1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Got the WB165 the other day!

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Chums, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account
    This bike is gonna be a blast to ride! Just putted around the acreage real easy but it's cool! I've got the 300 and have no illusions the 165 even with the high comp head won't hold a candle to the 300's power but the weird thing is it doesn't need it. The way this motor runs is so hard to explain for me for some reason..it's got torque and snap you can be a gear or two high and it seems to just roll onto the power band as if your in the right gear?? I'm 230 and the bike can take it. I'm making this up but feels like it has that cool power to weight ratio like my 300 just scaled down meaning way less weight and less power but still enough power.I cant wait to put the lectron in and break in the motor so I can ring this thing out!!! It lugs down so far I don't know if I'll even need the rekluse I got and I'm a firm believer in them. Long story short this baby is gonna be a ton of fun!!

Attached Files:

2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The husky+WB165+Lectron= pure bliss for me. I have a new to me 09 144 and it is nice but no 165. Enjoy :thumbsup:
  3. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    sweet looking bike.
  4. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    good to hear the comparison to the WR300. Power to weight ratio you say? :thinking:
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    kudo's on the new ride u gona wally bean it? is your 04 a 7 port??
    Motosportz likes this.
  6. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Congrats - nice bike
    yeh I know what you mean - hard to describe the power delivery . Some may say electric smooth and yeh never bogs down
  7. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    Yep its amazing how good this one lugs.

the nice part is that the weight to power ratio is fun but without that it rips your arms from your torso.

The CRF 450 is by far more exhausting to ride while not being faster if it is not open field.

Robert-Jan
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Maybe 165, was not going to dump a bunch of money in the 09 but miss the 165 for sure. The 04 has the older 04 cylinder for the 165, works fantastic.
  9. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    It looks like a few guys and I are going down to Stillwater Oklahoma the middle of February for a quick and dirty test and tune somewhere that has dirt (not snow) and is warmer! I basically have the 165 to break in my buddy has his KX300 BB to break in, another guy with a custom CRF/KDX 200 set up to tune, another buddy is hoping to test his Smart Carb (if it ever shows up!), keep telling him to get the lectron and be done but whatever.

Halls has done the heat cycles on the 165 and I have buzzed around the yard a couple times but was planning on taking it nice and easy for the first tank then gradually getting more aggressive. Im running a 110/91 mix for the high comp head, anyone know what I would need to run with out a mix? maybe 104 min?Run straight 110 for second tank?

I was also thinking about taking a couple different sprockets to try, I have a 12 and 13 front (13 on now) and a 46, 48,49,50,51 rear (51 on now) running an 18" rear, im guessing its heavier than the 19". I'm 225-230lbs. The 13-51 gearing has plenty of snap but am sure I can go to 50 or 49 with out much loss. Seemed like a bunch of different gearing out there for these bikes from 13-46 to 13-51 and everything in between. I run 13-46 on my 300 for ice, but thats moving on that thing and you have to be more careful about what gear your in. I ride midwest Harescrambles with a huge mix of terrain from flat and curvy to big hill climbs and tight tech stuff.

Any recommendations would be appreciated on break in of the 165 and gearing for this application! Thanks
  10. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've been running 13-50 on my 165 in east coast tight enduro and love it.
  11. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    I changed from 13-52 to 12-49

slight difference but with the sand and mud I've been lately in both a fine combo

Robert-Jan
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I would try the mix, at the point that you get any detonation then just go to straight 110. I think yours "should" work with the mix as it won't have crazy compression but you need to be careful. Just do normal 2T break in, nothing special. I think the 13x50 is a great place to start gearing wise and work from there to fit your needs. I run 13x48, but I am running an auto clutch and a slightly wider ratio gear box.
    Chums likes this.
  13. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    congrats on the 165! i love mine. such an awesome little bike. :thumbsup:

i couldn't go below straight 110 with the higher comp head on my 165. tried 104 and 110/93 mix but both eventually cause slight ping on a hot days. got tired of mixing (and worrying) so went back to the lower comp head and straight 93 pump. bike runs great.

gearing i'm the same as dfeckel, 13-50 for tight east coast stuff. been debating whether to try 14-52 to get a hair more top end but i don't really need it. sometimes on open stuff i wish it had more but don't want to sacrifice how it climbs slow stuff. claws so well.
    jmetteer and Chums like this.
  14. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    i like 12-48 on my 144 smaller is lighter right [yes it PULLS HARD] but id like to know more about Walts wider ratio gear box
  15. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks for all the feed back! I wouldn't think I'd be riding hard enough on the first tank of gas to get detonation so I'll play it by ear then after that.
    I have a rekluse but haven't installed it yet because this little motor is really different. I can almost lock up the brakes and twist the throttle out of a corner without using the clutch and without it stalling. I'm going to get some time on before deciding on the rekluse even though I really like them. I still can't get over how this thing can pull instantly up on to the pipe from almost a stop! Very cool!
    I'll keep the 13 on front then and start with a 50 and take my 51 and 49 to try.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    125 based bikes are crazy hard to stall. And if you do when you let off the rear brake it usually just fires right back up like you never stalled it if you are still moving a little.
    typeone, woodsrider and juicypips like this.
  17. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Sounds like fun, Chums! Now, sell me that 19" rear as you'll never want it offroad and it's just getting in the way in your garage! Send it with your friends to the three-hour icerace!:thumbsup:
  18. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    LOL... N.G.H.! (Not gonna happen!) I will probably use it in the heat of the summer at a few off road tracks that get really dry but dont have a bunch of logs, and I really like to keep all the original stuff so i can take it back to original. I was keeping an eye out for a front rim for it so I'd have a full extra set like my 300, been hard to find a cheap one since there black. LOL :cheers:
  19. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR

+1 can't beat being in a tricky downhill section where you accidentally stall from heavy rear brake... click it up a gear... release the clutch and we're on fire again. :thumbsup:
  20. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sweet. Congrats and enjoy.
  21. retromlc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250i 2018
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta Evo 250 4/
    Wallybean,I sent an email to Kelly the other day about doing a 165 kit for me,can you see if you can find it for me please cheers