Harley-Davidson Shuts Down Buell, Plans To Sell MV Agusta

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by lairpost, Oct 15, 2009.

1. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

2. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Harley was stupid for buying Agusta in the first place. What possible good could come from it, even in good economic times? I think Harley is on the path to extinction as it's customer base continues to spiral down the potty. Most Harley riders I know at work are well into their late 50's. The ones in their 60's have sold the bikes due to failing health or lack of interest. IMO Harley is not long for this world.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Well that just sucks. Buell finally finds a foothold only to quickly loose it. Sad times.
  4. Aquavarna Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Typical Detroit mentality - They finally get a product right (Buell) and scuttle it. As far as MV that deal never made sense to me. Harley is probably paying some Accenture MBA's to come up with "best practices, synergies, alignment, vertical blah blah, and getting hosed out of money and real forward thinking while the executives enhance their change of control packages and the product line just survives on past greatness. Hyosung will be buying them from Obama soon.
  5. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Cynical we are...tough decisions in a tough economy. Right next to being a World Rally Car driver, I'd like to be a craftsman in the MV Agusta plant, better yet at Bimota. In another life perhaps. :)
  6. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Well that totaly blows. Was kinda thinking of selling my Buell. I guess I'll hang on to it now. Be nice to see Buell continue but with a different engine supplier. A guy can dream right?
  7. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

You see, that just doesn’t make sense to me at all ! :banghead:

Why not shut down Harley Davidson
    And pour all that money into Buell and MV Agusta ?????????????????????????
    :thinking: --> :bonk: --> :doh:

Am I the only one who think that is the logical step ?
    What is this world coming too I ask you……..

:thumbsdown:
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    They already have the rotax motor and it is a good one.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  9. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    The Harley Davidson brand is still very strong. Especially now the TV show, Sons of Anarchy is on. It attracts that type of personality to the biker clubs. My business partner is in a club. He lives and breathes Harley and they're getting new pledges every week. To join most of these clubs you can only ride a bike from an Allied power. That's mostly Harley, Victory, Indian and Triumph. No Italian and especially German made bikes. It's a whole different mentality.
  10. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Buell should regroup and run with the Rotax power plant. Think of it as a break up from a high maintenance girlfriend that they are better off with out.

Bombardier should buy MV Agusta!!! I would love to see a Can-Am DS/ADV bike from this continent. There has always been a place in my heart for Can-Am.

Rotax FTW!!! (for the win) :thumbsup:
  11. HuskyT Moderator

Do we get to storm the beaches at Normandy again? Time to pull out the XBox 360 and pop in Call of Duty again?

How is the TV show Darkside? Should I put it on the DVR list?

T
  12. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

the best idea i have heard so far in this issue. :thumbsup:

it's very sad to see eric buell's company go down, and for me it's even sadder to see the people at cagiva (agusta is only a brand; the company name is cagiva, even though the media don't notice) suffer.

r
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Why build this...

[IMG]

when you have this work of art...

[IMG]
  14. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    This is my favorite MV. I want one!!

[IMG]
  15. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    It's on FX tuesdaynights at 10p. Of course it's very theatrical. But it's also very entertaining. My partner, who's club is nation wide but not into the shady side of the law tells me the clubs that are into this sort of thing are quite violent and use intimidation to get what they want. They have a different idea of respect and if they think you disrespect them in any way, even look at them wrong, they'll beat the crap out you.
  16. WR BOB Husqvarna
    A Class

True that again. Sad in away. Maybe Hardly Davidson needs to look at BMW's business plan. Keep 1 or two of those big dummy bikes for the aging population and focus more on the future like the Buell line. Sell MVA and get back some cash if they can.

WR Bob
  17. twowheels Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    hoping for a WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    18 Beta 125RR; 16 TM 144/300
    Have You Been Riding Without Your Helmet Again?

Not sure what they do in Centereach NY, but here in Detroit we move the world. That's right - and we do it better than the Germans, Italians, Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese. Don't forget to do up your chinstrap next time out :lol:
  18. 420skirider Husqvarna
    A Class

Harley's not long for this world? Are you serious?
    I don't own one, but it is one of the most well known brands around the world. The profit margin off of their clothes and accessories is probably higher than the bikes.
    Trying to build sport bikes with cruiser motors was a flawed idea from the start IMO. The AMA had to make rules exceptions just so they could race.
    Personally, I would love to see a great American sportbike. I don't think it will ever happen though.
  19. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

H-D

i had read that one of the big reason to by MV was the distribution channel in europe to expand harley sales in europe and asia. hope it doesn't go the way of benelli.... wonder what will become of the super single they were developing ?? 60 BHP cassette gearbox radial valve..... so sad.......
  20. tadgh Husqvarna
    A Class

i dont personally like cruisers but i think you are right why try build a sports bike with the harley engine just to prove a point seemed crazy..ok so it can be done but it will never be competitive versus a jap sportsbike. seemed like a expensive excercise for no gain.

but surely the main harley brand is a cash cow, merchandise and the whole lifestyle aspect so they need to keep their core business going and ditch all the rest to survive. which would be a pity obv. for mv agusta but thats business..(and those italian manufacturers generally resurrect phoenix like from the flames every 10 years or so anyhow :lol:)