1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Hacksaw your tank plastics now and you'll thank me later

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by lankydoug, Jun 30, 2013.

1. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    After catching the leading edge of my tank plastics on a small tree and cracking out the front bolt hole I decided to experiment by sawing off the front pointed part so it would not catch anymore brush and trees. I have also feared that one day the pointed edge would tuck neatly in my riding boot while cornering and make me crash. Since squaring off the front I discovered an added bonus in that it made it easy to remove the gas tank without the plastics catching on the bars. I had already purchased an extra set of plastics in case I started caring how my bike looked and I can tell you now they will get the bone saw taken to them before their first ride.
  2. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Great idea for woods riding. When I bought my bike the P/O had done the same as you. I installed 2010 shrouds on mine and so far have gotten away with out sawing off the horns... knock on wood!
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Hmmmm....never had that problem, probably because I am short and I don't ride all that aggressively.:excuseme:
  4. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    It's not really a problem except if you are riding in a lot of tight trees/brush.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I ride very tight and brushy trails, so I have ripped the keeper tabs off the tank shrouds up front....but only on the 300, for some reason. The 450 gets ridden on the same trails, but somehow has managed to stay intact. Both bikes are always wearing sprigs of vegetation jammed between the tank shrouds and the radiator shrouds after a day on the trails.:rolleyes:
    lankydoug likes this.
  6. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Right, I just cut the tabs off and then drill a hole through the upper and lower shrouds right where they meet at the front edge. Then I put a black zip tie through them both. This helps to eliminate the gap between the shrouds that likes to collect vegetation.
    BadMotoWeazal and lankydoug like this.
  7. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I would always come out of the woods with enough vegetation to feed a goat. PowerKord's zip tie is a good idea
    Bill502 and bax3 like this.
  8. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TC 250 '13 CR 150 '11 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    I saw a AA racer use three small rivets to connect the upper and lower shrouds. Only issue I could see is that, with the two pieces rivetted together, you could end up breaking the upper shroud mount tab at the front (well, that seems to happen anyway) whereas, with the current system, there is some give/forgiveness.

I like the zip-tye method better----left just a little loose, the pieces are still connected better than the elementary stock design but there is still some flex between the two.

My dad saw the issue and recommended using tape at the joint---keeps all the crap out and is easily removed/replaced.
  9. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TC 250 '13 CR 150 '11 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    Would you happed to have a before and after pic? I'm looking at your profile pic but can't really tell if that's the modded one.
  10. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    image.jpg
  11. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Sorry it took so long to reply. I just recently learned to post pics from my phone. You could probably cut more off, I went easy on this set of plastics to see how it will do over time.
    LandofMotards likes this.