Help - Bike idles and runs hot - bigger pilot jet?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Kyleot, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Kyleot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC450
    I have had some trouble the last several months of my bike (05 TC450) idling hot and boiling over often. Many times after stopping I have about 15 to 20 seconds to idle before I boil over. I haven't adjusted my jetting yet because I have great throttle response and overall good performance I just have to keep moving... I am getting my son into riding with me now, but have had trouble now waiting for him to catch up and coaching due to my heat problems. I am thinking that may be I need a size or two larger pilot jet. I have tried different coolants and looked for fans, but have had no luck. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks for the help!
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Possible leaky head gasket, possibly caused by loosened head bolt(s).
  3. Freaky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250 x-lite Race ECU/Injector
    Are your radiators OK? Not blocked or bent?
  4. Kyleot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC450
    Quick update : Tonight I warmed up the bike, and ran at a high idle. Slowly closed the air fuel screw. No change in the bikes engine speed. Slowly opened back up to 4.5 turns open before bikes engine rev'ed up like expected. I think I'm running lean. I'm going to check to pilot size and look into a larger pilot. Sound like the righ track? Radiators are good, and top end lots are torqued. Thanks again for the help!
  5. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Clean the pilot jet with a single strand of copper speaker wire, wrapped around your finger to make a floppy spring-like shape, drag that thru the jet a couple of times, see if it looks any bigger by looking thru it at a light.
  6. Kyleot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC450
    Thanks! I will give t a try and repost how it goes.
  7. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Also check your rubber intake boot for leaks.
  8. Kyleot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC450
    Quick update - I ended up replacing the #42 pilot with a #48. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet to confirm, but it did get air/ fuel screw down to 2 turns, from the previous 4-5 turns open with the 42 and 45. I am hoping to give it a go today and check to see how everything adds up. "Older" - I hadn't thought about the rubber intake boot, but I'll check it too. I replaced that within the last year, so as long as it's on tight... It should be okay. Also, I tried cleaning out the 42 with some wire as you suggested, and it was a little gummed up. But I still think it was too lean from the get go. I will repost after I get a chance to ride and check it out.
  9. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    That's makes good sense, that many turns on the smaller jets indicated athe need to go bigger, your gas mileage should go down as well as your operating temps, and power should go up!
  10. Wade Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR450 ''04
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1 2010 Rossi
    I'd sure like to know how your situation turns out, cause if your 05 TC issue is anything like how my 04 SMR was with overheating and boil over for the past 2 years along with losing clutch.... here is what I tried and eventual resolution. Bare in mind that the bike would idle great and had loads of power and torque, however, after about 45min, would start to rise in temp (and lose clutch) all of a sudden on a hard ride or anytime at idle..... Only continuous riding at around 40mph would the bike temp remain normal.
    I replaced all of the following with varying results but same same eventual overheating (or should i say temp going out of control on the gauge i put on, so i would shutdown motor way before boil over).

Oversized fuel tank back to orig so as to allow more air flow thru radiator
    Larger main jet
    Larger pilot jet
    Radiator Spal pull fan on right hand side
    Spark plug
    High flow water pump
    High-flow radiator
    Silicon hoses
    Radiator caps
    Various coolants of all the top brands
    Checked water flow passages numerous times
    Radiator fin guards on and off
    Vortex Ignition back to Orig Ignition
    Down graded exhaust and header with good restriction
    Oil pump and all bearings changed out
    Piston, rings, connection rod and bearings
    Various Oils (Belray, Royal Purple, Castrol)
    Basically i went back to full stock

Then as a last ditch effort, I read somewhere of a cylinder being porous so instead of getting a new cylinder and spending that funds not knowing if that would be a waste as well cash as well, i sent the cylinder to rebuild by Halls and ordered piston/rings and a "Y" hose connector to replace the orig "T".

Once we put back in the rebuilt cylinder with piston and the Y hose connector, both the clutch and overheating issues have gone away. I can idle for long periods and hardly remember that i have a fan to turn on. We can ride long hard runs and she is normal on the temp and the temp would vary as would be expected for the condition of the ride and style.
    I have put back all modifications and still no issues for like 5 months now.

After over two years of high temp and clutch fade issues, just thought i'd share my experience with you all.
  11. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Did you put a new head gasket in when you reassembled? If so, do you have the old head gasket still around?
  12. Wade Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR450 ''04
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1 2010 Rossi
    Yup.... I did replace the head gasket on that particular rebuild.... I also replaced it other times on other works for bearing change outs, valve job or timing chain etc.. (we actually opened up this engine quite a few times for service since i got the bike, I'm sure it has been torn down at least or 8 times since 07). If I still have them around, not sure if i could tell which gasket was from that rebuild though. We actually had to tear it down agin since that rebuild..... turned out that some teeth were torn off the clutch basket. Anyhow, sounds like you may have wanted me to check something...?
  13. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG

When my bike ran hot, it turned out to be a leaking head gasket. If a head bolt gets a little loose, it will compromise the HG and create a weak spot where heat from combustion will transfer into the rads.
  14. Wade Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR450 ''04
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1 2010 Rossi
    Okay..... Understood. Don't think it was that this time but will keep that tip in mind for future.
  15. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    What is involved with "rebuilding" a cylinder and do you believe that the cylinder rebuild is what cured your overheating?
  16. Wade Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR450 ''04
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1 2010 Rossi
    I'm not sure if I used the correct terminology, however the rebuild was resurfacing the inside of the cylinder as far as i can tell. I had some scorching marks/lines and what i read was that this one fellow discovered that his cylinder block became so thin that it became porous and was allowing superheated gases into the cooling system.... so since there is no sleeve to resleeve, I sent it off to Jeff at Hall's Husqvarna to resurface. I did engrave the outer cylinder so i know it was the same one i got back.
    I sure do believe that the rebuild had a big part to play as well as the Y hose connector. With the original T hose connector i believe that the water pump and cooling system was favoring one radiator only (left side) and that was the side that did not have a fan that i could mount. The left side radiator was always scorching hot to the touch whilst the right side was usually much cooler to the touch. This was when testing before boilover of course.....