. Harvooo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE 450
    The CW fuel pump worked like a charm..:banana:
    duggoey likes this.