1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Hello Husaberg....

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by venturini, Oct 5, 2013.

1. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TC 250 '13 CR 150 '11 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    Well, this looks like the "unveiling" of the new line. Three pages of "news"

http://motocross.transworld.net/1000153468/features/husqvarna-is-back-in-2014/?src=SOC&dom=fb

Just white Husabergs. No 150 2T mentioned, 5 speed tranny in the 250 2T (weird since the KTMs are 6 speed), no 310 but a "new" 350 instead (with a 5 speed--too bad again)...I kinda hope Transworld looked at the wrong page as in this is really the Euro line but, regardless, if they are the Euro line, this couldl/would be the HusqNA line-up for '15.

No mention of suspension except on the 85---WP all around most likely.

I might have to get one of those 85 2Ts though for my niece and/or nephew in a few years and turn it into a 105.
  2. Watky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr150
    http://www.enduro21.com/index.php/component/k2/item/1343-first-look-–-2014-husqvarna-models
    Yep WP 4CS forks on all the sizes.
    Shame husqvarna no longer exist other then a sticker kit.

I would like to know, does this KTM engine still suffer from short life and blown up issues in the 144/150 form that the KTM's have suffered with?
    Can this KTM engine in 125 guise get 50+ out of a set of rings and still be within spec?
    Where is the gearbox oil sight glass that makes checking gearbox oil level a 5 second job?
    Will the purchase cost of the bike be the same as husqvanra was & will spares be the same, or will it be a case of grab the lube and bend over on both occasions.
  3. Joedints Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300 13 WR125 81 WR430 82 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZR7-S

When I asked around other parents (that were racers also, whom most were KTM riders) in the Kids HS series about a kx 85/100 vs ktm105 for a new bike for my son, everyone told me to say away from the KTMs.

SORRY.....
    EDITTED ABOVE THEY ONLY TOLD MY TO STAY AWAY FROM THE 105'S
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Correct just like we were all speculating for the last 6 months.

Same motor so same results i would imagine.

Sight glass or bleed screw I would think, both EZ.

Yes bend over. Speaking from my personal local experience with KTM dealers (your milage my vary)... be ready for arrogant KTM dealer mode (at least thats what I feel about current KTM dealers). Bills in Salem Oregon will be an exception to this rule.
  5. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    I'm glad we're set up for another year on our Italian variants! This plastic exchange just depresses me. :confused: Giving them some time to do their engineering magic to get us back to unique, and then kick a little KTM backside. Does anyone know if there is any "original Husqvarna engineering lineage" at work for "3rd generation Husqvarna brain trust"? Can you imagine going into a Mercedes dealership and seeing a SL550 with Lamborgini badges on it? HaHa Only saying it is what it is...
  6. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC

Interesting. If you go to KTMTalk and read through the 65, 85, 105 forum there are very few issues with the newer KTMs. The 09-14 65 really only has issues with jetting which can be cured with a kit similar to the JD Jetting kits. The 13-14 85s have had some crank failures with the new design but aftermarket fixes are available to address that at the time of rebuild. Some have gotten 40 hours, some are on 100 plus with the stock crank. I've bought four KTM minis ('07 50 SR, '06 65, '11 65, and '12 85 SXS). ZERO major problems with any them---biggest issue was front brake failure on the '11 65 and some brake fade on the 85--both are being addressed with a simple MC rebuild kit. There are also options available to improve the front brakes on the 85s (different caliper pistons) but one of the first things I wanted on my '13 CR 125 was for the front brakes to be as strong as my KTM 250XC.

In the end, both KTM and Kawi 85s are good bikes. KTM has a smoother hit so, for HS, that's what I wanted for my nephew. Our series is pretty small in the mini ranks but I only saw two Kawi's all year--one at a race in IL, and one at a race in WI. After years of looking through different forum, it seemed the common thought was that Kawi's lack bottom and hit harder in the mid---65 and 85---great for moto but I want a smoother bike for my nephew.
  7. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC

I think you are referring to the 07-08 144----the exhaust ports were poorly designed causing the rings to catch on the port and snap. That was resolved in 09 and the bike was renamed the 150 to escape the stigma.

No, don't expect 50+ hours if you're riding it hard but when it's time to rebuild at least the parts won't be backordered. Took me two weeks just to get a countershaft seal for the CR due to backorder---I'd have had it in 1-3 days shipped to my house for the KTM.

The KTM 150SX was, IIRC, $200 more the the CR125. But used KTMs 2 strokes hold their value pretty well unlike the Husq so you will get the $200s back, and much more when you sell it so initial cost isn't that big of an issue with the 2T. The 4Ts are about $1000 more new which, I agree, is getting ridiculous, but, again, when you go to sell it in a few years in will command a much higher price than the same year/displacement Husq.

