1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st GPS options

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by shawbagga, May 30, 2015.

1. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    looking for a cheapish handheld/bar mountable GPS unit just to mark where car is & maybe log some loops. got some pretty big areas to ride in that are easy to get lost in as well. nothing flash just basic unit that is easy to read/operate. anyone use em or got opinion/experience? cheers
  2. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    cheap and easy is a garmin e trex. great simple unit. I have owned a few over the years and they work great. Then i moved up to a gpsmap 62s because it has a bigger screen, more memory and a stronger antenna. Not that i ever really had issues with the etrex reception. I am waiting for the gpsmap 64s to come in any day. All of them i have used a RAM mount for. They allow for great positioning of the unit on your handlebars and work great....usually. I have found though that sometimes when in the ram mount I would notice the unit would shut off. That only happened when i rode in extended high rpm aka high vibration runs. Never really was an issue on tight slow single track. I switched to a Garmin cover and clip it on my hydration pack strap for easy access. Never once had that issue. This happened with every single unit i have owned.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Get a Garmin. Which one? Need to know what features are important to you. You can get a full color touch screen Oregon for about $200 on eBay and it is a very nice unit. Used is fine, these things are pretty rugged. Lots of good units for under $200. Dont go real cheap or you will wish you had not done it at all. Garmins are best IMHO.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i will vouch for ram mounts, i use one on my streetbike. they are well made! huuuuge catalog and selection as well. i have never owned any hardcore offroad gps stuff but i have used gps navigating quite a bit in my life and work with stand-alone devices and i would not hesitate to buy garmin. i use a standard nuvi on my street ride.
  5. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    cool garmin sounds like the go. doesn't have to be anything flash(colour screen etc) as only want it for marking 'home'(ute) & some loops so the more basic the better really. robust(gonna be used on 2Ts-vibes), waterproof & easy to use is a must as im a bit of a nuffy when it comes to technology. was thinking maybe could cut out a hole in the big arse husky bar pad or get another one to swap between bikes so that it sits in there(zip tie it in so don't fall out). was thinking this way not affected by vibes so much & less likely to be smashed in a stack or busted by branches/lost while riding. whaddyas reckon?
  6. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    was hoping for something around the $200AUS price range so around $150US but will shell out a bit extra if its worth it. cheers for replies gents
  7. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic/Ducati SFV2
    The 62s Garmin has been invaluable along with Garmin Basecamp software. Not cheap but once you get used to the interface is a good tool. Not a touchpad but relatively small screen. Very configurable though. I use a mtb Ram mount/cradle zip tied to the bar.$265 plus cost of the mount and a memory card (though a discontinued product for years).

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-62S-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B003IHV6YG
  8. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    And a color screen is the way to go no matter what unit you end up with IMHO
    Motosportz likes this.
  9. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    I got my garmin oregon 450 with me shawbagga if you can work out how to use it your welcone to try it, set up way points easy and overview maps etc i just use it for my speed as it doesn't require any extra wires.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Juicy mentioned way-points ... Not exactly what that means exactly but some of these devices may not allow you to load in a possible route that you have never ridden before but you have seen it on google earth or some other world map ... That may not even matter to you in your area because lots and lots of GPS maps are already on the web for downloading ... No real maps for my area so having that feature is really important for scoping out new riding trails.

I have no contact with these guys; their product has worked very well for ... It has taken a lickin' and is still tickin' ... Believe it or not but I can read that screen and understand where those lines are headed ...
    102_0038_result.JPG
  11. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Way point you can tap this button then save it, get as lost as you like then go into screen menu and navigate to your saved marker location.
    Simples
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I have one of those, it works well but a color garmin is WAY more useful and has background maps. If all you want is bike info and a way to find your way back the Voyager is good.
  13. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    if colour is better you guys reckon ill go that route but honestly I have a speedo on both bikes so speed/distance travelled is not an issue. I really just need an idiot proof(plus water, shock & vibe proof) dummies gps that has a directional arrow that points to home(with distance needed to be travelled to get there etc) that I can log loops on. have lots of trails that intersect so just want to know if im off course on a specific loop ive marked out. yeh I know should get out & ride more then would remember tracks but honestly some joints are just a maze! is that the voyager or the base model garmins?
  14. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Will show you my oregon when i hook up in a few days its waterproof and fairly straight forward, can use it with gloves takes AA batteries and has lasted a few enduros and mx tracks just seeing how fast im actually hitting, 40mph on a close course seems a heck of alot faster than 40 on open roads.
    shawbagga and Motosportz like this.
  15. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    +1 for Oregon 600. RAI had it on sale for $220. well worth it.
  16. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    image.jpg
    Mines about 10 years old and just basic. No nonsense. Easy to use, just turn it on and leave it in the backpack. I don't have any off road maps on it. Just to mark my truck if needed.
  17. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    ^that's pretty much all I need although some memory to log trails would be good
  18. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    I don't remember how many tracks can be saved, but there's quite a few. Just old and basic by today's gps. It sucks that I spent $200 on this used 10 years ago or so!