1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Gearbox oil question

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Scootskipper, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, 1971 Bultaco
    Hi all, I just changed the gearbox oil in my '09 WR125. I normally don't put the whole liter bottle of oil in, but today my thoughts were wandering as I stood there pouring it in and I emptied the whole liter of Belray in to my gearbox. Is there any reason to drain a bit back out, or just ride and not worry? Thanx in advance.
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Sometimes, too much oil will blow out of the the tranny vent on some bikes, but it usually takes more than just a couple of ounces. Somebody in a service department accidentally DOUBLE filled the transmission during PDI on a new bike of mine once. Excited to give my new prize a whirl once I got it home, I fired the beastie up and did a couple of laps around the vacant lot next door, only to come back to the garage with oil sprayed all over my rear shock and wheel. I drained out nearly two quarts of oil and refilled the transmission properly. And yes, the dealer got a piece of my mind about that.
  3. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, 1971 Bultaco
    Thanx, I sort of vaguely remember doing this before without consequence, but I thought that I would make sure. It will be interesting to see how long my clutch lasts. I ride the bike quite a bit, probably six to eight hours a month. I change the gear oil every second or third time that I ride. The bike seems to be holding up well. I frequently slip the clutch with a handful of throttle when I'm trying to wring more out of it. I often see a bit of grey stuff in my used oil, but I assume that this is how it is supposed to be.
  4. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Personally I would run the recommended ammount. Do you have a slurp gun in your garage? They come in handy. If you don't stop by the 99 cent store and get yourself a turkey baster and put a piece of hose on the end of it. Works great for adding a little radiator fluid or sucking out a couple excess ounces of oil.
  5. CagivaWMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

I believe the 125 takes .8 liter. Putting a full liter in isn't that much more oil. I wouldn't put 2 liters in...but that little extra isn't enough to cause any problems.

Some people might actually reccommend it.
    Scootskipper likes this.