Getting out of town.

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by XLEnduroMan, Aug 16, 2009.

1. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    A couple of friends of mine had planned to leave last Wed. to Shelter Cove to camp out and ride around the Lost Coast. I got Thu. and Fri. off from work to tag along a day later. Well they put the trip off for a couple of weeks. I had the time off and wasn't going to waste it so off to Fort Bragg I went, solo. I didn't get out of town untill about noon but no problem as I had time to set up the tent and make it to the North Coast Brewery at dinner time, and even got a table in the pub. :applause: The burger and garlic fries sure hit the spot. After dinner I rode down the coast some to find some beach access. Went as far as Point Cabrillo and gave up and went back to Noyo Harbor and caught the sunset. [IMG] There it goes. [IMG] The next day I didn't want to ride pavement all the way home so I rode to Covelo and rode throught the Mendocino Forest. [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] The transportation. [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] Oh man, back to the valley. [IMG] I have been through the Mendo. forest a few times but not at the start of a weekend. Idiots think they can go as fast as they want and drive on the wrong side of the road. I know better then that. The Husky stayed home and the DRZ was more then happy to get me to the sea and back. :thumbsup:
  2. HairlessKitty Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE 250 w/310 kit; '11 TE 630
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

I'll say!

I love the north coast. My sister used to live in Albion and now she lives in Ft Bragg. I've spent quite a bit of time up there. Lots of fun roads and giggly good times to be had, for sure!

I'll be heading up to the Eel River east of Garberville this weekend, and I'll get there via Usal Rd and Shelter Cove :applause:

Thanks for the photos, EnduroMan! I like the sticker on the back of your helmet :)

WoodsChick
  4. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Been wanting to ride to Island Mountain. It's on the RR line along the Eel, E. of Garberville. Usal to Garberville, I'm guessing the Husky 610 with the custom plate. :thumbsup: Make sure to pack the cook pot. :p

The Shoei Hornet in white is perfect to fly the Husky H on. TY. :cheers:
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Ooh! Island Mountain, the abandoned railroad depot! We've been there!

[IMG]

[IMG]

Did you know it was private property? Yeah, neither did we...til we saw the guy running out into the middle of the road with a loaded shotgun and a scowl on his face. We ended up talking to him for almost an hour. I was really interested in the history of the place and he was happy to oblige, as his family has been there for about 100 years.
    You'd think in all those years someone would have found the time to put up some decent "Private Property-No Tresspassing" signs. I was mortified to learn I had encroached on someone's property. I'm sure he thought we were just punks on bikes but he had a whole different view of us by the time we left, I'm sure :thumbsup: I feel really fortunate to have spent some quality time at the place; it was neat!

WoodsChick
  6. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rats, private property. People that live out in the sticks that don't have propery fenced or signs up and then come off half cocked packing a gun are beyond me. Makes me think they are up to no good and or squaters. Anyways..do you know if the tunnel is open? It looks like it is in your pic. IDK, just curious.

Good pics. Thanks. :applause:
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Yeah, it's open. It is long and dark and nasty...

[IMG]

The land on the other side is private property, too. It's owned by an older couple that uses quads to get in and out through the tunnel. It's a really neat area. I wonder if the tracks are still owned by the railroad company and thus on an easement of sorts? I've always wanted to ride the tracks all the way down the length of that stretch of river, but just trying to navigate the portion near Island Mt was pretty hairball. Lots of washouts, missing track and weird stuff to negotiate.

Sorry for hijacking your ride report. I'm sorry!

WoodsChick
  8. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    [IMG]

Hope that light at the end of the tunnel is not a ........:D
  9. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hijack away. No worries. :cheers: Your photos are always worth it. You 2 rock the mc adventures! :thumbsup: If/when I am there I will want to ride thru that tunnel. The property owner sounds friendly enough to let us explore some. :jawdrop: