1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Handlebar Vibration Woes

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by 2whlrcr, Mar 14, 2010.

1. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

Anybody try filling their handlebars with window calk, or something similar, too squelch the vibration? My hands are going too sleep and it's annoying. I've got regular 7/8 hollow bars.
  2. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Check your motor mounts first.
  3. Moto Man Husqvarna
    A Class

Had a friend w/ same problem (hands going numb). He tried everything, grips, bar dampers, even a different motorcycle! Turned out his problem was carpal tunnel syndrome. Surgery cured it. Just saying....
  4. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

They're tight.
  5. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

i don't know nuthin' bout nuthin', and i'm sure there are lots of reasons for hands going numb.

I get big numbness problems if my levers are not angled sufficiently down. they're seriously at like a 45 deg angle. Any flatter, and I get numbness, especially after several 5-6 hr days in a row.

I use pro-taper pillowtop grips, and they seem to help. The bike I ride the most (200xcw) has flex bars, and I think they might help a little too, but the difference is subtle, and may not be worth the rather significant expense.

I was thinking about carpal tunnel surgery until i clued into pointing the levers more down. I may still need it someday, but not today.
  6. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

That happens to me too, now it's worse because I put the BRP replacement clamp mounts that gets rid of the rubber ones, I'm going to try filling the bars with expanding foam and I have Pillow tops I'm going to put on.
    I was told that a Chiropractor can fix Carpal tunnel
  7. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

Yes, I have nerve issues too. Except mine is Ulnar nerve, not Carpal Tunnel.

I did find some product on the net called Buzz Kill, but it's $35 a tube.:eek:
  8. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

Im guessing its the '07 WR you are talking about? I had/have similar Ulnar issues and here is what Ive done in the past:

Triple clamps with rubber cone inserts
    Bolts (thru the rubber cones) tightened to approx 12-15 lbs ft with loctite
    OURY "Road" grips or ProGrip 714 "Rally Raid" grips
    1 1/8" alloy bars (ProTaper or Magura SX)

7/8" bars are very stiff and I swear the resonate and make matters worse.
  9. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Been been putting spray foam insulation in my bars for a long time (& have used silicone caulk too). It does help, some bars/bikes more than others, and not a huge difference, but I think noticeable enough that I'll keep doing it.

I tried pillowtop grips a couple years ago, like them at first but they wore way too quick for me and lost that comfort.
    On past bikes, Progrip 737 Rally grip worked well for me in vibration reduction, but I couldn't hang on to my 510 as well with them.
    Now using Spider M1 grips and really happy with those.

Even small bar/grip angle changes like motosapiens mentioned can help some.

I've noticed in the last few years my hands going numb on me a lot more than they ever used to.....especially after couple miles of long tight steep downhills some of our local trails have.....I have to take a hand off and shake it for a while to get feeling back.
    Guessing in my case it's probably more due to being at a PC much more, while getting heavier, and having to face the fact that I'm also just getting older with more joint/nerve problems.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I have bones broke in my wrist and big pain and swelling and it ain't going away or gonna get any better...Some of the same stuff JS7 has except it is now 20 yrs since mine was broke ...

Glucosamine & Chondroitin help the body re-heal this condition over time but it ain't going away ... I don't see u guys ages listed here..but if you are old...this stuff might help .... Wally world sells it ... It repairs the body and is not a a pain reliever such as aspirin or advil so I still take them also ... ride while you can because the body hurts more as u age :( and some day, u might get fed up with the pains :(
  11. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Glucosamine does seem to help my knee that I had surgery on a couple years ago....psyh therapist I had recommended the Kirkland (Costco) brand w/chondroitin, as it's suppose to be a higher concentration (& cheaper than name brand)

Never really thought much about it helping other joints, but didn't help any w/my hand numbness I personally get.

FYI: 51....an age where my mind still knows how to ride, but my body doesn't react quite as quick or willingly.
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Get rid of the 7/8 bars ASAP. Every time i ride a bike with them i hate the unforgiving feel. Flexxbars will help but yeah, expensive. Not a lot you can do other than try all these things to isolate the vibs.

BTW traded off riding my 2010 TXC250 with my buddies 07 WR250 Sunday and the difference in vibs was amazing. The TXC was WAY smoother. His WR put my hands to sleep ASAP.
  14. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I recently went from 7/8 bars to Easton bars (woods bend). I was really impressed with the bars. They had a nice, predictable flex. The Renthal Soft compound waffle grips also helped a ton. Too bad I sold the bike about 2 weeks after putting the bars on:banghead: Should have taken them off.

Also, I notice the full handguards will take some of the flex out of the bars, but seem to dampen some of the vibes.

Joshua
  15. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm 53, so I'm not old like you guys.:D We have some Chondroitin Sulfanate laying around here, but I'm not good about taking it.

My problem started after a bad crash on my trials bike a couple of years ago. I smashed my hand pretty bad in the rocks. Didn't break anything, but did lots of deep tissue damage. A combination of that and pinched Ulnar nerve at the elbow, plays havoc on my nerves. Went to the doc, and basically he said it can take a couple years for regeneration. Anyway, it's been that long and it has gotten better, but still annoying. I can race, but my hands go to sleep. I still have strength, but my hands feel like blocks while riding. Not as much of an issue trail riding, because I can stop and shake them out and they are fine, for another 10-15 minutes.

Anyway, I ordered some of the BuzzKill gel stuff. Expensive, but if it works a little bit, it may be worth it. I forgot to mention, I also own a KTM 450 and Honda 250 four stroke. I still get this syndrome riding those, but not as severe as with my WR250.
  16. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

I use the spider grips on all my bikes.

They come in two differant diameters and wear well.

I get mine off ebay
  17. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

I never thought of that, but I did notice a significant reduction in perceived vibration after putting on EE handguards and pillow-top grips. I don't notice it at all now. Might also just be getting used to the bike.
  18. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    get a lentgh of close to ID fuel hose, cut it to lentgh, fill it with silicone and after it dries stuff that in the bar. seems to help on some bikes.
  19. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Pillow top grips have helped me a lot.
  20. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Anyone try Vibranator inserts? 30 day money back guarantee. I bought a pair and will report back when I get them. I got 20% off using advrider code.