1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Heck, why not - Pipe test

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Doing some maintenance on my 165 today in prep for tomorrows ride. New CS sprocket, new longer Shifter tip, bolt check, etc. Looking at my old 125 Doma pipe hanging from the ceiling and thinking, hey I dont think I have ever tried my 125 Doma pipe on the 165 for any length of time and never with the Lectron. Wonder how EZ it will fit? I have a early KTM 200 pipe thats all modified on it now, it works very well and is all bottom and mid. The 125 Doma use to impress me with mid. So I rip the pipe off real quick and realize this is going to drop right on. I guess it should it came off this bike but thought the mounts might not be right. Swivel the mounts and it bolts right up. Rode it up and down the street. Seems to run nice. Good enough to get me through tomorrow. Should be interesting.

Doma 125 pipe.

[IMG]

As you can see below the KTM 200 pipe is longer and has a much longer stinger before the muffler. Makes great bottom and mid but falls on its face on top. I like it but you need to short shift some.

[IMG]
  2. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    Nice, looks like it'd be similiar to my fmf fatty.

Interested to see what you think. With all the variety's of pipes for the 165, I find it hard to commit. I think the 200 fatty would serve me well in the woods. But if I get on the track/pits I think I would want something with more top end. I'm still impressed at the top end of the 125's even after riding the 165 for a while.

I see you've got an 18" rear now, how is it? I'm jealous of your sidewall.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep just got the 18 on there. I like it. Seems like a more forgiving ride and some increase in traction. I got it mainly as I wanted to mount a Dunlop 803 Trials tire for winter roots and rocks. Then I ended up with some tires to test (STI) and tried that 18" knob you see there. Very good tire so far.
  4. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    odd air filter set up. be no good for creek crossings id imagine!:lol: how high do you run your bars mate? underbar mount & risers? looks tall. keep all these posts comin Kelly, good readin!
  5. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I am still running a 125 fatty and to me its running good all over - I thought it was hitting a wall up top but then i remembered I had retarded the timing slightly due to detonation worries and now with standard setting it seems good again - need to take it for another decent ride. For me the power is just about right
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I ran it real quick once before in the parking lot of a staging area. As I remember it was down on power from the FMF that comes with the kit. (200 pipe) We will see shortly.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Stock bar mounts (over the bar damper) and tall woods bars. Still want it slightly higher for me.
  8. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I rode my (new to me) 165 a few days ago and did the same thing. I had the 200 pipe on it, and tried a stock 2011 125, and 09 125 Fatty pipes.

It was a limited test, because time was tight, and the weather wasn't great, but the stock husky pipe felt better than the Fatty. Bottom end power was very good, but (and this was probably the weather and jetting) whenever I got on it hard, at the time I think the PV was opening, it sounded like it backfired through the carb. I didn't let that happen more than once with each pipe. Once I put the 200 pipe back on, it ran fine, and pulled hard everywhere. I want strong low end for the woods, so I might try the 125 pipe again when it's warmer, but I'm not sure there's an advantage over the 200.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Did a good gnarly 76 miles ride yesterday with the Doma 125 pipe on it. I like it. HAs slightly more just off idle, a Little less int he 18/-1/2 throttle region and revs out further and make more on top. The KTM 200 pipe you ride it more like a 250 and short shift and grunt it around. The 125 Doma pipe has a little less power but spread over a much larger RPM range and you tend to want to ride it more like a 125. At first i was like meh, but after getting used to it I was very happy. Its going to stay on for now. I was having one f those in the zone days yesterday. This bike does that a lot for me but yesterday was even better. The new pipe was fun and working good, the new tires rocked, the extended shift tip made shifting way EZer, I was just in that zone and flowing all day. Was leaving a buddy for dead all day that is usually pretty good at keeping me honest. Was a good day.

Was a good tire testing day. Slick clay and rocks covered in 2 inches of decomposing fall leaves

[IMG]

Lots of slick down tress and mud

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Some open fast stuff that was fun

[IMG]

then more swampy spring mess

[IMG]

Tires worked great in this stuff

[IMG]

What you cant see under all those leaves is roots and rocks everywhere, keeps you honest.

[IMG]

Adam on his TE310

[IMG]

[IMG]

Deep mossy woods, love it

[IMG]
    Aviduser and rockdancer like this.
  10. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    sounds like how the 125 fatty feels . smooth right from the start and quiet a nice top end. I am always jealous of the ride pics.
  11. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    Nice ride blog, I'm suprised you like the 125 pipe. Seems we've yet to find the best all around pipe for the 165. Hoping the newer ktm 200 doma is the ticket
  12. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    The best "All Around" pipe is the KTM 200 Fatty if your trying to establish a standard. but that is totally dependent on your riding style! I prefer a different pipe personally, but it makes unreal mid power IMO.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Agree. That pipe is slightly soft right off the bottom but absolutely rips mid and top. Seems if you want grunty 250 like power The older KTM 200 Doma pipe has a bunch but you trade it for top end. This 125 Doma pipe does not make near as much top as the FMF Fatty but has a nice spread of power across the range. The cool thing is your only a pipe away from the Powerband you want.
  14. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I actually liked the low end power of the stock 2011 125 pipe over the 125 Fatty on mine. I will test some more when the weather is a little more amenable.
  15. Rollie Wolk Husqvarna
    AA Class

But Kelly, I hit that one bump and went BRAAAAAAAPPP...... That was cool looking right?
    MotoMarc36 likes this.
  16. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    Wonder if it's the same story for the older frames/pipes. I'd think if the fatty gave my 125 more bottom/mid it'd do the same for the 165. Might try if for the heck of it
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Yes as were your wheelies. :thumbsup: