1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc help...front end setup

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Bryan M, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Bryan M Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    10 GasGas ec300, 12 Ducati Monster
    not sure how to describe this....here goes...picked up my first husky yesterday...new wr300.. like the bike very much, 2 issues i need to get sorted. This thing is a HANDFULL in the sand. It follows ruts like i have felt before. it flat out shot me off the trail yesterday. Im used to a very fast steering bike in the gas gas so i doubt its just needing to get used to the bike. Also compared to the Gas Gas this doesnt have much lowend.. i know the jetting is rich, lots of spooge. can a rich pilot cause a soft bottom that necessitates lots of clutch feathering in tight tecnical spots? What is stock jetting and what would be a good baseline for 4 to 6k feet 70 degrees.
  2. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    Assuming you still have the Mikuni on: I'm at 5,000 to 9,000 ft. and have a 430 main, 35 pilot, GAY needle with clip in the middle groove, screw is 2 turns out. Maybe 2.25 turns out. Motul was messy but it ran good with it. Went to AmsOil Interceptor at the same 50:1 and it runs as good or better than Motul 800 only a hint of spooge. Stock exhaust.
    All my clickers were set to the center of adjustment and I've left the front end alone, the rear I've had to turn up the rebound and down the compression to get rid of the bucking mule sensation over little jumps. I like the way this bike steers compared to the KTMs I've riddnen. I've never owned a KTM so its only limited time on them. I'm 6'0", 185#, so probably 200 - 205 full gear. I love the way this bike fits me without having to change a thing.
  3. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

you might look into springing your bike. then set your sag.
  4. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

It sounds like you need to set your sag properly. Also, moving the forks up in the clamps will help the bike steer a little bit heavier.
  5. Bryan M Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    10 GasGas ec300, 12 Ducati Monster
    ok, im going to rejet it tonight. So what came stock in the bike as far as jets go? and yes i still have the mikuni. Just curious as to what the stock ones were so i could see what the difference is. My base elvation is 4500 so those jets should work well. This mikuni is foreign to me, i can have the carb out and jets changed in about ten mins on the GasGas with a Keihn carb. As far as the front end goes, there is lots of room to drop them in the clamps( raising the front end off the ground) thats what i need to do to take some quickness out of the steering and make it more stable in sand right?
  6. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    I bought my 2011 new and the dealer included the jet kit with the GAY needle, 440, 430, and 420 main jets, and 50, 45, and 40 pilots. I think this is referred to as the power-up kit and is the only source for the GAY needle. I traded the 50 pilot for a 35 at a local shop and want to get a 32.5. Tried a 30 and it lost low end snap. What was in the bike was a strange set-up: plastic spacer on cable to only allow 1/4 throttle, 380 main, 17.5 pilot (!!!) and a needle with a dramatic taper at the end.
    You can change the main and pilot jets through the bowl drain bolt hole.
  7. bhab Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300, TC449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 2.9, KTM 200 XC-W
    Yep, bring the forks down in the clamps. It seems like most of the Huskies I see are set to about 10mm (2nd line). Go to 5mm minimum, if you ride mostly sand, try 2mm from the bottom of the caps.