1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Go new or rebuild

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by huskybubba, Feb 2, 2014.

1. huskybubba Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 wr250
    What to do? I have 07 wr250. Don't know either buy new beta or update or refresh current bike? The bike has been great except for a cracked cylinder. Like the feel of the Husky. Not ready for ktm.
  2. oneal Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 wr 250 returned home.
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 TE 450 2005 TE 450 1999 CR 125
    it really depends on what the bike is worth to you, if it was mine id find or repair the jug and do the top end. But then other thing to take into consideration is there any other work the bike needs and what it will cost to fix.
  3. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account
    Could rebuild as a 300!! Buy an extra piston kit and be set for awhile until the new bikes shake out???
  4. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm wondering the same thing about my 09. I may just part it out eventually and double it's worth, have to give them away to sell them now. Ashame.
  5. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    I'm looking hard at the Beta or Sherco. I'm not impressed with the time I've spent with my WR. My 2012 WB165 on the other hand has been awesome.
  6. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    What are the top three let-downs of the bike besides resale?
  7. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    [quote="shrubitup, post: 385266, member: 1702at are the top three let-downs of the bike besides resale?[/quote]
    Let down 1. When I bought the bike the lower steering stop was sneered off. Bought a new one with stem and it sheered the first ride.
    Let down 2. The fit and finish of the hardware.
    Let down 3. The lack of a good aftermarket tank.
    Its an ok bike but not as good as some of the past 250/300' s I've owned. On the other hand I love my WB 165.
  8. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Let down 1. When I bought the bike the lower steering stop was sneered off. Bought a new one with stem and it sheered the first ride.
    Let down 2. The fit and finish of the hardware.
    Let down 3. The lack of a good aftermarket tank.
    Its an ok bike but not as good as some of the past 250/300' s I've owned. On the other hand I love my WB 165.[/quote]

I think both IMS and clarke have tanks that fit that bike, actually I believe IMS has a couple.
  9. WVdag Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250 W/300 kit, 2013 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1987 Harley FXLR 10th year edition
    I have the same bike and went the 300 kit route. Very happy with it.
  10. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes Rancher 1 , my bike came with the biggest of the two of the IMS tanks. Made the bike way to wide for my liking. Found a stock tank from BMP and what a difference and it holds 2.7 gallons. It would be nice if there where a 3 gallon available for it.
  11. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    I'd rebuild it. If you've already addressed the problem areas, then they are great bikes. The aftermarket is limited yes, but for me and the riding I do the Husky is a very good fit. I'm definitely in love with mine after 150 hrs and an unfortunate engine failure, a 360 engine swap, and a 6-speed 250 rebuild. I'm planning on running it for at least another 200 hours. By then the new Huskies might be more than just a Husaberg with white plastic.

The tank has not been an issue for me as 95% of my riding is racing. I do tend to drop a 0.5-1 gallon in around the hour mark of a 2 hour hare scramble depending on the type of terrain and how hard I'm on the gas. And I do take advantage of available gas stops in an enduro, but most of that is just for peace of mind. I did the same on a KTM 200 with an aftermarket big tank.

I'd say for tight technical enduro racing, the Husky really stands out. Despite it's dated design, it's still the best bike for technical riding IMHO. When trails get wider than about 3 feet, and the soil turns to loam rather than rock, a different bike might be more suitable. There are plenty being parted out if you can wait for something to pop up. Having a second engine, or an extra set of radiators or whatever on hand is always nice for any bike, but this one especially, when it may take a few weeks to get a part ordered in form the dealer.
    2premo likes this.