I definitely agree about the thing left is the logo on the sticker kit but, what did people say when Cagiva took over? My CR 150 motor which I do love is really a Cagiva design so..........
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    wow really? I find the husky brakes to be amazingly powerful. Almost to much so.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    very true as well as the 250/300. But in the end those turned out to be great motors regardless of origin or age. One of the Australian mags did a test on the TM, KTM, GG and WR 300's and the WR300 was crowned king in the motor department.
  10. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC

REALLY! The second thing I noticed coming off of the KTM 250 XC was that the front brakes on the CR seemed weaker----the first thing I noticed was how much slimmer the Husq was in the tank/shroud/seat area. Husabergs were a bit slimmer than KTM of equal model so hopefully that carries over (it should since it was the tank and shrouds that made the Husabergs slimmer)
  11. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC

Oh, no doubt it is/was a great design but it still cold have been refined a bit. Was an electric starter and simple ignition map switch outside of the Italians grasp on a 2T.

Don't misunderstand my posts---I have both KTM and Husq. I like both brands but Husq sat on it's butt for way too long with the 2T---at what point did they decide "Hey, Yamaha's been making the same 2T since '06 but KTM has continued to refine their 2Ts and are killing Yamaha in sales---let's go with the 'if it sold in 06 then it will sell today' approach" ? I hear the "yeah, but they are bullet proof"---great, so was the CRF 70 and KLX 110L I bought for my niece but, given the choice, she chose the KTM 65 after 5 minutes and no longer wants to fuss with to 70 that she had loved for 1 1/2 riding seasons. Bullet proof is great but not everyone is looking to buy a bike based on whether or not it will last ten years on the same bottom and top end---some people want tech advances and are willing to suffer the growing pains that come with it.
  12. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    The 85 has 2 different wheel sizes too. I'm hoping just a wheel swap is all that will be needed. I also have to get over the price it will more than likely be lol
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Absolutely. :thumbsup: Add to that is is a slightly heavy motor as well.
  14. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    Yeah, built like a tank. In the end, that same thing was the doom of the CRF 70 for my niece----a 62 lb girl vs. a 143 lb bike that doesn't want to start when dropped in a corner out in the middle of woods with no sweeper coming along for 20 minutes to help her makes for a poor "race" bike. The KLX 110 will still be running 10 years for now too on the original motor but it's 168 lb--ten years from now she'll likely barely tip the scales at 100 lb.
  15. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC

Yes, a bit of a module set up---like the concept of the KTM 250 2T---same basic motor but 3 different factory heads and three different CDIs to choose from plus an externally adjustable power valve with three different main power valve springs to choose from and 6 (IIRC) secondary power valve springs to choose from. Very tuneable motor.

With the 85 you can make the motor a 105 and leave the smaller wheels, leave it an 85 and add different wheels or make it a big wheel/105 combo. Very well planned out (unlike their new crank design for 13 and 14, unfortunely)
    LandofMotards likes this.
  16. Watky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr150
    The TE125 comes with an 11 litre tank - Bonus. Seat height specs seem to be a lower
    If these are to be sold through our existing husqvarna dealers here in AUS, depending on the price premium they may come with when they land here next year it will be a hard decision to either go the 2013 wr125 or the new huskaberkato TE125.
    Need a bike that can be registered so unfortunately the wr150xc has to go :mad: shame the 2013 wr125 didn't come with a 144 kit in our country.
  17. Joedints Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZR7-S
    Sorry... I was told that only about the 105's not the 85.... Corrected above...

Although one person praised the 105 for the reasons stated above.... He put an 85 cylinder on his son's 105 with a small wheel combo then adjust engine/wheel sizes as he grow.
  18. Joedints Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZR7-S
    I ended up with a used KX85 for my son, when I purchased it, it came with both, standard 17/14 and the 19/16 big wheel kit along with the longer swing arm. and a host of other goodies, larger tank, 3 air filters, pr tapers and a few more
    LandofMotards likes this.
  19. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    My 2 cents on the kid bike thing. Truthfully the orange thing was cost prohibitive when we started and the dealer was not really my favorite. And if I remember right the crank problem was about this time also...
    Just like you guys we started with the four stroke thing and then went two stroke. I ended up buying a used RM85 and went thru it. Ended up a simple and cheap setup; that kicked ass, for him to go and rip around on. They do have the same setup, 85cc and two different wheel sizes.

One of his all time favorite bikes, big wheel Rm110 with the PR2 motor build. Absolutely ripped across the board! We have had a blast putting the 'odd' machines up against the crowd with great success. Hopefully the price of the 'new' 85 is something attractive to get and keep brand riders, no matter who is making them. We lucked out, our local Husky dealer did not have any kid offerings so he supported us even though we were yellow(and Red)! Ended up getting him two national championships on the brand he does sell...

Food for thought and again; just my 2 cents, keep the kids rippin!:thumbsup:

Little history at the end of the thread below...
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/he-may-be-getting-the-hang-of-this.23497/
  20. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    I can't help but feel that this whole Husky bought by KTM thing is a cruel joke. After riding KTM's for years, and loving them. I finally buy a Husky ('06 WR125) after lusting after them for years, and now Husky's are KTM's.

What da?!!!

I really hope Husqvarna rebounds with its own engineering and brand identity and keeps loyal to what they built in the past, at least when it comes to 125/144's. They are such great bikes and were unique IMO. That's why I bought one.

And very interesting discussion on the kids bikes. I bought two "blowed up" KX100's this summer, can't wait to find the time/$ to resurrect them.