1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc hav u ridden 300ktm sx and 300wr husky?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sandgroper, May 29, 2012.

1. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has any had a chance to compare a 250sx with a big bore kit against a wr 300 husky? looking for opinions on which one has mor power. one writeup boasts how the ktm turns into a monster hmm.
  2. Kyspeedfactory Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    I have... Husky has more grunt to me... Like a big bore style power... Shane Obanion a local pro and does GNCCs says it has more power than his... Guess it depends on your style of riding
  3. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    No, but I recently rode an '09 300 xc-w in the dunes and open desert. I'm not biased against KTMs. I think they are very well made and they have a very loyal following. That said, I felt my '11 wr300 had much more snap down low and significantly more pull in the mid and on top. However, when using the kickstarter, the KTM was much easier to start than my Husky.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The WR250/300 are very strong bikes period. GREAT motor
  5. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    I think the new KTM 250sx has 49hp stock!! Its a pretty sweet motor. I have read the WR300 has 43 stock. Which if true, is 6 ponies straight out of the box before any mods at all. I am not sure what the torque numbers are though. My buddy has a 250sx, its pretty nice. Everyone seems to be making a nice bike these days. I would imagine a 300 kit on it would be a fun bike to ride.
  6. Steve-oh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04RM250, 05XR100,07PW80,41 Harley
    My buddy has an 08 KTM300 and he went for a rip on my 010 WR300 last weekend. He said my bike has way more jam than his. He's an intermediate rider, one level below pro, he's an awesome rider. My throttle is so positive/instant snap, I might install a throttle cam. The race head, 50t rear sprocket and 100 octane race fuel make the bike a beast. The race head was only $120 from Motorsportz (Thanks Kelly).
  7. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, after reading a few of the posts I managed to buy my 09 WR 300 back :D what a sight for sore eyes so nice to have it back
    and the guy only put 10hrs on it while he had it :) I have the race head already and replaced the mikuni with the kehin carb.

Now shes back I might give her new rings, dome piston and Platinum pipe from ProCircut. Maybe this combined with dropping the front from 14 to 13 will help her get up and go :D Thanks fellas.
  8. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    welcome back - that makes two of us . Its fun to play .
    Not enough power - those open sand dunes must drain the power -
    Id try using a modded mikuni I reckon thats maybe why youve lost top end - try the old mikuni again
  9. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

KTM300 is in a much milder state of tune than a Husky.
  10. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    My friend has a 2012 KTM300. We went riding a couple of months ago and swapped bikes for a few miles. My WR300 had way more power across the board, and turned much better too.
  11. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

seems i made the right choice then hey :). i like the husky, out of all the bikes ive owned its the only one that i really feel at home on and in full control of. i like the raw power delivery :) anyone here made some power improving mods?
  12. haulin husky7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 txc310, 2000 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 TM 300en, 93 KLX650R, 1975 XR75
    Get a DEP expansion pipe, smoothed the lower end hit and made the top and mid pull harder and longer on my 250.
  13. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

havent heard pf Dep before, just looked thr site. they have one for the 250, do u think the 300 needs a different pipe?
  14. Kyspeedfactory Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    I didn't think mine did.. Put a p/c on and it is 100% better... Smoothed out the hit...
  15. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

i like the hit mainly looking for a bit more bottom end, thinking of machining the flywheel as well.
  16. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

heres my take after riding a ktm for about 2 years and then riding my husky for the 1st time last night.

in the controls department, the ktm has more of a natural set up. the huskys all work fine but the cable clutch faded on me. (normal w how i use my clutch) the rear brake lever will need pulled out more from where it is stock. id like the shifter to be mabey just a tad longer and a bigger folding tap put on. clutch pulls nice (lubed it up really well) and the brembo brakes are the best out there (same as ktm). foot pegs seem to be a bit further back then the ktm and (for me) seems to make it a bit harder to stay forward sometimes. other times it makes it easier.

suspension........... i cannt tell you how happy i am with the KYB/sachs set up. all i have done is set sag ang and resprung for my weight. works very good for only $200 worth of springs. i have around $700 invested in my ktm and it still has a kick to it. its not as bad as it was stock but its there still. the wp forks (closed chambers) are great units (that i took off my xc, didnt care for the stock xcw forks when i bought the bike i had a set up set of xc forks that went on in their place). though the take a bit of tuning, once they are set up right youll love them. i seem to burn though a mess of fork seals, seal savers do extend their life quite a bit.

the wr will never in a million years be able to match the top speed of a xcw and still maintain good woods gearing.

gotta head to work.........

ok break time!

so anyways.

im used to riding with a steering stabiliser and i think putting one on the husky would only help things out.

i dont have the speedo/odo hooked up at this time. the ktm unit is nice and the husky one has lots of options judging by the manual. the husky has an ungodly amount of wiring that goes with the odo is my only gripe about that.

not sure about what some people are talking about with the husky having a monster hit? it isnt any more then the ktm's (2010 300xcw w v-force 4's w the soft PV spring gnarly pipe fmf Q silencer). both have nice power. (husky has FWW gnarly pipe the rest is stock).

the ktm seems to have a better over rev then the husky, im suspecting carberation differences on that though.

like ive said before, the ktm has possibly the best owners manual out ther for any bike. the husky probably has the worst of anything ive owned (yam, kaw, husky, ktm).

all in all. the husky isnt a bad choice. theres lots of options out there if youd like to tailer anything on the bike to your needs.

on my wish list is a Keihin carb and a magura or some other hyd clutch so the pull is always consistant.

gotta add tubliss as well, but thats just me [IMG]
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Having ridden lots of KTMs and WRs I'd say your right on point with your assessment.
  18. ZZ76P Husqvarna

I had a 2010 KTM 300 EXC from new but got rid of it after 18 months because I spent all my time trying to get the handling right. I could never trust the front end. Adjustable powervalve was ok- eventually just kept the softest spring in. Hydraulic Clutch - I broke two of these when the Handguards moved in small crashes- thats $600 I had to spend, whereas a cable clutch perch costs me $20. I didn't like the feel(lack of) of the clutch and didnt find it much lighter than my YZ250. Electric start was un-relaible (Couldn't trust it to start from a dead engine start for racing but on the trail it'd be fine), other than that build quality was excellent.
    Have a 125 WR Husky and the handling is brilliant - really inspires confidence - so I bought a WR250 on the strength of it.

KTM people seem to spend all their time looking at suspension re-valving and the Husky chat seems to be mostly about jetting. - Jetting is way cheaper and I can do it myself. Will be sticking with the Huskys.
    john01 and Dirtdame like this.
  19. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

beleive me, i fought with my front end for a while! once you get it there its great. for me getting it to hook up was a matter of using the correct springs and setting the sag properly. the valve work just made it better.

im as happy with springs as i am with valving. id say the suspension edge goes to the husky. atleast as far as hop on and ride goes i guess. id still like a steering stabilizer like i said.