1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Hanging idle

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by m1kebeck, May 30, 2018.

1. m1kebeck Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    My 04 wr250 has some hanging idle issues when I’m rolling in gear say 3rd gear and I pull the clutch in the idle stays high then sort of fluctuates down slowly but goes up and down until it reaches idle and the bike sort of jumps as it fluctuates ever so slightly. Now I played with the mixture screw and idle screw and when I had it idling very low where it would stall without a bit of gas it ran great the issue was resolved. But at that setting it was wayyyy too low where I couldn’t come to a stop without it stalling if I didn’t give it gas right away, like as soon as the clutch was pulled in it wanted to stall so it needed gas. Once adjusted any higher I get the idle issue again. Could this be a jetting issue should I put a larger/smaller pilot jet? I’m pretty new to mechanics on the bike but I’m comfortable with taking a part the carb and jetting it I just don’t know how to tune it correctly. Also my spark plug was black which tells me it’s running a bit rich just wondering if this could be the issue and how I should go about trying to fix it. Thanks in advance!
  2. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    First thing to do is check the intake system for air leaks, particularly between the carb and the cylinder, cylinder base gasket and flywheel side crank seal.
    Then check float height in the carb- refer your owners manual or google for specs and method.
    Then and only then look at air screw / pilot jet adjustments.
    m1kebeck likes this.
  3. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    agree wit Oldscool on checking for leaks first
    that said, good quality (flammable) carb cleaner is the easiest way to check, while it's idling spray in front of the cab and if the idle rises find the leak
    m1kebeck likes this.
  4. m1kebeck Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Thanks a lot guys I’ll bechecking it out today.
  5. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Complete opposite for me !!! firstly you fit s new pilot jet of the correct size to see if that cures it as the one in the bike may be festering due to shitty fuel and if that dont fix it do all the above. 10 minutes work and a few bucks (if that) vs hours of toil trying to get to the bottom of the problem .
    m1kebeck likes this.
  6. m1kebeck Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    I bought a few different size pilots gonna try it out tomorrow