heads up on TE 449/511 relays sticking and corrosion...

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by huskylove, Jun 7, 2014.

1. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Hey guys just a heads up, my 511 was having the dash stay on for 20 minutes at a time i took the entire bike apart looking for a short....nothing....then all the sudden back to normal, okay cool.

I got a front flat and let it sit for about 2 weeks, got it fixed went to fire it up and it would cough and die immediately like the battery was dead....

Battery had 12.7v so thats good, but noticed my fuel pump wasnt running....re-check wiring all good....go to my manual find the starting relay, and tap on it with a wrench. Voila! Starts and acts normal.....

Pulled the connector off the relay and I have green corrosion at the bottom of the relay plug, which indicates water getting in there. It must also have affected the relay itself. Must be from washing/or steam from the headerwrap after some water crossings, or starting after it was washed.

So this is one application where dielectric grease would have helped. So to fix it I am going to use liquid electrical tape on the backside of the connectors as they are quite open and not weatherpoof at all.

I am also eventually going to relocated the relays higher where my airbox used to be to avoid getting them wet during washing. But with less than 1000 miles this is dissapointing to have this issue.

All 3 of the relays had green residue in the plugs one with obvious signs of arcing on one of the pins. So some cleaner, de-ox on the female, and dielectric in the relay. Then wrap some electrical tape over the whole thing....

You should check yours and probably seal them up also. Maybe order some spares? I know I will....even if they got to come from japanland.

Happy riding!
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  2. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    Green death is very dependant on the habitat your bike lives/rides/resides in.

If you have salty or high iron content in the water it will cause this regardless of the protection you put in place.

I live with/use rain water at home and have never had an issue with electrics corroding. On the other hand I work at an Iron ore mine and with high than normal salt levels in the water. GreenDeath is in everything no matter what lengths we go through to protect electrical components.

I do suggest taking precautions to slow down corrosion especially if you live in an area prone to it.

Reference: I'm an Auto Electrician.
  3. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I got some deoxit on the contacts.....then used liquidelectrical tape on the back of the connector and what not to seal it all up, then did a buncha wraps of electrical tape...

Also did the liquid electrical tape trick on most of my connectors on the bike....makes me feel safer.

Rode a bit today to get breakfast and then lunch....no issued now :) everything comes on and turns off when it should.
  4. huskydude59 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I know it's a late reply but my bike died on a ride. Pulled out the coil plug and it had water and corrosion. Tried hard to fix but the test values on the coil look stuffed so I am trying to get a new one... Not sure on the female plug thou.... Time will tell. I use enox on all my plugs now. Gunna have to make sure I check at service intervals
  5. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I am going to be doing a valve check here shortly, and will put another coat on both sides of all the connectors back and around where they join to try and help it. I do wash my bike often and that is most of my issue.